Correct settings for new region lights with openLC installed?

Matt McGee

I'm confused on what my NA regions' control panel settings should be.

FTX Central has updated my NA regions with the "new night lights".

Running P3Dv3 and have openLC NA installed.

Which boxes should I check in the control panel?

[ ] Night Lighting (check this to disable night lighting in the CRM area for openLC NA)

[ ] New night lights (turn new night lights on or off)

Also, do the frozen lake display issues still exist for P3D?  (Do I still need to have "open water in winter" checked?)

I'm confused also.  I thought that the FTX Global lights with OpenLC were supposed to be superior to the existing region lighting.  With the options listed, it sounds like the regions have new and improved lights, but I'm thinking those with both OpenLC and full regions should check the box to disable those new lights?  To keep it simple, from the developer's point of view, should we have both boxes checked, or is this just a matter of preference?

3 hours ago, h3pilot said:

I'm confused on what my NA regions' control panel settings should be.

FTX Central has updated my NA regions with the "new night lights".

Running P3Dv3 and have openLC NA installed.

Which boxes should I check in the control panel?

[ ] Night Lighting (check this to disable night lighting in the CRM area for openLC NA)

[ ] New night lights (turn new night lights on or off)

Also, do the frozen lake display issues still exist for P3D?  (Do I still need to have "open water in winter" checked?)

I thought it was fairly straight forward, check the first box if you want OpenLC NA's night lighting to be disabled while you're flying in CRM.  The second is checked by default if you want the new lighting turned on for CRM.

5 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I thought it was fairly straight forward, check the first box if you want OpenLC NA's night lighting to be disabled while you're flying in CRM.  The second is checked by default if you want the new lighting turned on for CRM.

Why would I want open lc lights if I'm in a region? Regions always take priority over global / open lc anyway. 

1 hour ago, GlennH said:

Why would I want open lc lights if I'm in a region? Regions always take priority over global / open lc anyway. 

No, that's not it at all.  The whole idea is, if you have OpenLC NA installed, you can disable its light system in favor of the new Region version of lighting.  If you check the second box, you enable the new system; if you leave it unchecked, the OpenLC NA lighting system is active provided you left the first box unchecked.  That's how I understand the choices at any rate.

but what's the difference between the two and why would open lc lighting ever have been showing in a region area?

i will add that I thought all regions had already been updated to global style lighting a long time ago?

the limited release notes are not really much help. 

Can one of the devs explain this please:

"Night Lighting (check this to disable night lighting in the CRM area for openLC NA) "

Since regions trump landclass in both quality and in scenery display priority what is this talking about?
The wording here is not clear at all.  A little exposition would be nice to explain what it means.
I obviously want to use the option that will provide the best looking scenery.  Is that option to tick the box or not?
And what is the actual difference in appearance (and performance maybe?) between the two anyway?

Thank you for the guide Nick.  The screenshots make the difference clear.

I assumed that I should want the "new night lights" enabled.  Why would Orbx add them if they weren't better? :)

But I found the additional option to disable the new lights in favor of openLC lights confusing.  I thought they were different types of lights and didn't know which type was better.

Thanks to the new guide, I understand that the quality of lights is the same, but that you can have duplicate lights if you don't disable one set.

I assume I still need to keep "open water in winter" checked in P3Dv3.  Does it work in v4?

(It has been so long that I can't even remember what the frozen lake error in P3D looks like.)

Archived