Where's the Roos?

Turnip

Guest Private-Cowboy

Bruney Island for example. And I found some more animals todas, dolphins and a  horsie to be precise (animated ones too!!!). And something that looks like a handsome lady with some refreshments.  ;D

Funny story from the Defence Science Lectures Series, as related by the head of DSTO’s Land Operations/Simulation division.  They’ve been working on some really nifty virtual reality simulators, the case in point being to incorporate Armed Recon Helo’s into exercises (from the data fusion point of view).  Most of the people they employ on this sort of thing are ex- (or future!) computer game programmers.

Anyway, as part of the reality parameters, they include things like trees and animals for Operation Phoenix out near Katherine, the latter included kangaroos. In particular, they had to model kangaroo movements and reactions to helicopters (since hordes of disturbed kangaroos might well give away a helo’s position).  Being good little programmers, they just stole some code (which was originally used to model infantry detachments reactions under the same stimuli), and changed the mapped icon, the speed parameters, etc.  The first time they’ve gone to demonstrate this to some visiting Americans, the hotshot pilots have decided to get “down and dirty†with the virtual kangaroos.  So, they buzz them, and watch them scatter.  Visiting Americans nod appreciatively....then gape as the kangaroos duck around a hill, and launch about two dozen Stingers at the hapless helo.  Programmers look rather embarrassed at forgetting to remove that part of the infantry coding....and Americans leave muttering comments about not wanting to mess with the Aussie wildlife. As an addendum, simulator pilots from that point onwards avoided kangaroos like the plague, just like they were meant to do.

;D  Above all do NOT mess with the Roos !! Jeez, kangaroos with Stinger missles, what a concept ! Love it!

ROFLMAO !

Sue

Hi Tweaker,

Reminds me of that song from the mid nineties......Cows with Guns!

Wow, it's a small world. Dana Lyons (songwriter of Cows with Guns), Tim McHugh (another awesome songwriter)  and I shared a tree house (!) in Bellingham, Washington, in the early 90s. Great memories...

http://www.cowswithguns.com/homepage.html

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=33292458

Cheers, Holger

post-414-13020387702_thumb.jpg

shared a tree house (!) in Bellingham, Washington, in the early 90s. Great memories...

Cheers, Holger

A tree house? - that sounds like some sort of great story there somewhere ::) - I had a look at the 2 sites - that myspace looks a doozy! - I have heard that it is popular - perhaps I am just too old ;D - mind you some of the links off it looked quite kinky :o;D ;D

Archived