Installed, textures are clearly not integrated in sim

JKawai

Sim: FSX:SE

Product: FTX Global Base Pack

Order No: 5a36533362afa

Had to manually download these because currently testing on a smaller SSD before my larger capacity one arrives, and so installed on an HDD for now. Ran the manual installer through FTX Central. Said installed successfully. Also on opening FSX it said updating scenery libraries.

Opened FS, went to EGKK and textures were as awful as before. Went to Riga as suggested in the manual and textures were just as bad:

wWf0i1B.jpg

Obviously they haven't been installed so just wondering what I can do to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Jon

Hi,

Yes I just did that and it seems to have improved the autogen but the textures are still really mushy:

iZbRzzQ.jpg

Everything in Display settings is maxed out and my LOD Radius is 7.5... can't understand why it's like this as in FS9 everything in the distance was crystal clear

Also getting these black squares from time to time:

lvcKIho.jpg

System Info -

Intel i5-4670 @ 3.40 quad core

8gb RAM

GTX 760 4gb

Note> Currently running FSX off an HDD rather than SSD but can't imagine this is the cause of the problem as it never used to be a problem on HDDs, also when pausing the game the textures don't eventually 'refine' like they did in FS9

System Info -

Intel i5-4670 @ 3.40 quad core

8gb RAM

GTX 760 4gb

[FPS was always locked at 30.5 with Nvidia Inspector]

Okay, so I've dragged my settings back to the following:

GFX

Global texture res - Medium

No lens flare, light bloom or advanced animations

Filtering - trilinear

AIRCRAFT

High res 3d VC

Aircraft does not cast shadows on ground

Aircraft does not cast shadows on itself

Aircraft landing lights do not illuminate ground

SCENERY

LOD radius - Medium

mesh complexity - 50

mesh res - 38m

texture res - 1m

water effects - 1.x

Scenery complexity - normal

autogen density - normal

no ground scenery shadows

special fx detail - medium

WEATHER

cloud draw 60m

no thermal visualisation

detailed clouds, density high

TRAFFIC

airline traffic density 20%

GA density 20%

airport vehicle density medium

road vehicles 20

ships and ferries 40

liesure boats 40

pretty sure this isn't right... 

aX6Occg.jpg

Please leave this topic for now - after doing some more reading I think it's to do with the HDD after all, it's just more prevalent when using OrbX; I'll wait until my SSD arrives tomorrow and do a clean install on that. Within a small radius FTX Global looks great, it's just the distance but that seems like a problem outside of OrbX maybe, as I say.

Perhaps someone else will point this out as well, but trying to run FSX with a cpu @ 3.40 Ghz and a GTX 760 gpu will unfortunately cause a lot of these display problems you are having.  It's time to upgrade if you really want to enjoy FSX to the fullest extent, or even switch over to P3D, which also requires some hefty hardware to realize its potential.  For reference, I tried running P3Dv4 with a GTX 770, and it was ok, but not good enough, so I upgraded.

52 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Perhaps someone else will point this out as well, but trying to run FSX with a cpu @ 3.40 Ghz and a GTX 760 gpu will unfortunately cause a lot of these display problems you are having.  It's time to upgrade if you really want to enjoy FSX to the fullest extent, or even switch over to P3D, which also requires some hefty hardware to realize its potential.  For reference, I tried running P3Dv4 with a GTX 770, and it was ok, but not good enough, so I upgraded.

Thanks Stewart, yes I was considering upgrading to this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-performance-overclocked-intel-core-i5-8600k-16gb-ddr4-8gb-evga-gtx-1070-ti-sc-250gb-ssd-2tb-win

But I've seen a lot of other people on forums with lesser GPUs than me, similar processors who are getting 30fps easily with OrbX and REX installed (and DX10 fixer)... I'll see what I can achieve first before upgrading although I'm aware my system is about 5 years old (but then so are most of the addons?)

That's interesting that you're using Win7, I might get a similar custom to the above built by Scan but tell them to omit Win10 if you think Win7 is fine...

FSX is CPU dependant, not GPU, as you can see in my specs I have an improved CPU to yours but you have an improved GPU to mine. I cannot run FSX with sliders maxed out.

As Stew says you could go over to P3Dv4 that would make better use of your GPU but even then your CPU is the bottleneck.

4 hours ago, JKawai said:

Thanks Stewart, yes I was considering upgrading to this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-performance-overclocked-intel-core-i5-8600k-16gb-ddr4-8gb-evga-gtx-1070-ti-sc-250gb-ssd-2tb-win

But I've seen a lot of other people on forums with lesser GPUs than me, similar processors who are getting 30fps easily with OrbX and REX installed (and DX10 fixer)... I'll see what I can achieve first before upgrading although I'm aware my system is about 5 years old (but then so are most of the addons?)

That's interesting that you're using Win7, I might get a similar custom to the above built by Scan but tell them to omit Win10 if you think Win7 is fine...

Win 7 is fine for now, but eventually a change over to Win 10 will probably be necessary, if only to run future editions of P3Dv4.x efficiently.

