Airport install caused sim crash

I appreciate that Orbx released the freeware airports to be installed.  Yesterday I installed my Global freeware without any problems.  Today I installed Vashon, Westwind and Nanaimo, and I couldn't get past the initial load screen without the sim crashing.  Once I uninstalled those three, then P3D worked fine again.  I wish I knew how to troubleshoot better, but something in that group caused a real issue.

Please check your FTX insertion points using the tool on the settings page

of FTX Central.

There is nothing in those three airports that is even active when yoiu start P3D

unless for some reason you have set your default flight at one of them.

It is possible that the scenery library entries have interfered with P3Dv4 default

scenery library entries if you have not set the insertion points correctly.

I've run into the same thing, although I haven't gone through the troubleshooting yet of trying to disable airports to figure out which (I installed all the ones that came out for v4 the other day). I'll plan on doing that later today. I believe I have my insertion points correct, the same as I did in P3D3. Doesn't matter if I start at one of the new ORBX airports or somewhere else in an ORBX region.

Nick, thanks for your reply.  I haven't changed the default flight, but I've narrowed it down to Westwind being the problem.  When I installed Vashon it was placed right beneath the Orbx Libraries as it should.  When I installed Westwind, it was placed right beneath Vashon.  That all sounds correct I think, but something is awry there.  I'll add airports one at a time and test after each so I don't have to guess what airport is the problem.

Nick, things are looking bad.  My sim was running really well until this morning.  I uninstalled Westwind and P3D was again working fine.  I then installed Claresholm and it too crashed the sim, so something is going wrong with each additional airport I install.  I've attached my scenery.cfg that may shed light on the situation.  

scenery.cfg

Hello,

It looks OK to me.

I put it into my copy of P3Dv4 and it all works as it should.

If you feel that these three airports are giving you problems,

perhaps you can just take them back out?

You haven't installed any AI aircraft have you?

I've narrowed my problem down to a combo of 2S1 and 7WA3. If either are enabled, the sim crashes right after the scenario selection, before the progress bar even comes up. If I make both inactive in my scenery.cfg things load fine. Once I am in the sim I can re-enable them within the sim, but if I exit and go back in it crashes again. Doesn't matter if I spawn at my default KPWT (nearby to both) or in ZBAA, which should be away from any orbx scenery I have. I'm spawning in the default F22 as well to take any payware aircraft out of the equation. I'll attach my working scenery.cfg for what it is worth.

scenery.cfg

9 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

It looks OK to me.

I put it into my copy of P3Dv4 and it all works as it should.

If you feel that these three airports are giving you problems,

perhaps you can just take them back out?

You haven't installed any AI aircraft have you?

I've done as you suggested and just uninstalled those three airports along with Claresholm (although that one may be okay).  No, I haven't installed any AI aircraft.  This stuff is too complicated for me, so I'll just come back to this another day.  Thanks for your feedback.   

1 hour ago, gprguy said:

I've narrowed my problem down to a combo of 2S1 and 7WA3. If either are enabled, the sim crashes right after the scenario selection, before the progress bar even comes up. If I make both inactive in my scenery.cfg things load fine. Once I am in the sim I can re-enable them within the sim, but if I exit and go back in it crashes again. Doesn't matter if I spawn at my default KPWT (nearby to both) or in ZBAA, which should be away from any orbx scenery I have. I'm spawning in the default F22 as well to take any payware aircraft out of the equation. I'll attach my working scenery.cfg for what it is worth.

scenery.cfg

For me, I would like to help but do not know your current config.  With your "addy -

Prepar3D 3.4 - Orbx Products: Most everything.

Other addons installed: MyTraffic 6, Tongass Fjords X, EZDok, FSUIPC, Active Sky 2016 + ASCA, Rex Texture Direct, GSX, many airports and aircraft.

I would assume that most of these are not running currently in P3Dv4.  I have everything that Orbx have released running plus other vendors who have released v4 compatible scenery, airports and aircraft. I only have those items that Nick has mentioned happening at a few airports in the Vancouver area.  Of course I haven't see all the addons because I own all the Orbx areas and cities.

I have 3.4 installed and just waiting for the airports to arrive so I may uninstall them out of the 3.4 directory.

Send me a PM if I can help.

I checked the windows event viewer, and a few of the P3D crashes pointed to the faulting module of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll.  I also had a couple that pointed to the P3D folder itself and the ai_player.dll.     

I am experiencing the same problem. Faulting module listed as facilities.dll. I firstly tried installing all of the freeware products and got a CTD when loading a flight (got to the start page ok). I uninstalled the freeware and all worked ok. I then tried installing just Bowerman (KHQM) and sim CTD upon loading a flight (not at that airport). Unistalled KHQM and sim working fine.

7 hours ago, curt1 said:

I checked the windows event viewer, and a few of the P3D crashes pointed to the faulting module of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll.  I also had a couple that pointed to the P3D folder itself and the ai_player.dll.     

Hi Curt,

Have a look at the below link,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/cwindowssystem32ntdlldll-d936e9b1-551f-11e1-9179/f4283421-f191-49bd-8df7-eb3a89b75967

Then I would run an sfc /scannow as per the below link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEHB1W-5Rs

Cheers

Doug

Doug, thanks for your feedback.  sfc /scannow showed no integrity violations.  As to the various causes of ntdll.dll crashes, I've read a few articles about them and ways to determine the cause etc.., but I don't want to go on a hunting expedition when the cause seems directly tied to the freeware airports.  Once they're uninstalled the problems go away.  P3D has been running really well with my other payware airports from numerous vendors, and my problems with ntdll.dll and ai_player.dll didn't occur until I installed some of the North American freeware airports.  Oddly enough, the freeware Global airports (outside of NA) all installed fine and work great.

I'm just going to wait until the Objectflow update is completed and make another attempt then.  I'm heading on vacation in a few days, so I'll just check the forums to see if others have similar experiences.    

For the benefit of the other thread posters and Orbx support team, I'm attaching a link to a thread that sheds light on what's going on with some of us.  (I hope that's okay).   https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/514459-scenary-add-ons-crash/

Since I was having regular crashes after installing an Orbx airport, I naturally assumed the problems were tied to Orbx.  After reading the attached thread, it seems there's a P3D bug where certain sceneries conflict with each other leading to the sim crashing. 

Archived