YSCB PAPI light issue

tokuo_bbb

Until a few years ago Australian airports had the white T approach lights. I do not know their official designation. A white light below the datum showed that the approach was low and by how much, and a white light above the datum the opposite. 

Could this be those approach lights (ie not papi).

Edit - It is these lights - T-VASIS    http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/T-VASIS Pilots Notes.htm

• Nick Cooper changed the title to YSCB PAPI light issue
1 hour ago, tokuo_bbb said:

flown below the glideslope.

light turns red, but the altitude is too low.

Please see YSCB.mp4

I'm not sure if the point at which the lights turn red is set too low is of much importance.  If you're flying an approach and the T-VASIS indicates you are below the glide slope than you should be making corrections to regain the glide slope long before you see the red lights appear. 

From the official information provided in the link above, it clearly states:  The red signal appears as a gross under shoot warning only.

From your video it appears that yes the red light comes in at an angle of 1 degree slope rather than 2 degrees 12 minutes.  This is possibly as a result of the developer not having the accurate information and just assigning a one degree angle as a warning that you are excessively low. 

I doubt it will be something that will be looked at as the original developer of YSCB has moved on to other things and as far as I know there are no plans for a service pack in the forseeable future.  It may be possible for you to download an airport editing program such as the freeware ADE (Airport Design Editor) and it might have the ability to edit the T-VASIS lights coding.

19 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if it's of any help, these are the settings.

Untitled.jpg

Yes that confirms that the T-VASIS is set to show the glide slope at 3 degrees approach.  Are there any settings for the undershoot (red light) warning zone?  If not then it is possible that the properties are fixed above and below the pitch setting, and cannot be user modified.  (??)

Archived