A Request, Please

tennyson

Hi Devs.

I find my simming entering a new phase, where I am covering whole continents in the shape of a Tour.

In doing so, I try and find all the necessary Airports that will accommodate heavies (737+ airliners) and purchase them for the tour.

However, doing so, is not easy.

ORBX, like so many other scenery producers, don't always stipulate that their airport will support airliners.

As an example, I am about to embark on a UK Tour and have bought quite a bit of add-on scenery. On the ORBX scenery page there are quite a few airports to choose from in the UK region, but very few support airline traffic. Finding out if the airport is built for airline traffic is not always easy.

Would it be possible to add that to the descriptions on the scenery download pages?

One other thing I have found, and it would make the job of scenery selection easier, is a map and maybe inset of where the airport is located. That would make the choice much easier, too.

Finally, one other bugbear that I have found during these past year or so, is the ICAO Codes of the Airports. When planning with PFPX, Google earth, etc. it relies heavily on the ICAO code (which I thought was the most popular location descriptor) and this is not always available from the sites.

These are just some suggestions,  and thanx for the half price sale, John. ORBX is the best!

Regards,

Frank Cooper

You are right, Richard, and that is a great map, but I was sort of referring to something like the pic attached, which would make it a lot easier to see exactly where the airport was located immediately, instead of having to refer to the (wonderfully created) map, made by our good friend.

As I said, it's just a suggestion.

What about the ICAO code, Richard, maybe in the Heading?

Regards,

Frank 

FTXGlobe.jpg

We've had some suggestions in the past about embedding maps on the product pages on the website. It is on the roadmap, just not too sure when

3 hours ago, tennyson said:

Finally, one other bugbear that I have found during these past year or so, is the ICAO Codes of the Airports. When planning with PFPX, Google earth, etc. it relies heavily on the ICAO code (which I thought was the most popular location descriptor) and this is not always available from the sites.

I don't think we have any airports listed on the website without an ICAO code (with the exception of airports that do not have an ICAO code in the real world: YRC, TAP, etc). The only exception to this is airports that come in a multi-pack like KBLU.

Frank

A small tip you might find useful if you don't do it already.

I fly on "trips" in different parts of the world (wherever there is some form of ORBx scenery),  from one airport to the next.  When I am at the start point I save the scenario and call it "trip". I locate that file and create a shortcut on the desktop called "trip".  When I get to the next airport I shutdown and save the scenario "trip" overwriting the previous one. Then next time I want to do the next leg, I double-click "trip" on the desktop and there I am where I left off previously.

If I am on a flight and get called for dinner or have to go to bed, I just save the scenario where I am at in mid-flight and call it "trip".  Back next day, double click "trip" on the desktop and I am back where I was.  Very quick and convenient.

Nigel

Vancouver

Archived