Weird texture overlay issue - random golf courses?

737-8FE

Hi guys,

I seem to have a weird texture overlaying issue with FTX AU in P3D 4.1. This particular issue I initially noticed in the Melbourne area but upon further investigation seems to happen in other areas across FTX AU but mostly in the southern regions. 

For some reason it appears that wherever there is supposed to be a golf course I get this ugly 'default' looking texture that is clearly incorrect and does not blend with FTX textures at all. I cannot for the life of me work out the problem, I have spent the last day searching previous topics here but have not found anything that has been able to solve my problem. I did read something about adjusting some settings in Vector but I don't use ORBX Vector or FTX global or openLC. Just FTX AU and some AU airports and OZx. The funny thing is, disabling all ORBX and addon scenery and running P3D default I still get this weird texture. I have a friend also running FTX AU in P3D 4.1 and his textures seem to appear normal. I have attached 2 screenshots of how mine looks and how his looks to show you that I am indeed experiencing some incorrect and random texture that is bleeding through my FTX textures. I also attached a 3rd screenshot to show the problem happening right next to YPAD and a strange water issue that seems to appear when on final to runway 05. I have tried many things, recompiling the scenery and terrain cfg and moving ORBX AU to the top (just to test). I have also tried forcing the remigration of the unified lclookup. Nothing I have tried seems to fix it.

I haven't tried reinstalling FTX AU or ORBXLIBS yet but I have a strange feeling that isn't going to fix it. However that is my next step.

fUXRX8z.jpg
Incorrect texture (issue I am experiencing)

TVAlKNt.jpg

Correct texture

ytwofpT.jpg
Issue in YPAD

Anyone have any ideas?

The golf course one looks like the default golf course texture has been replaced in the textures folder by some other texture, probably because of an install routine or issue.

You should be able to repair your P3DV4 textures by cutting and pasting your texture folder to somewhere safe, then running the repair function in the P3DV4 installer.  Once your install has been repaired you can delete the moved folder.  However if for any reason it makes things worse, just return the original folder.

I suspect it's not a good idea to run FTX Central during this process.

Hi John,

I am assuming you mean the Texture folder in the main root directory of P3D?

Also I just tried reinstalling FTX AU and that didn't fix it. I will try your instruction now and see how it goes. Also after repairing that texture folder would I need to re-install any ORBX stuff that may replace files in there?

I tried your suggestions but as you mentioned it seemed to screw it up even more, now I have flickering and incorrect textures/squares all over the place. I wonder what has caused this. I may have to re-install everything.

I should mention after trying those above suggestions restoring those backups seemed to make it even worse. So I thought instead of reinstalling all of my orbx add-ons again I'll just reinstall the sim. 

That particular golf course texture was there on a complete vanilla p3d installation without any add-ons installed so I guess that proves that this texture is a p3d default texture. 

What I don't understand is why it seems to overlay on top of Ftx?

Hi I am having a major scenery error now within P3D and Orbx. I have now tried reinstalling 4.1 and re-installing all of ORBX scenery to no avail. These are the results I have now and I cannot for the life of me fix it. This is happening on a vanilla clean installation of P3D and installing all of my ORBX addons through FTX Central V3 right after. I only own FTX AU and most of the AU airports that is it. I have tried re-ordering the scenery library nothing works, not even rebuilding the terrain cfg.

Surely someone else has had this issue or knows of a fix? I can't work out how it is happening on a completely fresh installation.... Default textures are bleeding through everywhere...

YoIdZRS.jpg

Rb9Dl2T.jpg

5 minutes ago, John Dow said:

You've done the forced migration through FTXC3?

Hi John, 

I have done it each time, I decided to run it again to see if anything changes. Funny enough it seemed to lessen the 'severity' of the problem but I still have the random default golf course textures bleeding through where FTX textures should be.

Another problem is that when you uninstall P3D/FSX unless you remove the entire folder, as well as all the entries in your User area, there will still be information that might be clashing with the new install.  Did you hunt down and wipe out all traces of the previous install?

26 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Might have to let Nick Cooper look at this one, I'm out of ideas...

That would be great if anyone else could shed some light. I'm starting to think maybe it is a bug that no one has realised? Never had this issue in FSX or earlier versions of P3D.

45 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

How is your scenery library ordered?

It may not be the solution but should be at least ruled out.

Hi Nick,

It is ordered as default from FTX Central 3. I downloaded/installed all my addons in one hit.

ORBXLIBS is at the top followed by Holgermesh AU, then my FTX AU airports/cityscapes and then the FTX AU scenery areas (scenery/shores/custom) which all sit on top of Bathymetry. At this stage I haven't installed any other addon scenery while troubleshooting. I can attach a screenshot of the order if you like but thats how it is at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

I would have a look at mine but I have no idea where your screen shots are.

