OLC_NA_REG.bgl

andiflyit

Hi all,

have a problem with the file OLC_NA_REG.bgl which sits in the OLC_AA\scenery folder.

It disables the autogen at my Grenadines scenery by a 3rd party developer. 

To test it I have renamed it to bgl.off and the autogen works at the Grenadines.

What does the file do within the OLC landclass? This is FSX.

Cheers

Andreas

Hi there,

that file adjusts the FSX/P3D default Region assignments, which determine what variant of a given landclass type (and its autogen) is displayed at which location: North American North, NA South, Tropics America, etc. As with many default global files, the default regions.bgl is  rather crude/inaccurate and limit the options for local detail and diversity, hence the adjustments.

If you disable the file you'll probably have incorrect textures and autogen showing at many other location across the openLC NA coverage area. Thus, I'd suggest to either only deactivate it when flying in the third-party coverage area or else untick the openLC NA entries during those flights.

Cheers, Holger 

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Andreas & Holger

I had the same problem. According to FT the Grenadines are not compatible for P3Dv4 here is the fix to solved the Problem.

As far as I know ORBX changed the regional labelling of the Antilles area! Now it belongs to "H"-region. That's why it must to write the
completion of default.xml just below <CODE>H</CODE>. With this, the autogen will appear perfectly in my case.

If the flytampa autogen editor did his job, the proper entries would have been put in default.xml. The fly grenadines autogen puts its files startiing at <CODE>R</CODE>. With a proper xml editor changed the code R to code H just that single letter and save Autogen is back and you don't have to turn off the ftx old na mentioned previously.

And your ORBX adapted land classes will not be lost in South America with openLC SC.

Ted

Ted: I think South America will be good, it has its own OLC_SA_REG.bgl

Secondly, I would be very careful about modifying the autogen default XML even with Notepad++. Reason being that everytime you use FTX Central, it will revert back to the code R for the autogen.

So, at the very least, you should BACKUP that default.xml file before you edit it.

to Holger: what is the difference between the OLC_NA_REG.bgl and OLC_NA_REG.bgl besides the size the of the file. The first one is 168kb and the second one 13kb.

The second one at 13kb does not change with the region code of autogen.

Cheers

Hi guys,

just as a reminder the Caribbean isn't part of openLC South America but rather North America. Both "OLC_SA_REG.bgl" and "OLC_NA_REG.bgl" make the same kind of adjustments to the default Region boundaries, within their respective coverage areas. The difference in file size just reflects differences in area covered and complexity (i.e., number of distinct Regions).

If you're interested, these types of files, along with all vector/polygon (i.e., _CVX), terrain mesh, photoreal, landclass, and other files, can be examined in regards to content and coverage area with the small TMFViewer.exe that is part of the SDK. Very useful. Note that most of the screenshots in the Terrain SDK were taken of these kinds of files loaded into TMFViewer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx

Ted, thanks for the suggestions regarding the adjustments to default.xml. I assume the FT definitions are in a separate file that then gets merged onto the existing .xml? Otherwise, any manual changes would be overwritten the next time FTX Central is run because it does always check that our own version is installed and restores it if changes are detected.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the explanations Holger.

Much appreciated.

You are right that the FT definitions are in a separate file that then gets merged onto the default.xml

Those definitions are well known and described by FT. I have a list of those 40 definitions if that's any use??

Also their tool (FT) to merge the definitions is only compatible with FSX sp2.

Cheers,

Pierre

Hello

Of course Pierre, you should always do a backup. Especially if they are sensitive P3dv4 files.

Unfortunately it is true if you start FTXCentral the entry is overwritten again. I had not noticed that yet. South America I have not explored with openLC SA so far just the well-known destinations Rio, etc. I did not notice any Errors.

Of course not so many people do not fly so often in this corner - even without autogenes, the Grenadines are beautifully implemented by FT.
The note from Holger with the TMFViewer is interesting. I've looked at it - a very powerful tool !

Ted :-)

PS @ Holger, I installed my old Tongass Fjords from FSX times in P3Dv4 for the first time a few days ago and I'm thrilled. Although I knew the adjustments but have not done so far because I thought that's too much work. Within 30 minutes everything was done. Perfect and thx for this nice Addon :-)

• 2 months later...

A fix I've found for this issue that has seemed to work without ill effect is to manually add the FT autogen lines under the "H" header (regardless whether or not they exist under "R").  This all works well, that is, until FTX Central is run again, after which you either need to restore your edited copy or re-add the lines.  Although it's really just a minor nuisance, is there any way to get those definitions to persist through an FTXC update?  I have other add-on autogen entries that seem to persist just fine.

Link to the FlyTampa forums with the process and another link to the autogen entries:  http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10165

Archived