Problems with JC Statue in Rio

Just installed OLC SA. Went to Rio. Looking for Jesus. But he seems to have back-slid. I have OLC SA and Vector in place, plus FS Global Ultimate NG. I did / do have Paulo Ricardo's Mega Rio de Janeiro installed, (with the default FSX/P3D Rio de Janeiro global entry disabled), but I had the PR Rio disabled in the scenery cfg file and had re-enabled the default Rio before doing this flight.

bfYOdby.jpg

kQvnTTn.jpg

zvAuKNC.jpg

Just tried same thing (same scenario) in P3DV3 and in this case, there's no sign of the guy at all.

iLFOo53.jpg

Maybe the PR Rio also dumped a bunch of stuff in the general  P3D \Scenery folders on the original install and blanking out the scenery.cfg entry is not enough? Don't see how that should affect my P3Dv4 system as the way I was running it under v4 was only to point the v4 scenery.cfg  to the v3 directories anyway, so v4 wouldn't have picked up anything in its own folders as the PR product was never actually "installed" to v4.

OLC SA looking good though!

I have p3dv4 without any scenery for Rio (Only Global/Vector/SA LC), and it looks like the same of your screens. I already tried with Default/Orbx SA mesh/Freemeshx different configs, using 5m and 1m resolution and it allways like this. Also, Sugar Loaf looks like a little rock and not the big one as real.

Hello,

The statue is a default FSX scenery object and was therefore placed onto the default mesh.

If you introduce new mesh that changes the shape of the hill, the statue will not move and

therefore will appear to be hanging off the edge, or maybe hidden inside.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

The statue is a default FSX scenery object and was therefore placed onto the default mesh.

If you introduce new mesh that changes the shape of the hill, the statue will not move and

therefore will appear to be hanging off the edge, or maybe hidden inside.

Thanks for the info Nick. I'd never really thought about the implications of changing the mesh, I just assumed that any objects placed on a surface would move appropriately with any improved mesh. I suppose I should have thought of that, given the number of times I've encountered floating buildings and the like.

Anyway, not being much of a god-botherer myself, I'll keep the mesh and make do without Jesus.

The images above resemble a stock OLC SA and P3Dv4 - adding an Un-named Mesh that is brand new and has a partnership agreement of sorts with ORBX but that we are not allowed to talk about - and the mesh provided as freeware corrects it in part....as noted here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/138990-redeem-this/#comment-1228899

it's still a bit of a shame that this isn't correct given it's a key feature of the area - not sure it''s that big a deal...but I like to look for accuracy in the process of enjoyment in P3Dv4/ORBX - perhaps another company or even ORBX will address this in a more detailed city/airport rendition in the future.

Just to confirm all this, I went back there with the Paulo Ricardo Rio turned off, the default FSX/P3D Rio enabled, and with the Pilot's FS GU NG mesh turned off as well and this is the result, JC is back on the mountain ok

FSImyH9.jpg

1uzS1Pb.jpg

dJcODig.jpg

Does seem a shame that adding an improved mesh can result in this sort of thing but there you go.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:54 AM, andy1252 said:

Does seem a shame that adding an improved mesh can result in this sort of thing but there you go.

And why is that?  You altered their product and expect a better product then what they gave you?  Well, does it look better?  What I see it would not!

Steady.

With every flight simulator there is always a trade off.

If you want coasts to look good, you must be prepared for the occasional airport in the sea.

If you want the mountains to look good, then some of the default objects can be left looking

a bit odd, as they do here and so on.

Pretty much the only way to have everything is an FTX region where thousands of hours

go into correcting all these little things and some large things sometimes.

Moreover, if you see something wrong in an FTX region, it will usually be fixed, if it is possible

to do so.

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Pretty much the only way to have everything is an FTX region where thousands of hours

go into correcting all these little things and some large things sometimes.

And boy, do those regions do the job!

I will admit to being a scenery junkie, and trying to get getting good representations of all sorts of interesting places around the planet is where a large chunk of my money has gone over the last couple of years. I buy lots of scenery products, and grab lots of freeware stuff as well, and nothing, but nothing, comes close to ORBX. With a few exceptions (the likes of FSDT and Flightbeam for large airports, and DD for their cityscapes) everything else is bought more in hope than expectation - most of it looks quite poor by comparison. Some can be quite reasonable, but in other cases it never even stays on my system after the first overflight. If ORBX subsequently covers any areas/cities/airports that I've bought from other vendors I'm fairly confident that those other products will be replaced.

Things like this JC issue in Rio though are interesting, as it all adds to my understanding of how it all works and hangs together. One of the things I have found difficult with the flight sim world is getting good information about how everything fits together. The combination of Microsoft's customary paucity of information with the underlying product and the fact that most people don't want to be file fiddlers anyway means that discovering what's what and where and how everything interacts is a slow process (well, it has been for me, anyway). Discovering this forum has been a huge help in that respect.

So thanks again to all at ORBX, and to all the contributors here.

Archived