P3Dv4.1 crashes related to PNW

Dear Sirs,

I have developed an issue that has consumed an inordinate amount of time trying to correct and no resolution has been found so far.  When flying into PNW from outside the area OR when trying to select ANY airport within the PNW region, the sim crashes.  Everything ran fine initially with only AEC issues which WERE resolved.  Here’s a list of what I’m currently running related to that region:

ORBX PNW

ORBX GLOBAL

ORBX VECTOR

Most of the ORBX Airports for that region 

Drewzwecki Designs Seattle City X

Drewzwecki Designs Seattle Airports X

Taxi2Gate KSEA

As I said, all of these titles were running fine.  Suddenly they stopped doing so.  I have tried uninstalling and incrementally reinstalling all of these titles with no success.  I have checked the hierarchy in the scenery library.  No luck.  Outside PNW the sim runs fine, even in other ORBX regions.  I’m am just before uninstalling/reinstalling the whole simulation, which can take 2-3 days!  Any help will be greatly appreciated

Terry Swindle

Thanks for the replies.  Other than UTLive, no static aircraft or AI are installed....except.....Drezwecki Designs sceneries have a LOT of static aircraft installed.  I’m not sure why, for weeks, the sim ran fine in those areas with no crashes and suddenly I can’t even access the entire PNW region.  Regardless, I uninstalled those sceneries and the sim still crashes when trying to access that region.

Leaving for work in a few minutes (737 pilot).  I’ll be home Monday night.  I’m hoping that my next move isn’t uninstalling/reinstalling P3D, but I’m losing hope on this one.  That process always seems to take me a couple of days.  Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You shouldn't have to reinstall P3D I hope.

You could try a few little tricks to see where the problem might lie.  I assume you're reasonably confident and moving files around?

In my experience suspect files usually reside in just a few possible locations: 

Scenery/World/Scenery

Addon Scenery

SimObjects

Orbx (very unlikely)

So, what you could do is cut all the files in your Scenery/World/Scenery folder into a temp folder (maybe create one on your desktop called World_Scenery and cut and paste all the files into there.  That should get rid of just about all third party traffic files that might be causing problems.

You can cut and paste the entire Addon Scenery folder to your desktop to remove it from the sim.

Although the possibility is slight, you could cut all add-on aircraft out of the SimObjects folder leaving only the default planes... (including all the non-Airplanes folders in their entirety, the sim will still run fine without them)

Finally, in the Scenery Library you can untick all the Orbx scenery entries, all Addon Scenery and similar entries, only leaving the core P3D scenery entries active.  IF there are any entries for any addon scenery areas not accounted for above, untick them as well.

I don't know what structure UTLive uses, I would assume their aircaft models are in SimObjects and their traffic files are in Scenery/World/Scenery.

Start P3D and see if PNW works for you.  If it does, try ticking the Orbx scenery entries back into life, restart the sim and confirm you can fly in PNW.

Then copy the Addon Scenery folder back in and tick the scenery library entry.  Restart and confirm PNW.

Then Re-tick all the Orbx scenery entries, restart and confirm PNW.

Finally, you can copy blocks of files (say a dozen at a time) back into the Scenery/World/Scenery folder and see if any of them break the sim.

(I hope I haven't forgotten anything in the above procedures).  The main thing is, you can eliminate posibilities just be removing the files to a safe location, from where they can easily be put back.  Hopefully you'll be able to track down the culprit and get back to flying.

I started to see a few minor glitches the other day and played around as you did....on a lark, I tried removing all the non-p3d additions to the airplanes folder that I had put in there.

Problem has seemed to vanish.

No idea why.

I've also noticed V4 seem sensitive to just slamming new non-native birds into it.

Worth a try......

Thanks John!  I am very comfortable working with files and folders so your advice shouldn’t be hard to accomplish.  It’ll be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can do that but I’ll post my results back here when done.

Incidentally, I just flew a very satisfying ILS approach into KLGA tonight, 1 mile visibility in moderate rain with a 5kt tailwind, 165 souls on board.  The captain said he gave that approach and landing a solid 10.  Too much fun!  Now if I can just get PNW working again!

On 2/4/2018 at 7:24 AM, John Dow said:

You shouldn't have to reinstall P3D I hope.

You could try a few little tricks to see where the problem might lie.  I assume you're reasonably confident and moving files around?

In my experience suspect files usually reside in just a few possible locations: 

Scenery/World/Scenery

Addon Scenery

SimObjects

Orbx (very unlikely)

So, what you could do is cut all the files in your Scenery/World/Scenery folder into a temp folder (maybe create one on your desktop called World_Scenery and cut and paste all the files into there.  That should get rid of just about all third party traffic files that might be causing problems.

You can cut and paste the entire Addon Scenery folder to your desktop to remove it from the sim.

Although the possibility is slight, you could cut all add-on aircraft out of the SimObjects folder leaving only the default planes... (including all the non-Airplanes folders in their entirety, the sim will still run fine without them)

Finally, in the Scenery Library you can untick all the Orbx scenery entries, all Addon Scenery and similar entries, only leaving the core P3D scenery entries active.  IF there are any entries for any addon scenery areas not accounted for above, untick them as well.

I don't know what structure UTLive uses, I would assume their aircaft models are in SimObjects and their traffic files are in Scenery/World/Scenery.

Start P3D and see if PNW works for you.  If it does, try ticking the Orbx scenery entries back into life, restart the sim and confirm you can fly in PNW.

Then copy the Addon Scenery folder back in and tick the scenery library entry.  Restart and confirm PNW.

Then Re-tick all the Orbx scenery entries, restart and confirm PNW.

Finally, you can copy blocks of files (say a dozen at a time) back into the Scenery/World/Scenery folder and see if any of them break the sim.

(I hope I haven't forgotten anything in the above procedures).  The main thing is, you can eliminate posibilities just be removing the files to a safe location, from where they can easily be put back.  Hopefully you'll be able to track down the culprit and get back to flying.

John,

I’m finally on vacation and able to to devote some quality time to solving my PNW problem.  I did everything you suggested with no resolution.  I went one step further and cut/moved the entire ORBX folder to the desktop.  The sim STILL crashes to desktop when attempting to select any airport in the PNW.  I’m beginning to think that something is irreparably corrupted.  P3D Uninstallation time?  Doing so would be easier than EVERYTHING I’ve tried to date!

Thanks!

Terry

Reinstallation isn't so bad.  I've done it several times with FSX, the entire thing.  Took about two weeks but that was because I stopped to enjoy each scenery I installed on the way, instead of just doing a job lot.  Easy to get hung up on installs and tweaking rather than flying, that's my advice!

Archived