NZSI / NZQN Blurry RW textures and dark flashing polygons

elsmoko

To FTX/Orbx support,

ID / receipt number is 59262e49bebc6

My rig > FSX Accel, Win 7-64 Intel i7-930 (OC 4ghz), 12gb DDR3, NZ South Island, Orbx NZQN.

Perhaps this should be divided into several topics.  Scenery around NZQN looks beautiful; however when flying default Cessna 172 around the immediate vicinity

of the airfield large black and other dark colored polygon artifacts pop on and off and the runway will also be black momentarily at times. When the runway is NOT black, 

the runway textures / markings appear as very blurry from approx. 30m in front of the Cessna and beyond........

I have read older topics in the forum on this issue and have tried the suggested remedies with some success.  But I'd like to know if the Orbx team offers a patch, update

or other FTX/Orbx sanctioned fix for these issues.   Images below for illustration >>

Best regards,

Ken Boardman 

NZQN_RW_CR1.thumb.jpg.2e54d5c67da680088356b04e187db43b.jpg

NZQN_Polys_CR1.thumb.jpg.e498de38866fdccc8cd74d67e7b6148b.jpg

Hi Ken

First, please apply and confirm the below conditions.

Ensure the Orbx Libs are installed and up to date. (is there a blue notification above the settings button in FTXC3?)

Ensure all of your 3rd party addons are at the top of your scenery library and above your FTX entries.

Then in FTX Central 3 Insertion points, move "FTX entries should be inserted below"  just below your last 3rd party addon.

Then move the "openLC entries should be inserted below"  just below your FTX entries. and click "Save".

Then run the "Force Migration" option.

Also maybe have a look at the below topic.  :)

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/484112-black-texture-popping/

Cheers

Doug

Hi,

I hope you dont mind me chipping in here Doug. The anomalies displayed in the above screenshot in my experience are due to your Pc not keeping up with your sim settings. You may need to move your sliders to the left until the blurries and black squares dissapear. I have never found this to be an issue with Orbx installations. May I ask for your Pc specs please? 

Also, here is the result of 2014 investigation.

On 13/07/2014 at 2:33 AM, Tim Harris said:

Hi Markus

Regarding the mipping and driver settings, like Holger says you're having issues displaying texture into the distance, I see it in your Milford Sound picture also (the markings at Milford are crisp as they are vector based markings, while at Queenstown they are painted onto the surface so the effect will be much more prominent)

In the Nvidia GPU control panel make sure you have Anisotropic filtering set to x16, and in FSX settings set 'Anisotropic' for the filtering also

That did it!

nzqn_sharp1dba08.jpg

nzqn_sharp2tfzzi.jpg

Anisotropic set to 16x!

Thanks a ton!

Although this turned out not to be a development "bug" but a "feature", in my eyes the question remains why Queenie is the only place this odd behavior happened (not only on my system).

I do understand that it's always hard for scenery creators to find the perfect balance between detail and performance.

But a scenery demanding the highest-possible setting on one specific item (such as the level of anisotropic filtering in this case) appears to be out of the perfect balance, don't you think?

Queenstown actually doesn't need an overhaul, I agree.

But you might consider adjusting the balance for future developments.

Finally, I'd highly recommend adding this issue to the NZQN Specific Tuning Notes (page 4 of the manual).

Thank you, guys!

Now I'm a satisfied customer! :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

Markus.

Thank you for the replies and tips.  I have seen noticeable runway rendering improvement via the Anisotropic filter settings changes.  I was mainly interested in whether

there was a "canned" NZQN fix or update available.  The settings change requirements are awkward (especially the 16x Anis.setting) because it is not necessary for most flights.

The NZQN area is so very scenic it should rate more attention IMO ~:)   And other than the blurry runway and occasional flashing polygons,  the Orbx NZQN scenery is IMO beautiful.  

I have not tried all of the suggestions above yet;  but I will > after backing up scenery.cfg, etc.   If I learn anything from them worth sharing I'll follow up here.

Best to all,

Ken Boardman

Hi Richard,

My PC specs are Win 7-64, FSX Accel,  EVGA E760CL MB,  Intel i7 930 (liquid cooled, OC 4.0ghz),  12gb DDR3,  EVGA Nvidia GTX 960 (4gb),

Enermax Galaxy 1250W PSU

Some of my add-ons >> FTX Global base, LC NA, Global Vector,  Pilot's FSG 2010,   Libraries up to date,  Holgermesh,  HD Trees,  etc.

BTW,  today I edited my signature to show most of the above specs;  however it doesn't appear to be active yet.  Perhaps it's waiting

for approval.

Ken 

Archived