Hawaian Island Chain

FireRx

Hey Guys,

I've not flown the hawaii  Island chain in a while and went on a group flight with with 5 other folks in multiplayer yesterday.   Did something change after LC SA. or AU update that mess up the Elevations in the islands?  all 5 of us have elevation issue part of islands sunken or cliffed out above sea level.  B)

Hi there,

looks like either incorrect terrain mesh files or some rogue flatten polygons. You also seem to be missing most of the custom highrise buildings in Honolulu and Waikiki.

My screenshot is taken with Global Vector and openLC NA active, the only Orbx products that cover the area.

Obviously, you're using a custom version of PHNL so I'd start with checking whether that's installed correctly. Also, are you using any third-party terrain mesh add-on that includes Hawaii?

Cheers, Holger

PHNL facing NE with openLCNA and Global Vector.jpg

PHNL facing NW with openLCNA and Global Vector.jpg

checked all my island sceneries in the pacific. NSTU and all that looks good. This only occurs on the Hawaiian Island chain.  Turned off the FSDT PHNL scenery. Still the same results.  Did a repair install on Prepar3D.. Still the same result.  my next option in maybe uninstalling and reinstalling OLC NA.  But seeing the problem is only here and not globally makes me thinks some bgl or CVX files is off or missing.  Where are the files in Orbx or scenery folder I should be checking to see if there is anything missing or inactive?

Thanks,

Hi there,

openLC NA doesn't include any terrain mesh files or flattens for Hawaii. In any case you can temporarily deactivate their entries in the scenery library menu to check whether they are involved. In fact, perhaps you might want to start be unchecking all third-party entries just to make sure that it isn't somehow an issue with the the default scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Hello,

whatever you are doing wrong, I am too.

I am pretty sure that this is default  P3D v4 and yet I still see the cliffs and the hills with water on top,

as you do.

image.jpg

here is the same shot with some add on mesh but no add on scenery at all.

image.jpg

so the answer could be that default P3D is not good here and some mesh would correct the problem.

Or I might be making the same mistake as you.:)

Hi Nick,

good idea to double-check in P3D. However, I still can't replicate the issue. With all add-on entries deactivated the terrain looks just like in my FSX screenshots -- no cliffs at all -- and with Orbx Global series active there aren't any issues either.

If the issue gets resolved with an add-on mesh it does indicate though that a faulty mesh file is at play; if this was an issue with flatten files then they would override any terrain mesh data.

Perhaps you can compare scenery.cfg files or look for culprits in one of the default folders, i.e., Addon Scenery, Scenery\World\scenery, or Scenery\Global\scenery? The default Hawaii landscape components are located in \Scenery\0003\scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Hello,

I have found my problem, though I have no idea as to the cause.

In my Scenery\0003\scenery folder is a file named dem0003.bgl,

except it had been renamed to dem0003.bg_ and therefore disabled.

A further search reveals that every other  demxxxx.bgl file in each

base scenery folder has been renamed to demxxxx.bg_.

Renaming to dem0003.bgl restores the default mesh.

okay in mine the dem0003.bgl is there in scenery\0003\scenery. However. there is no DEMxxx.bgl reference at all in scenery\world\scenery at all.  should I copy past that from the scenery \0003\ folder?

Thanks,

Hi guys,

so the question is what third-party add-on mesh did you install the comes with an auto-installer? Perhaps it has an auto-uninstaller as well?

On the other hand, if the issue is limited to Hawaii then you could just swap the dem0003.bgl file and leave the other folders alone.

Cheers, Holger

the only add on I have in that area is the FSDT PHNL airport only,  I've uninstalled it first thing. Went back to the airport and the mountains look  like what Nick has on his. except he has is Downtown  buildings showing.  What other scenery folders ins that DEM0003.bgl supposed to be in?

Thanks?

Thanks Holger.

Regrettably, I did run an installation of Fs Global 2010 the other day, to help a customer out.

It is remarkable but not surprising that there is no mention of the renaming at all in the Pilot's documentation,

no need to do it and no apparent way to repair the damage.

I have copied all my FSX versions back in to P3D v4 and deleted the *.bg_ files, on the grounds that mesh is mesh.

To FireRx,

This is the view of the default scenery with the dem0003.bgl file disabled, very similar to yours.

image.jpg

Now with the file enabled again, nothing else changed.

image.jpg

There are 80 files in my Scenery\0003\scenery folder, here they are if you wish to check that nothing is missing.

image.jpg

Hi Nick,

I agree with your sentiments.

FYI, if you're in need of renaming a bunch of files, or their extensions, across multiple folders then this freeware utility does a great job: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

Its user interface can be a bit intimidating at first given the plethora of options but it comes with very good instructions.

Cheers, Holger 

Archived