P3D v.4 on new computer

ifrevets

I have been using a computer for FSX exclusively.

I now have gotten a new computer for P3D v.4 exclusively and I have a few questions.

Does P3D v.4 require a previous version or is it a stand-alone program?

Can I install all my ORBX titles into P3D v.4 via FTX Central v 3.2.0.3?

.Are there any other things I need to know to accomplish this?

P3d v. 4 does not require a previous version, but Central transfers parts of the P3d. v. 3.4 to the new version.  If you don't have the previous version, you will need to fully download ORBX products.  The whole operation would take longer.

Thank you Doc_Z for your prompt reply,

I do not have a previous version  but I do have backups from my installs into FSX.

I have all of them that were released prior to the May sale date.

Would I be able to use those or will I have to download them over again?

As long as the backups are new enough to have the multi sim installer facility, but the best option is to download the latest versions through Central 3.2 as you go. Also check the forum for the FTX addons that are not ready yet for v4. All the Regions are plus the OLCs and HD Trees. Airports are not yet ready as they are waiting for a new 64bit compatible object & peopleflow.

Hi  jjaycee1.

Thank you for your reply and the link.

If you have FSX or FSX:SE installed but don't have Prepar3D installed

If you have decided to make the move from FSX to P3Dv4 and *dont* have earlier versions of P3D installed you must download all the Orbx products which are P3Dv4-ready using FTX Central. Your products installed into FSX cannot be copied to P3Dv4 - they are different builds and not compatible.

Looks like that should set me straight!:P

I believe Nick pointed out somewhere here that any files downloaded before 2 June 2017 are not compatible with v4 and can't be used.  jjaycee1 is right on the mark - just install everything using FTXC 3.2. If you want/need a new set of download files as a backup FTCX can do that for you when it installs the new stuff.....Doug

I am doing the same thing except it is on a new SSD and not a computer.

The advantage of a new download is that you always get the latest version.

I had just finished doing a complete download for my V3 so I just had to use Orbx's file transfer system which saved me days of downloading.  Like so many of us that live in small towns or rural areas my ISP's download speed sucks.  It takes a while to download 188 GB of files at 300 Kbs.

Has it been worth it? You bet.  No more OOM regardless of aircraft flown or what scenery you are over.

Dale

My experience with OrbX in V4 was that FTX Central took most of the OrbX data from the V3 installation but still added about 500Mb fresh for the v4 region - ei. Norway

The 2 LC products again took most of the data from v3 then added a few 100Mb new download

In any case things change so fast these days that with a normal fast net connection just let it work in the background & you will have it

Even a slow connection will get what you need, just a bit slower

Hi Dale

Finally got Prepar3D v4 installed.

Had problems with first download. Would not let me activate. Said I had wrong activation password.

After much frustration I uninstalled the program and downloaded it again. The second download worked.

I had no problems downloading the 22 programs that were available for v4 in my FTX Central 3.

I'm one of the lucky ones with download speeds of up to 8.3MB consistently so it took relatively little time to get those done.

I hope they release some of the airports soon so I can see how they compare with FSX.

I am new to Prepar3D (didn't have any previous versions) so I have to find out where to get some tutorials

on how to set it up and  install stuff into it (like my airplanes and other scenery),

p.s. Just finished successfully loading all of my PILOT's scenery into P3Dv4.

Now I can do some flying and check out how great (I hope) P3Dv4 is!

Archived