Hi Nick,

The first screenshot in my original post above is roughly a few NM east of the Melbourne CBD. If you follow the yarra river (from the CBD) and that main freeway it will take you to this large golf course area of which you can see in my sim is displaying the wrong texture (evident by the different colour and rough edges which dont blend in).

The third screenshot in my original post is on final to runway 05 at YPAD (adelaide airport), right as you fly over the shoreline on final the autogen and texture turns into water as you can see.

These are just places where I first noticed but this problem seems to appear everywhere and these non matching 'default' looking patches are only appearing where the golf courses should be. I only need to slew up a few thousand feet from any airport in FTX AU especially YMML, YPAD, YPPH and even YSSY to see these incorrect textures appearing everywhere.

The 2nd screenshot in my first post is of a mate who tested his, he doesnt seem to have this issue, it will be interesting to see if yours is operating normally as well. 

To be honest the more I fly around the more it seems that the landclass is not working correctly, I see patchiness and squares that look out of place. Considering migrating lclookup seemed to lesson the severity of the issue it must have something to do with that? Maybe is there a bug or glitch with v4 and FTX AU? See below screenshot.

BusFbjz.jpg

I uploaded a saved flight of the exact area where only one of many of these issues are visible, see if you can replicate it.

Regards,

Matt

Test Texture Issue .fxml

Thanks for that Nick I appreciate your help. As I can see your texture seems to appear correctly and normal and blends in how it should! 

Tried your scenery.cfg and skipped through the messages and still I am faced with this :(

Pulling my hair out now lol.

bOn4OXD.jpg

If the reinstall didn't fix it I really have no idea what else to try...

I tried the terrain.cfg fix guide step by step from Holger as you suggested. Tested in the sim and it wasn't fixed. Then I again ran another force migration as you also mentioned. Tested again in the sim and still no go. I don't understand how it could be corrupted off a completely fresh clean install but neither of those methods fixed it Nick :( 

I am wondering now if I had ORBX vector if it would fix the problem, vector is designed to work with global anyway I am not sure if it improves the landclass for FTX AU.

Hello,

you most definitely do not need FTX Vector  to address this problem and in any case

it is recommended not to use Vector for Australia and there is even a tick box in the

Vector control panel to disable it for Australia.

To me, your final screenshot looks the same as mine except for the one default looking

texture in the foreground.

Hopefully, someone more expert in the finer details will come along and tell you why your

are seeing that.

I'll ask.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello again,

would you run the migration troubleshooter and see which if any textures are missing from your Australia installation please?

ORBX\Troubleshooter\MigrationTroubleshooter.exe

Thanks

Seems to all be in order Nick 

mzAYiQU.jpg

So I did some further testing.

I am fairly sure this bug/glitch resides somewhere in the installation process of FTX Central V3 or the current available version of FTX AU obtained through FTX Central V3.

I have FSX SE installed also (just for the purposes of testing) and I installed my old FTX AU SP4.003 zip downloaded from FSS just to see if the same issue occured. As expected, the texture appeared normally and there were no issues or errors with morphing or incorrect landclass.

So I decided to try and port the ORBX folders from FSX SE to P3D (I know it isnt compatible) JUST for the purposes of testing if the texture was actually there. To my suprise, the correct FTX texture for golf courses is now showing in P3D V4. I know there are other texture issues evident below in the screenshot but as I said that is to be expected considering i just copied folders over but I did it in an attempt to try and isolate where this issue is coming from. 

z2t577c.jpg

So if the FTX AU SP4.003 seems to display this landclass and texture correctly in FSX SE and partially correctly in P3D V4 then by order of trial and error or process of elimination surely this bug or glitch with incorrect textures and landclass being shown must reside in FTX Central 3 during the installation process or the current version of FTX AU available through FTX Central 3.

That would also explain why it is still happening even after 2 or 3 complete fresh installs of P3D and FTX itself.

Can anyone else from the dev team share some light on how to resolve this =/

Hi there,

I did the same as Nick and can't replicate your issue either so it's difficult to see how this could be a problem with the current AU P3D installer. 

Please check the folder \ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAU48_CUSTOM\Texture: does it contain 3583 files? Also, if you search within that folder for "231b", does it show 80 files? What is the "date modified" given for 231b2fa0.bmp? It should be March 2008.

Cheers, Holger

22 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

I did the same as Nick and can't replicate your issue either so it's difficult to see how this could be a problem with the current AU P3D installer. 

