FSX to P3D??

Tim K

Hi all!

The past weeks have been extremely exciting in the flight sim community! Like some of you, I am wondering which direction I want to go in the future. FSX has been my platform since it came out and I ran it on my old Dell Inspiron laptop getting 10 fps. Ha. The good old days, right?

Since then, I have run it on 2 other computers and eventually got into addons and tweaking and like everyone else, began running into OOMs. Like the rest of you, I have been sacrificing beautiful scenery for virtual space and just waiting for a better option.

Well, now, just in the past few weeks, many options have emerged. Aerofly. Flight Sim World. And now, P3d v4. 

I have reservations about Aerofly and Flight Sim World (topics for a different thread) and so, in the sense of exploring options, my question is this....

If I would decide to switch from FSX to P3d v4, could I install the beautiful sceneries I bought from ORBX for FSX into P3D v4? Or would I need to buy them again for P3D? To clarify, I have bought many great sceneries from ORBX for FSX. Would I need to buy them again for P3D v4 or would I be able to install my current ORBX sceneries into P3D v4 through FTX Central?

Thanks much!

On 2/20/2017 at 3:15 PM, John Venema said:

I just wanted to reassure those with a sizeable investment in Orbx products for P3D that you won't be asked a penny more to upgrade.

Yes, I saw that post. But my specific question is: Does this comment also apply to a switch from FSX to P3D v4 or just from P3D v3 to P3d v4?

Based on John's post and based on the setup of FTX Central, I am assuming the sceneries I bought and installed in FSX would also install into P3D v4 without having to buy them again, but I just want to make sure that his comments also apply to a platform switch from FSX to P3D v4.

6 minutes ago, John Venema said:

You won't have to pay to move from FSX to P3Dv4. You *will* need to re-download everything again since the products are built differently for P3D.

Thanks for clarifying John! That was what I figured, but wanted to make sure! 

I LOVE ORBX sceneries but I also wanted to think about possible future investments before deciding on a direction. :-)

this is great news i plan on moving on from fsx steam and get p3dv4  now I know I can buy more scenery with the sale  and not have to pay for it again  hope fully the  redownload  wont be a problem   

Hi Tim, I'm like you, tweaking my rig for FSX for years, and to be honest, OOM where not bad at all except lately.

But I had it.

For 90$ or around for AF2 (complete), what you get for you money is out of this world period.

I'm on a somewhat budget and a full new rig is out of the question (well let's wait and see) for now, since I thought that AF2 would be hard to run I uploaded a few thing on my old 2600K (OC at 4.4) rig. But to be honest I didn't have to do so because it made no big difference. Again, I will also move to P3D V4 but the minimum spec are not out yet.

So anyone with a fairly good old rig can run AF2 easily.

What I did in the past 2 week:

-upgrade my GPU to a 1060 6G (from a 590 1.3 G)

-Added RAM (16)

-Bought WIN10 (fresh install)

-Bought a 500 gig SSD drive and a second 3TB HD

-New 1000W power supply and new transportable case, yes because I can't download big file from home.

For now nothing convince me of buying a 7600K for 450$ or around + new mobo + new DDR4 (750$)

I just finished up my new install yesterday and there is no FSX on it... for now :unsure:

AF2 run in the 100FPS in most area. I said 100FPS

And like 50 wile filming with Bandicam... 50FPS wile recording

As smooth as silk

I have to had a last thing, being a real pilot the feel of the small plane in AF2 is out of this world, the take off, landing, constant trimming is exactly how a plane feel for real.

Voila, Ben

Archived