Found Two More, The Quest Continues.

FSRobert

Hi Tweaker,

If Holgers mesh is located above the FSG2008 entries, will it provide the correct data and cancel out FSG?  IN other words can I install Holgers AND FSG and get the best of both worlds?

In theory that should work and you can't break anything by trying so it's probably worth a shot. The only reason I say "in theory" is because the spatial extent of each mesh file plays a role too. If you start a flight at a location with overlapping mesh of the same resolution then FSX will correctly load the one with higher priority in the scenery library menu. However, if you fly into an area of overlap from the outside then FS will keep the mesh it already loaded and not switch in-flight. I don't know whether FSGlobal uses a few large or many smaller files or something in between (my files cover large areas) so it's hard for me to say whether this caveat applies or not.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.  I will give it a try and let you know how I go.  From a very vague memory I think I could perhaps uninstall the Australia mesh section with FSG but i don't know what else I would loose with it (eg PNG).  But first I will try and install it and add it just below the FTX entries.

I was under the impression that the order of the mesh's made absolutly no odds to FSX what so every. FSX looks at the resolution of the mesh's it has to hand for any given area, and then uses the mesh with the best resolution. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure thats what P. Taylor said ages ago in his online FS blog.

In that case, if they're both the same res, then FSX *should* display them in the order they are in on the scenery list. In other words, if the Global stuff is lower below Australian mesh, then FSX should display the Australian mesh over the Global mesh as you enter the region. And I did use the "should" word!

Archived