Computer died.

Dadtom65

Right first I'd like to thank all those who tried to help in the topic Any Ideas but the other day my comp finally died. But good news a new one is on its way, well bits, thank you boss(wife). Never quite finished making a backup of FSX as per Nicks tips as never got round to doing the Orbx folder as that was going to take awhile. Not looking forward to installing everything but hey at least I have a computer. Don't realise how much you miss it until it's broken. Thank you Derek.

I can empathize Derek. I've been there and I know how you feel. Have you thought about doing a periodic backup of the whole system? External disc drives are really cheap now and you can even get a really good backup program for free. See this:  http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html  . The Standard edition is free and I've tried it both on a backup and restore....and it works as advertised. One other thing to think about....the computer I'm using as I write this is over seven years old. And it's hardly ever been turned off. The only thing that has been replaced is the CPU/GPU (just because I wanted an upgrade), one internal HDD (I have five), and one of the DVD drives (I have four).Some folks say leave the PC on and some folks say turn the PC off. I'm one of he leave-it-on guys. All I know is I've had very little trouble. Plus, and this is a big advantage, by leaving it on 24/7 I can run a full backup every night. Luck......................Doug

27 minutes ago, Triplane said:

I can empathize Derek. I've been there and I know how you feel. Have you thought about doing a periodic backup of the whole system? External disc drives are really cheap now and you can even get a really good backup program for free. See this:  http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html  . The Standard edition is free and I've tried it both on a backup and restore....and it works as advertised. One other thing to think about....the computer I'm using as I write this is over seven years old. And it's hardly ever been turned off. The only thing that has been replaced is the CPU/GPU (just because I wanted an upgrade), one internal HDD (I have five), and one of the DVD drives (I have four).Some folks say leave the PC on and some folks say turn the PC off. I'm one of he leave-it-on guys. All I know is I've had very little trouble. Plus, and this is a big advantage, by leaving it on 24/7 I can run a full backup every night. Luck......................Doug

Is the free version good enough for backups? Thanks 

Yes, Absolutely.....The Standard version is the only one I've ever used and it does a very good job on system backups. It doesn't do well for backing up a few files but if you want to do the whole system it's great. I'd recommend trying it. It's free and if you don't like it nothing is lost. Something like Acronis True Image is a more flexible program but it comes at a cost. To test the Standard edition just do a full system backup and put it on any drive where you have the space. If you decide it's not for you just uninstall it and nothing is lost....................Doug

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

Right first I'd like to thank all those who tried to help in the topic Any Ideas but the other day my comp finally died. But good news a new one is on its way, well bits, thank you boss(wife). Never quite finished making a backup of FSX as per Nicks tips as never got round to doing the Orbx folder as that was going to take awhile. Not looking forward to installing everything but hey at least I have a computer. Don't realise how much you miss it until it's broken. Thank you Derek.

Well Derek, good to hear that you have a new computer in the works so to speak. Sorry our collective efforts could not fix the problem(s) your old system was having. Soon, you should be up and flying again :)

Archived