Time to delete P3dv3 since using P3dv4

Hello, now that I use P3dv4 exclusively I want to delete P3dv3 to free up the space. I have used FTX Central to install my Orbx scenery and all works well. Is it ok to completely uninstall P3dv3 or will that mess up the scenery in P3dv4?

Thanks,

Marc

It won't mess up the scenery, but if you are going to install the ORBX airports it would not be a good idea to uninstall v.3.  When the airports are ready for v4, which should be fairly soon, the installers will use some of the code from the v.3 installations. Otherwise you will have to completely download the v.4 versions.

Thanks for the quick response. I do have some airports so I'll wait until they are ready before I delete anything. Orbx has really done a nice job on their projects and I'm so impressed.

Take care,

Marc

Just to add my 2c ....

My sim drive is an SSD - with not enough capacity for both, so I had to "bite the bullet" and remove P3Dv3. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. I've been waiting patiently for the ORBX sceneries/airports to arrive and have been adding them as they became available. Luckily for me, NZNI and NZSI were quick off the mark, so I had plenty of nice stuff to look at as I waited!

The only thing I'd suggest (if you have the spare space somewhere) is to make a backup of your "Simobjects", "Effects", "Sound" and "Gauges" folders in case there's some legacy aircraft you tweaked manually to get working in P3Dv3 and want to save yourself some time digging out the relevant files. It also serves as a good guide as to what you used to have installed. Once re-installed (and checked working) in P3Dv4, I removed the backup versions.

Adam.

EDIT: I have to add that, with having uninstalled P3Dv3 properly (and cleanly) FTXC worked perfectly - only finding my P3Dv4 version.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to the party here, but I also had a limited space issue on my SSD.  My solution to still have P3D around (not to fly with, but to get all the files and have ORBX do migrations properly) was to pick up the entire p3dv3 directory and move it over to my NAS, and then create a symlink from the original location so that it still shows up as there.  Performance would be atrocious if I were to actually try flying with it, as it'd be pulling all the textures and everything else from a NAS over the network, but it worked great for migrations, and I still have easy access to any old configs and stuff should I want them.

Should anyone want it, here's the command I used (and occasionally have to re-use as windows sometimes loses the symlink for whatever reason) to create the link after moving everything.  Use it in an administrator cmd window, or make a .bat file and run it as admin:

mklink /d "F:\Prepar3D v3" "\\GALVATRON\storage\Final P3Dv3 Backup\Prepar3D v3"

Change as appropriate.  If you're using another local drive rather than a NAS, you might want "/j" as an additional option.  It didn't seem to work well for the NAS mount.

-stefan

Archived