FTX Trees HD. Install location.

Jon Clarke

Can you tell me in which folder the HD Trees are installed into please. I appear to have a possible mix of trees which may have been installed via freeware addon. I am assuming that if this is so, then the freeware trees may have been put in the same location as the HD Trees.They could of course also be in the Scenery folder of the addon, but I still want to know where the Trees HD are installed into.

I have already uninstalled HD Trees and reinstalled hoping that this would overwrite any 3rd party trees. i did this because I was at Aosta airport in Italy and there were lots of pale green trees around the hills. They did not look like the HD Trees in my opinion, but I could be wrong. The setting was Spring time. Unfortunately the pale green trees do not look realistic, although again, they may be an accurate rendition for that time of year.

Have you deactivated the new "speed trees" in P3D v4? The appear as very bright green and look very odd. Initially, I had the same issue, but when deactivating the speed trees everything looked perfect again.You find the option in P3D below the graphics, world setting as "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation". I now leave this unchecked, but you do need to close and restart the simulator before you see the change.

Thanks Holger.

Do the orbx ones contain Orbx in the title? I see plenty of Orbx titled ones but also ones like treesconfer.dds TreesNew.dds and want to know if they are orbx as well or could be installed via 3rd party addon.

Hi there,

Orbx textures either start with "Orbx" or "FTX" and the default sets with "veg_". There are also six default files starting with "trees" in \Scenery\Global\Texture, all with a file date of 2006 (or newer in P3D). I don't actually know what their purpose is or whether they are used at all (there are plenty of unused legacy files in either sim); FTXTreesHD doesn't alter or replace those.

Obviously, I don't know what naming convention other developers use. If in doubt you can check against the file names in the various \ORBX\Scripts\FTXTreesHD\ folders; if the name doesn't match it's got nothing to do with FTXTreesHD.

Note that the folder "\ORBX\Scripts\unified\backup" should contain a full backup of the "veg_" files existing on your PC prior to installation of FTXTreesHD.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks again Holger. By the backup file reference you make, would these be textures that Trees HD replaced,? I ask because I noticed veg files in the current Global Texture folder, and they could be overwrites by a 3rd party addon, replacing, with the same name, the veg folders. Hope you understand what i am asking ! To clarify, in the backup folder are the textures ones that have been removed when installing Trees HD?

Just to mention an observation I have just made. I have looked in the Scripts folder in v4 and it holds no copies of textures at all. Just a note entitled Important Backup Readme. I do however still have v3 installed and the backup folder is full of textures. Most odd. Should I copy the v3 backup contents into the v4 backup folder. The installation of Trees HD was done via central which copied over files and any updates and not installed manually by me. Since the initial instal have , via central, uninstalled and reinstalled Trees HD. Cannot work out why there is no textures in the v4 backup folder. Any ideas on how best to tackle this issue?

Hi there,

correct as to your first post, the backup folder will contain the files replaced by TreesHD, default or any third-party files you had already installed.

As for your second post; wrong folder, perhaps? I was talking about  "\ORBX\Scripts\unified\backup". The "backup" folder in \Scripts is no longer in use, unless you're still on FTX Central v2.

Note that you can always use Windows Explorer's search function to look for specific files.

Cheers, Holger

Archived