Also, looking at the specs of the above system, I would go ahead with the 250 GB SSD for the OS and other stuff, but also get a 1TB SSD for your flight simulator and all its scenery, whether Orbx or others.  For my purposes, I have all my backup scenery and aircraft on a 500Gb external HD, but note I have no backups of Orbx scenery on it.  I prefer to have Orbx keep my backups, if you know what I mean.  I have a 1TB external HD to back up both FSX and P3D, and that seems to be enough.

Hi all

Thanks for the advice. I've actually gone for a slightly different system - 

ASUS ROG Strix Z270H mobo

GTX 1070 Ti GPU

250gb M2 card

2x 8GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz

Intel Core i7 7700K Quad Core 4.5ghz overclocked to 4.8ghz.

Win10 (guy on phone said Win7 will pretty much bottleneck the performance of the hardware and ultimately support for 7 will stop; however I've just looked at some reviews for 10 and predictably they are awful, and that was probably salesmanship; be interested to hear your opinions on this...)

I was actually going to install the entire sim on the M2 card for read speed (OS on a spare 120gb SSD), and I totalled up the OrbX scenery I've bought and it's about 100gb. Win10 should be about 20gb, then remains the following to install (sorry for breaks in between, it won't let me delete them):

--------------------------------

Rex4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds Enhanced Edition
REX Worldwide Airports HD
ActiveSky 16
My Traffic 6
EZDok

DX10 Fixer
Reshade & SweetFX
GSX Ground Services

Majestic Q400 Pilot Edition
PMDG 737s
Captain Sim 757-200 Base Pack
Level-D 767-300
Aivlasoft EFB
FSPassengers

ProATCX
---------------------------------

If you think an M2 card isn't necessary I'll ditch that and get a 500/1000gb SSD. 

Also, do you think then that the GPU I've chosen might be overkill if FSX doesn't use it as much as the CPU? Or do you think it's worth having for future proofing (as I may ultimately take the res much higher)? Do ORBX, REX, PMDG and AS16 etc not require a great GPU?

Thanks for the advice here, although I know now we have digressed somewhat from the original OrbX question..

Whatever your choices for hardware are, I would plan for an eventual changeover to P3Dv4--no OOMs, better light rendering, overall better performance as compared to FSX.  I don't imagine you will stick with FSX much longer--it's pretty long in the tooth by now.

Your specs are excellent on that new machine, for FSX or P3D. I would ensure the Windows10 is 64bit not the Home 32bit edition, P3D especially will benefit from that, I would also have the 500/1000gb SSD  over the 250gb M2 card, unless you were using that just for your OS.

Your Sim will keep growing, especially the way Orbx tempts us with excellent scenery.

Ultimately the depth of your pocket and aspirations will dictate what you can acheive.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Whatever your choices for hardware are, I would plan for an eventual changeover to P3Dv4--no OOMs, better light rendering, overall better performance as compared to FSX.  I don't imagine you will stick with FSX much longer--it's pretty long in the tooth by now.

Hi Stewart,

I did look at P3D but can't understand (despite everybody else being able to - seems to be a common occurence for me at the moment!) how I'm supposed to get it? There seems to be nothing but commercial licenses and I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to go for. 

I have read about OOM but didn't think they were relevant any more since so many people are still on FSX using all these addons, so many Youtube videos demoing it... I would have thought if OOM was a thing there'd be no discussion left on FSX? You know better than me, I'm just genuinely curious. My concern is that P3D doesn't have as much addon compatibility as FSX, and where it is more compatible it's considerably more expensive - but maybe it won't actually be a big deal for me and the addons listed above. I'll have to double check. But yes, I was put off looking at P3D because of the website.

2 hours ago, Smudger said:

Your specs are excellent on that new machine, for FSX or P3D. I would ensure the Windows10 is 64bit not the Home 32bit edition, P3D especially will benefit from that, I would also have the 500/1000gb SSD  over the 250gb M2 card, unless you were using that just for your OS.

Your Sim will keep growing, especially the way Orbx tempts us with excellent scenery.

Ultimately the depth of your pocket and aspirations will dictate what you can acheive.

Thanks Smudger, yes I've cancelled the M2 and Win10 for now and will just run 7-64bit for now until 10 is absolutely necessary.

1 hour ago, Triplane said:

You've made a really good choice with Windows 7. The 1070 is, indeed, a bit of overkill for FSX but FSX isn't the whole world. If you ever switch to P3D you'll be really glad you picked the 1070......................................Doug

I'm a bit concerned as I've just totalled up the costs for P3D vs FSX. FSX software will in total cost me £556.86 AND enable me to fly the CS757, LD767 and use FSPassengers. P3D equivalent software is £692.23, £135.37 difference! And none of that software is currently available.

Although I understand, this is still early days for P3D, and these things will eventually emerge. Sowing the seeds etc. And at least with P3D I won't feel permanently guilty for having gone down the FSX route whilst everybody else is partying in the 'P3D' room, and I don't have to spend half my time trying to keep FSX on life support with loads of mods and still running the risk of an (inevitable, with the addons I want) OOM!

Thanks very much everybody for all the advice. I'm guessing it's the pro license for P3D ($199).

EDIT: Looks like academic is fine. That changes things a little. I'll go for that then. (!)

Archived