Release Announcement clarification v4. Nick Cooper

Jon Clarke

Hi Nick. In your added piece to the Release Announcements you say the following:

"Please do not install  to P3D v4 using downloaded back up files from before 2nd June 2017"

I a slightly confused in this regard and seek your clarification. The announcement indicates that if you have v3 still installed then it will be quicker to install into v4 because central 3+ will copy files from v3 and download any additional portions required to make the addon v4 compatible. That I understand and have used that method to date with the named v4 compatible addons.

Using a backup copy though, you say may require Central 3+ to completely  download the whole addon again if it was backed up/downloaded prior to 2nd June. The files in v3 would be installed prior to 2nd June and Central didn't download the complete addon. I don't understand the difference between the addon in v3 being "copied" and updated where required, and a backup copy.

I have installed all the v4 ready products I own but am asking if all the airport addons that I have backup copies of are now useless because when they become v4 ready Central 3+ would not readily use them but redownload them all again.

In other words can i delete all my backups as they will serve no purpose?

Hello,

Please don't delete anything at present.

It will become apparent when further products are released for P3D v4 

whether there is a substantial download or not when these backups are

used.

If a full installation of products remains on the PC, that will undoubtedly

be the best source of files for the eventual installation into P3D v4.

If you intend to use that, your backups are already redundant in respect

of P3D v4.

Well, I would love to not delete my v3 installation. But sadly, my Flightsim-SSD is only 500GB in size and because of that it was impossible to maintain v3 and v4 in parallel. Glad I have a more or less fast connection, because now I will have to download all the sceneries again as soon as they are available. At least the big heaps (FTX Global etc.) I was able to migrate. I hope, FTX Central will still realize that I bought those sceneries although now my v3 installation is gone? I guess so, as it is connected to my account, no?

Archived