P3D V4.2 CTD during approach to KSAN

5 hours ago, John Dow said:

If a user finds it doesn't work for them, the onus is on them to find what causes their issues. 

It takes two to tango. With my 40 years of coding experience, if I had access to the source code, I probably could determine the cause. But I don't, so all I can do is report the symptoms, and hope that the developer can follow them up. That is what I have done for numerous problems identified as a beta tester.

Other people may also have a problem with compatibility setting persistence, but not noticed it to date. This is how forum threads can help. If others now also notice it and report it, we may be on to something. If not, it's my own problem and I'll check my own system in depth. The other thing I've pointed out is that I find it to be related to whether a compatibility setting is checked or not. Again, that is something that people can check for themselves and report back, positive or negative.

I see lots of posts all over the place of users reporting problems, problems that I do not have. It's in the nature of the huge variability of computer systems that some will have problems and others not. I see no point in reporting that I personally don't have a problem, unless there is something specific about my setup that may be relevant and possibly helpful to those who are seeing the problem.

Slightly off topic but strongly related to the KSAN issue. I have a similar problem as I approach the Newfoundland coast from the east. With Vector installed the sim will crash with no error report. Event viewer shows it crashes in NTDLL.DLL. If I uninstall Vector there is no crash. The other members of my VA have reported the same issue, so it isn't just my system. Apart from FTX Global, I have no addon scenery in this area. I don't think it's an OOM as there is no OOM crash report. So it would seem Vector is the trigger for the CTD.

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

Slightly off topic but strongly related to the KSAN issue. I have a similar problem as I approach the Newfoundland coast from the east. With Vector installed the sim will crash with no error report. Event viewer shows it crashes in NTDLL.DLL. If I uninstall Vector there is no crash. The other members of my VA have reported the same issue, so it isn't just my system. Apart from FTX Global, I have no addon scenery in this area. I don't think it's an OOM as there is no OOM crash report. So it would seem Vector is the trigger for the CTD.

What aircraft are you using?  I am suspicious of the databases loaded into some of the payware aircraft, especially airliners.  in the past, if there has been a discrepancy between the data in a GPS or FMC and whatever base data is in the sim or scenery, it has caused issues, possibly CTDs.  If you fly the same approach in the default C172 do you get the CTD?

I know this is a P3D V4.2 forum, but since I am having similar issues (CTD on approach, CTD within 25nm and within sight of San Diego, CTD when starting a flight in KSAN, CTD when taking off down the runway) I decided I would provide my observation that I happened to notice this morning.  I am running FSX:SE using PMDG products, therefore VAS is always an issue when using ORBX scenery and this is to be expected.  Here is my setup for FSX:

FSX: SE
Orbx PNW, SC, Alaska South, Germany South. FTX Global (not vector)
Orbx KSAN, PAJN, KEGE
UT Live
GSX Ground Services
REX SkyForce 3D while running AS16 Weather Engine
Pro ATC X
Airhauler 2
Navigraph AIRAC and Charts

Ever since installing UT Live, I have had consistent CTD issues while at the same time dealing with getting as close as possible to max VAS usage.  I was doing my usual tweaking and testing to figure out how to make KSAN usable again.  I started up a PMDG 777 flight and was sitting at the parking spot for about 20 min while I was doing something else.  A Southwest 737 had landed and was taxiing to the gate.  Just before the 737 got to the gate, I had a CTD.  Then it dawned on me, what if something is wrong with the afcad file or better yet the gates?  I then turned off the animated jetways via FTX Central and tried again.  I was already at 3.86 GB VAS and 10.6FPS sitting at parking so I fully expected a CTD.  I waited about 40 min while traffic came and went.  I then proceeded to do my typical flight routine with all the above addons running (I did however turn off autogen to save a little on VAS).  I got to runway 09 for takeoff and VAS was steady but the FPS went down to 8.6fps, but was still playable.  I proceeded on my SID enroute east and then anticipated a CTD after flying a ways as FSX offloads some scenery, nothing happened.  I am currently at cruising altitude on my merry way and getting about 25 fps, down to 3GB VAS, and looking at the SOCAL ORBX scenery go by.  

I wonder if more than one of the programs I use have an option for animated jetways.  GSX, FSX, ORBX?  There is bound to be a conflict at some point.  These are just my observations and could be unrelated.  Hope this helps.

I just posted a new thread in the forum on this same issue - apologies, should have found this first. But anyway, I too am having the same issue. So it appears there is something common to all the users experiencing the problem. In my case, P3d wil crash without warning, to the desktop. I also cannot spawn at KSAN in a default AC. My sliders are all at the mid settings. I have no tweaks added to the cfg. I am running p3d 4.2, and have installed the update for KSAN. The problem still persists.

If someone can explain how to get the log from the Windows Event viewer, I can post that - I'm not familiar with how that works. 

I don't have this problem at any other airport. A solution is needed please. 

In trying to troubleshoot, I was able to determine that approaching KSAN to LOC27 from the east will not CTD. The issue is somewhere along the transition to ILS09, or approaching from the northwest. In fact, on a flight from KJAC on the BARET5 arrival, just before transition to final / ILS09, my computer had a BSOD - first I've ever had. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2018 at 5:33 AM, John Dow said:

What aircraft are you using?  I am suspicious of the databases loaded into some of the payware aircraft, especially airliners.  in the past, if there has been a discrepancy between the data in a GPS or FMC and whatever base data is in the sim or scenery, it has caused issues, possibly CTDs.  If you fly the same approach in the default C172 do you get the CTD?

Hi John, sorry for the delay in replying, I haven't logged into the forum for a while. In this case it was the PMDG 747v3. As far as I can see the problem was unrelated to navigation data (I use Navigraph in all my addons) and is caused by graphical problems in P3Dv4 which only exist when Vector is installed. It occurs not on approach to an airport but when approaching the coastline.

Hard to perform the same flight in a default 172 at 35,000 feet in P3Dv4.

Kevin

Archived