Please check the folder \ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAU48_CUSTOM\Texture: does it contain 3583 files? Also, if you search within that folder for "231b", does it show 80 files? What is the "date modified" given for 231b2fa0.bmp? It should be March 2008.

Cheers, Holger

Yeah the worst thing is you can't replicate it but it keeps happening on my PC only and it keeps happening on fresh installs of both P3D and FTX and I can't understand why.... Is there maybe something in the registry I need to wipe? I have literally wiped all traces of ORBX and P3D off my system (with exception of registry) and when I re-install both this still happens. No matter how many times I force migration the golf courses still show default textures.

And Holger to answer your 3 questions yes they are all correct as you said. 3853 files confirmed, 80 files starting with 231b and that specific file you mentioned was last modified March 2008. I really do appreciate both of your help so far in trying to sort this out for me just nothing is working so far :( 

=/

Hello,

I think I have managed to replicate your problem, at least in part.

I created a virgin copy of FSX and have installed onlt FTX Australia and the Orbx libraries.

Now I see this:

Untitled.jpg

For Holger:

The ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAU48_CUSTOM\Texture folder contains 3583 items.

A search of the folder for 231b results in 80 items.

The date on 231b2fa0.bmp is 4th March 2008.

I attach the terrain.cfg file.

terrain.cfg

Hi Nick, that is interesting. Exact same problem that I am having on P3D. You have reproduced what looks exactly like I am experiencing (although your screenshot shows the winter season). When the Summer textures are active the 'discoloured' patchy areas (golf courses) across the terrain will stand out even more. Hopefully we are getting close to a solution.

Hi guys,

the names, dates, and numbers of files in ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAU48_CUSTOM\Texture confirm that the installation of FTX AU itself is complete for all three of us. However, Nick's test gives the clue to the crucial difference, meaning the absence of Global Base! Without it, some of the default golf course textures will display, which clash visually with the AU custom textures.

The underlying issue is that the current FTX AU, as our oldest product, is not a complete replacement of all default landscape features, as all the Orbx Regions from FTX Pacific Northwest onward are. Rather, the developers used only partial excludes and retained features that were already correctly placed, like golf courses, parks, shorelines, etc. As Australia is such a massive area -- about 15 times larger than the next biggest FTX Region! -- some compromises needed to be made.

Unfortunately, there's no easy fix of this issue for those not using Orbx Global because the golf courses are an integral part of the local default landscape files and cannot be selectively removed. We've started working on a major overhaul of FTX AU, in which we'll try to remove all the dependencies and compatibility issues, but its release is still many months away and it won't be a free service pack either.

Just to confirm though: you're not having any texture morphing issues anymore with those default golf courses, "just" those lighter shades of the default textures? The texture morphing should have been resolved with the "forced migration"; if not we'll have to dig deeper into \Scenery\World\texture, which holds the default textures.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the clarification it is starting to make more sense. Although on FSX I am sure I have never had this issue and I have never owned or used FTX Global. Is there a specific reason why this seems to happen on P3D? Then again Nick did just re-produce it on FSX but it seems like this issue is not consistent. So I assume if I have FTX Global installed then the 'correct' golf course textures or ORBX textures that would blend a lot better would be displaying where the default ones are bleeding through? Regarding the new FTX AU I will be waiting patiently in anticipation and have no issue paying as I can understand it will be a huge overhaul so I'll be looking forward to that.

I was wondering Holger after what you've just explained if there is a way to replace the default P3D 'golf course' seasonal textures with the ORBX ones as a temporary fix? That way it thinks the 'default' ones are default but in actual fact they are ORBX and then display them correctly? 

Regarding the texture morphing I don't believe there is any further issues in the sim that I have noticed yet apart from that screenshot I posted in my original post regarding the ground texture turning into water when flying over final approach to runway 05 at YPAD Adelaide airport. 3rd screenshot in original post. This still happens even after force migration.

Hi again,

the default golf course textures for Australia are named 135g2{...}.bmp and located in \Scenery\World\texture (the "g" in the name is important as there are variants with other letters). You could move those to a safe backup location and then replace it with renamed copies of the "231b" set in ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAU48_CUSTOM\Texture. You also want to copy the 135g . agn files, which are the autogen placement files; the default sim uses the 135b files but those won't fit the custom AU texture set. I'm not 100% sure that the textures will get used but it's worth a shot.

If you don't already use something similar, a bulk renaming utility like http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php helps greatly with these kinds of tasks.

I can confirm a small patch of texture morphing along the coast at YPAD. It looks like an issue with the local shoreline polygon and I've made a note to make sure it gets fixed in AUv2. I have found an old thread from 2012 that appears to indicate that the issue was going to be addressed in a service pack but I guess it never did.

Cheers, Holger

Archived