Looks like BitDefender just decided it doesn't like FTX Central

Sethos

Been using BitDefender for years, along with FTX Central. However, today as I booted up FTX Central, I was greeted with a long error and BitDefender going crazy;

2Jvq4hn.jpg

NkPMR2E.jpg

So just a heads-up for anyone using the same combination, you might also have BitDefender going a bit ham :)

Thank you for this finding. I am going crazy on what's happening with FTX Central today. So far I haven't been able to fix it. I excluded the files but still can't recover FTX Centra. Any update would be very welcome :)

I actually went as far as completely uninstalling BitDefender and running their uninstaller tool, to properly get rid of it. Even that doesn't help, as FTX Central now crashes a few seconds after opening and the log telling me it can't find my "terrain.cfg" in my main P3D folder -- Not sure that is even located there? Tried deleting the OrbX folder from appdata and re-installing to no avail. 

This thing has completely screwed over my FTX Central installation apparently.

3 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Once you have stopped BitDefender from eating FTX Central, you can quickly refresh it this way.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work, not for me at least. It starts up fine but once the little "Activating Orbx scenery" appears, I get this;

cVY8BG9.jpg

With the top of the log stating; "[2017-07-25_08-49-32-PM 3.2.1.1] - System.Exception: Could not find your terrain.cfg file. It does not exist at D:\Games\Prepar3D\terrain.cfg"

My Scenery.cfg from C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 had also been changed at one point, which it gave me an error about. Only thing I had was an "OldScenery.cfg" which I renamed. 

BitDefender has completely trashed FTX Central.

Same trouble here FTX was working yesterday and today when I just started it failed. Noticed bitdefender had removed access to AppData folders which are shared with full permissions, so granted access again. Removed the folders in AppData\Local and created exclusions for the installer and FTXCentral but when reinstalling the program an error popped-up "Orbx.Installer has stopped working, etc but no solution or reason given. The installer managed to create the Orbx folder and the FTXCentral folder which only contains Bugsnag.dll, changelog.html  and  DotNetZip.dll . A bit late here in UK so going to bed and have another go tomorrow.

Hi,

Same problem here.

Be careful though, Bitdefender issues affect other addons. The antivirus reacted badly to whereismyaircraft.exe in the addon folder and deleted the addon, prepar3d.exe, scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg (At the same time as ftxcentral, it makes me crazy) .

Keep backups of these files in a corner.

So i just went through this whole BitDefender deleteing FTX central thing too... The issue seems to be that BitDefender not only blocks access to the internet, but deletes the FTX Central .exe file as well. 

The way I got it to work was:

1. Add C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral to the exclusions list (I added C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.2.1.1 too)

2. Add exclusions for FTXCentral.exe (both in C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.2.1.1 and C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\) and Orbx.Launcher.exe to both the antivirus scan and the firewall exceptions/rules list

3. Launch FTXCentral

Thats how I managed to get it to work. To get to that point, however, involved lots of BitDefender blocking internet access and deleting the ftxcentral.exe - luckily there is a recover option that means you can get it back!

Hope that helped a little. I am able to get back into FTXcentral again now, and am downloading a few things as we speak :)

Cheers,

Rob

Getting the following two in the event log

Application: ftxcentral3_installer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare)
   at System.IO.Compression.ZipFileExtensions.ExtractToFile(System.IO.Compression.ZipArchiveEntry, System.String, Boolean)
   at System.IO.Compression.ZipFileExtensions.ExtractToDirectory(System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive, System.String)
   at System.IO.Compression.ZipFile.ExtractToDirectory(System.String, System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
   at Orbx.Installer.MainWindow+<DownloadSoftware>d__18.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at Orbx.Installer.App.Main()

Faulting application name: ftxcentral3_installer.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57ecfe8c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1378, time stamp: 0x594a13be
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000da9f2
Faulting process id: 0x202c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d305d894ad0530
Faulting application path: E:\FSX Stuff\DOWNLOADS\ftxcentral3_installer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 5951db53-f0ee-4eff-8a9c-27ef0f75a3e8
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I too have Bitdefender but usually disable the virus scanner just after starting my computer. I do not have any other Bitdefender modules/programmes. I then control when to scan manually, instead of Bitdefender taking control.

i just checked my FTX central after following my normal procedure and it is apparently functioning ok. I just tested P3D v4 by installing the FTX Global NA airport pack. All went well.

My usual Bitdefender procedure is to start the PC, click on the red Bitdefender icon. I make sure autopilot (top right) is off. Click on view modules (middle right). Click on the little cog/wheel to the right of the word "Antivirus" (left upper). Page opens, click on or check the word "Shield" is highlighted in blue. Go over to the right and disable (turn off) "On-access scanning". A drop down window will offer choices for how long to turn it off, I choose "until system restart". Close the window.

This is obviously too late for some but works for me. Please note I said for me. I am wary of writing something like this so try it at your own risk, but it may help as a temporary measure. The old story though, each computer is different.

Until this is sorted out by Bitdefender I will hold off on manual scans.

(I say again, it works for me it may not for you).

Roger

Back from work and managed to get it to work after clearing all OrbX folders in user/lAppdata/Local and disabling bittorrent. Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

Bitdefender won't be renewed when it expires.

• 5 months later...

Archived