Searching for photo improvement topic

Sundancer

I am searching for a topic but can't find it. Maybe someone has a suggestion?

The topic was about how to improve the composition of your screenshots or taking pictures in general.

One of the keyword I remember was about placing the subject 1/3 from the edges. That's all I remember...also forgot the author.

The topic was placed about 2-3 months ago, I think. 

Did several searches.....no luck.

Best regards Fred

I think I remember posting something in that thread but, like you, I've no idea where it is now :lol:.

I am a failed painter turned graphic designer (with a final transformation to a Web Developer), so I have quite strong views regarding composition.

This "rule of thirds" is total rubbish, IMHO - whether you mean chopping the image horizontally or vertically. It's just a stupid arbitrary rule that takes no account of the *content* of the image (which determines its composition). Strong areas of colour or light or shade can have a *huge* impact on things, depending on where they are placed - as do "busy" areas compared to "restful/empty" areas. It's just so much more complicated than some simple rule. It gets worse. The Western eye is used to reading left to right, so having an aircraft to the right of centre and climbing is visually positive and having it pointing down is a bit of a letdown, psychologically. However - many Eastern languages read right to left, so that logic is reversed. So ... even visual "balance" can be affected by culture.

I always try to achieve a "balanced" image, where everything is harmonious and nothing leaps out at you - yet some of the best images I've seen are ones that do exactly the opposite - and look dramatic or even shocking. It all depends on the subject matter - or what you're trying to achieve.

Over the years, I've known many designers, photographers and screenshot artists that I would say have that totally undefinable "eye" for things. Ask them to explain and all you'll get is a simple "it just looks right"!

So ... after my long answer (sorreee) I'd say there just aren't any rules: just move things around until one configuration says "that's the one"!!!

The only "safe bet" rule I'm prepared to concede is move the focus away from dead centre - particularly as that's exactly where a default view places the aircraft.

One of these days I'll post a SHORT reply! :D

Adam.

EDIT: Well found, Nick - that's the one!!!

12 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Fred,

This one?

Ah....., thank you so much, Nick. That's the topic I was looking for.

So stupid I couldn't find it myself.....;-(

In that article there is also a link included to a .pdf article with examples of illustrations of do's and dont's to make a good photo.

@Adam:  thank you too for your contribution.

I'll study it all when back home from holiday.

Best regards Fred

Archived