First step with Orbx Products... (and Prepar3D.v4 also...)

I recently brought Prepar3D.v4 and I just Purchased Orbx products to improve it : FTX Global "BASE Pack"/"open LC Europe"/"VECTOR"/"TreesHD" and Innsbruck Airport.

I started by install FTX Central and to update the Orbx libraries... Now starts question !

1st : In which order should I install those add-ons ?

2nd : In the "Installation Options" Windows, what should I select... "Download and install now, then create a backup for later" ?

3rd : what about the location in the "configure your download" window, when you click on "installation options" ?... Lockheed Martin / Prepar3Dv4 / Orbx / User documents / Versions...? or Documents / Prepar3Dv4 add-ons ?

4th and last : Is there anything to notify in the "Settings" of FTX Central ? "Library insertion point / General / Tools"?...

Thank you in advance and Happy Christmas !

Guillaume

No worries Guillaume, Orbx appears to be fools-safe for me:

1st: No matter which sequence.

2nd: No real need for a backup, as long as you are not totally desperate with your internet connection (and as long as you plan a re-installation, what I never did).

3rd: No hint from me, I just let the orbx default setting work. In case your SSD/HDD gets too small, you can create virtual links out of the sim folder, e. g. search for "dirlinker" here on the forum. But you probably have installed the sim on your HDD, which is big enough.

4th: This is important! The FTX entries should be below your lowest 3rd party add-on. OpenLC should be below FTX. You need to set there insertion points in FTXCentral!

Orbx!Vector_AEC should be the 3rd from the end of your scenery.cfg, all other Orbx!Vector_xxx just above the sims basic sceneries (I think this comes automatical).

Happy simming & Happy Christmas!

Thank you Stillwater for your quick answer !

Regarding my 3rd question, you told me "no hint ! let the Orbx default setting work"... but it's important for me that it install FTX add-ons on my HDD disk (where P3D is also installed away from Windows 10) instead of on my SSD, since the first one is 1To big, when the SSD disk is only 128Go dimensioned... To do so, should I notify a specific location by clicking on the "installation options" in the " configure your download" window?

And in spite of you notified your 4th answer as important, I'm afraid I did not understand everything you try to explain... "lowest third party add-on"...? "third from the end of your scenery.cfg"...?

Merry Christmas !

Hello.

welcome to the forums.

FTX Central will install your products to the location where you have installed P3D.

There is no need and indeed no way in the FTX Central window for you to change this.

FTX Central does use the windows temp folders during installation.

If you have no space on your C drive, there is a solution. 

FTX Central will place all your scenery library entries where they should be in relation to 

each other.

You do not need to interfere.

If you have other addon scenery, then you will find an Insertion Point tool on the FTX Central settings page

which allows you to set the FTX entries in relation to any existing ones.

Here is an image to help you with this.

Untitled.jpg

Bonjour Nick ! and first thank you very much for your answer.

I finally install the FTX Global BASE Pack by using directly the "Install Product" button, without interfere by choosing a specific location in the "Installation Options" window.

Unfortunately, the Global BASE Pack seems to have been install on my small 128Go SSD disk(C:), instead of on my 1To HHD disk (D:) as desired... After installation has been completed I have 57,7Go free space remaining on the SSD disk ; I had 67,3Go space before...

I have also purchased Open LC Europe / VECTOR / Trees HD / Innsbruck Airport and will install them.

But if I download those add-ons using the same method, I'm afraid I will have quickly no more space on my small 128Go SSD disk...

What should I do ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Guillaume

MSI GP72 7RD Leopard / I7-7700HQ / SSD 128Go M.2 SATA + HDD 1To / Nvidia GeForce GTX1050

Hello Guillaume ,

you should look on your C drive for a folder named ORBX.

If you do not find one and you do find one in the root folder of your

simulator on the D drive, then it will be the windows temp file, which is by default on the C drive.

If this is the case, you might try this.

Which simulator are you installing to?

Thank you Nick for your quick reply !

On my 128Go SSD drive, I found only one Orbx file, located in Users / Guillaume / AppData / Local, which is 13,3Mo heavy and contains 2 sub-files named "FTX Central" and "Simulators".

On the 1To HDD drive, I also found one ORBX file located in Lockheed Martin / Prepar3Dv4. This one is 4,36Go and contains 5 sub-files : "FTX_AU" / "FTX_OLC" / "Scripts" / "Troubleshooter" and "UserDocuments".

What do you think about that ? Did it sounds good to you ?

At that time, I have installed FTX Central, updated the libraries and then installed the FTX Global BASE Pack. Shoud I had found other Orbx files somewhere else ?

And how explain the space lost on my SSD disk ? Could the Windows temp files be responsible for that ?

Regards,

Guillaume

Allright !

In accordance with the "useful tip" you mentionned, I will try to change the location of the system temp folder.

Once It will be done, I'll try the Windows explorer disk clean up...hoping it will restore some free space on my (C:) drive.

Thanks again for your precious advices and I'll keep you advise as soon as it's done,

Regards,

Guillaume

If Windows is installed on your "C" drive there is one other thing to look for. There is usually a folder called Package Cache on the drive where the OS is installed. It's used primarily by Windows, and others, to uninstall programs. This folder, over time, can become quite large I've seen mine as big as 68GB. If that's an issue you can move this folder to your other drive which has more room and replace it on the "C" drive with a junction link. The junction link will point to the folder on the other drive and Windows never notices the difference. See this for more information on downloading  Junction Link. It's free and easy to use:  http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkMagic.htm.........Doug

Another useful tip ! Thank you very much Doug !

In addition to Windows10, I only installed Prepar3Dv4, FTX Central and the FTX Global BASE Pack on my brand new computer so far... And I found the "Package Cache" folder you mentionned which is already as big as 12,2Go !

So, following your advise, I will relocate that "Package Cache" folder to my 1To HDD (D:) drive using the junction link method you mentionned.

I will also proceed the same way with all the temporary files generated by Windows as recommended by Nick.

Doing so should restore free space on 128Mo SDD (C:) drive... I will let you know.

Again thank you very much !

Best Regards,

Guillaume

Archived