Another failure.

Dadtom65

Just had the above again, dam windows, after shutting the comp down the night before, the next morning it just would not start. In the end I had to reset it and now reinstalling every thing. My question is what do I have to make a copy off so that it is much quicker to reinstall every thing. Know I will have to copy my flight sim installation but what else should I make a copy off Flightsim wise. Derek.

I'd recommend never trying to restore any flightsim from a copy. With the registry entries lost for both the sim and add-ons it's usually faster to just reinstall it all from scratch and avoid the hassle. That said, Nick has come up with a method to solve the problem with ORBX...see the link below. By far the easiest way to solve the problem, though, is to periodically create a full backup image file of the whole system and simply restore everything all at one time. No hassles at all..........Doug  

Indeed, True Image is the way to go. And, storage is cheap. Just be sure to allow enough storage for at least two FULL backups (always keep a backup of the backup - True Image will do this automatically if you want). You can save some space using incremental backups but they can be very error-prone on restores and I'd never recommend doing it that way.....Doug

I'm repeating myself again.

Your drive C: (boot drive) only needs to be 64gb.  My Windows 7 on a 64gb SSD, only occupies 33gb.  Takes 4 minutes each way, to backup and restore using Active Boot Disk.

My FS is on drive E: and is mirrored onto Drive S:, uncompressed.

Most times if there is corruption, 9 times out of 10, it is Windows 7.  Takes 4 minutes to restore it, and my FS is up and running again.

If I inadvertently mess up the FS software, I can copy back the corrupt folders or files from the mirror drive.  If I copy the lot back, that takes about 20 minutes.

The only way out of computer disasters is to back up your data.

I remember the days when I took home punched tape backups, just in case the cleaner threw them out, or a mouse chewed them. 

An ASR-33 TTY,  tape reader and punch if you are wondering. 

9 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

+1 for a full disk image. Google "Acronis True Image" to know about it.  It takes only about 1-2h to restore your entire PC.

Mike

Hi Mike. I have 4 hard drives, two are ssd’s, one is 120 which is my C drive and a 240 one and two 1tb hard drives and Acronis will copy all of them ?. That sounds good to me. Derek.

I had a model-28 as a console for Univac-I non-personal computer with tubes. Could field strip it or even replace those gla

ss bottles with dim orange lights in them.

Had to wear a suit on day-shift. UGH

UNIVAC I?. Wow! I can remember a couple of floor model 28-KSR's in the machine room and wiring boards on a 1620 but a UNIVAC is a little too early for me. You, sir, are truly a pioneer in the field of computing. Keep it up.....I'm feeling younger and younger all the time.......

When windows starts acting up, I will reinstall it.  There's nothing like a fresh windows install.  Sometimes there's bad stuff in the partitions so, if you reinstall, be sure to delete all of those and do the install on a clean drive.  Windows will automatically make new partitions.  Yeah, it takes some time but I've found it to be worth it.

Good advice. I routinely reinstall Windows every six months or so. But, I do it from and Acronis image of a clean install. I then have to take some time to get all the flightsim stuff and other stuff right. Is it worth it? Absolutely. It's amazing how quickly Windows get all stuffed up..........Doug

14 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Mike. I have 4 hard drives, two are ssd’s, one is 120 which is my C drive and a 240 one and two 1tb hard drives and Acronis will copy all of them ?. That sounds good to me. Derek.

I have 2  x 1TB SSDs, one SSD for my sims and one SSD for Windows and all other softwares. I also have a 2 TB HDD (data drive) for photos, video and sims installers. Acronis is programmed to do an image for both SSD at the same time. That's an image of my entire system. If you have more drives, it will do the same. You are selecting which drives you need to be imaged...  I don't have to do an image of my HDD (data drive) because I have a copy of all this data on an external drive.

I also did an image of a fresh installed Windows with all patches, MS Office, and basic programs as Acrobat Reader, email application and so on.

After that, I did another image with basic sims installed (no addons), and a last image with all installed addons. If something go wrong, I can choose from where to start from. Sometime you have to troubleshoot where the problem came from...

Mike

Thanks Mike, looks like you have it all covered. Just found out here all you get is a key to put in after you have downloaded the program. I expect it’s the same the world over these days all so you don’t all ways get the most up to date version. Seems some people have only got  the 2016 version. Don’t suppose it matters. Thanks anyway will definitely be getting it. Derek.

Over the years I've found no real need to have the latest edition of Acronis True Image. They all do basically the same thing. A major change in the OS, such as going from Windows 7 to 10, could cause an older version not to work but those are rare events. For the last few years I've only had two versions installed - 2010 and 2014. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.................Doug

I remember having to reinstall Windows regularly back in the Win 98 days. Nowadays Windows is pretty robust, don't know what you folks are doing to your systems?

With Win7 - Win10 I've only reinstalled when building a new system. Apart from that, the installs have just ticked over for several years with no ill effects.

I still back up the C drive to the NAS just in case (Using EaseUs ToDo Backup) but I've never had to use the image so far.

We're not doing anything to our systems. The problem is that Windows manages to do-it-to-itself - it's been this way in every version since the beginning.  And, as it happens over time, the degraded performance is sometimes not readily apparent. Every time a program is uninstalled, updated, or reinstalled Windows leaves "junk" behind. Just in normal everyday usage Windows doesn't clean up after itself. And the accumulation of all that "stuff" is where the problem lies. If you do a fresh install on a system that hasn't seen one in a while you'll see that the difference in the overall performance can be quite amazing..........Doug

2 hours ago, JimmiG said:

I remember having to reinstall Windows regularly back in the Win 98 days. Nowadays Windows is pretty robust, don't know what you folks are doing to your systems?

With Win7 - Win10 I've only reinstalled when building a new system. Apart from that, the installs have just ticked over for several years with no ill effects.

I still back up the C drive to the NAS just in case (Using EaseUs ToDo Backup) but I've never had to use the image so far.

If you read my post, I just normally shut it down as usual at the end of the night, but the next day when I went to start it, it wouldn’t, just a black screen, the comp seemed to be running but then all of a sudden the bios screen came up. So made sure everything was ok there saved it and the next thing I get is that windows will try an automatic repair. That didn’t work so a reset was done. Must admit it didn’t take long and I did opt to keep all my apps or whatever but the items were still there but nothing worked. So had to reinstall it all. Derek.

Archived