Windsock - make it simple?

FlyingBear

Hello,

First, I am aware of the background for why windsocks in FTX regions do not work in Prepar3d v4, and the big development effort it would take to replace the now static windsock library objects with Object Flow windsocks.

But could we please have the <Windsock> element instead? It is still there in the Prepar3d v4 SDK, I am talking about this one:

<Windsock
      poleHeight="5.5"
      sockLength="3.5"
      lighted="TRUE">
      <!-- Windsock data -->
</Windsock>

The advantage would be that automating that replacement would be significantly simpler than automating the Object Flow replacement, since the replacement is made in the same .xml file. In principle, the script would look for a <LibraryObject> entry with a certain GUID, and replace all those entries with a <Windsock> entry. All the parameters in the <Windsock> entry would be the same for each entry (pole color, sock color and so on), and the lat long and so on remain from the parent <SceneryObject> entry.

The <Windsock> element is not as pretty as the current <LibraryObject> windsock, but having a functioning windsock is a really critical aspect of a flight simulator in my view as a real-life pilot. Am I alone in that view?

Thanks,
/Bjoern

Welcome to the forums Bjoern.

I have to say that I whole heartedly agree with you. It is the only thing that I find disappointing in the Orbx world. And it does spoil the immersion and therefore the product. Surely enough time has passed since this problem became apparent, for a solution to be found. I truly hope that one will be found soon. 

Hi there,

Ed is correct in regards to the workload involved. Also, we never had plans to switch to Objectflow versions for the Region's enhanced airports because of the framerate hit that would incur for the hundreds of airports. That being said, for the newer und upcoming Regions, e.g., FTX Germany and FTX Netherlands, we created separate version of the airport files for P3D and FSX, with working windsocks in both (the P3D version using the default model). In addition, for the older Regions, we have started to convert to that same system, though it's a side project and thus takes a while; we're currently working on PNW.

Unfortunately, there's not really an option to automate this process via external "scripts" etc. because the key for us is to properly maintain the source files (ADE etc.) given that we may need to make other changes -- related to P3D compatibility or otherwise -- in the future. 

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for the feedback, appreciate the explanations. Great news that you are working on the older regions, I fully understand that it takes time!

I was thinking you maybe already used build scripts and .xml post processing as part of your production flow and the windsock replacement would be just another post processing script entry, but if you have managed to keep everything in the ADE source code and compile directly from ADE I get why introducing a script for this particular issue would be impractical. Bummer, thought I had come up with something. :)

Thanks,

/Bjoern

23 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

Ed is correct in regards to the workload involved. Also, we never had plans to switch to Objectflow versions for the Region's enhanced airports because of the framerate hit that would incur for the hundreds of airports. That being said, for the newer und upcoming Regions, e.g., FTX Germany and FTX Netherlands, we created separate version of the airport files for P3D and FSX, with working windsocks in both (the P3D version using the default model). In addition, for the older Regions, we have started to convert to that same system, though it's a side project and thus takes a while; we're currently working on PNW.

Unfortunately, there's not really an option to automate this process via external "scripts" etc. because the key for us is to properly maintain the source files (ADE etc.) given that we may need to make other changes -- related to P3D compatibility or otherwise -- in the future. 

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for your reply Holger. Even though I don't understand the technical aspects,  it's good to know that the problem is being worked on. You are the only one who I know of,

who has given an explanation.

Archived