Payment

swonavy86

Dear Forum,

This evening I received permission from the boss, aka the wife to splurge on some fantastic scenery by ORBX. However when I went to process my payment my card was declined. Worried, I had somehow mismanaged my monthly allowance I checked with the bank. Right as rain I has sufficient funds to cover my purchase (whew!). I called my bank to verify if there was any fraud or restrictions in my purchase. My bank verified the transaction was processed on the bank end, however the charge was $0.00. My attempts are utilizing a VISA Debit card. Does ORBX have any restrictions on the utilization of debit cards to process payments? I want to confirm I am doing everything correct to take advantage of ORBX sale this month! Thank you in advance for your assistance in handling this matter.

I have a visa debit card and it works fine on here.

Having said that I would prefer to use paypal but nothing seems to be moving on that matter.

Cheers Chris

I want to offer a solution to some credit card questions pertaining to ORBX that some of you have mentioned here in the forum. I too have suffered problems recently, though none of these problems are the fault of ORBX in any way.

Some of you voiced frustration that you couldn't purchase products here because you had no credit or debit cards. Here in the United States, a growing number of banks (sadly including my own) are no longer permitting their credit and debit cards to work overseas for security reasons. A few months ago, I went online to buy some new scenery areas from ORBX Central, and my debit card wouldn't work. I carefully checked to ensure that I had typed in the correct number and other information. Everything was perfect but the transaction still wouldn't go through. I suspected the bank's software had flagged a "fraud alert" since I was purchasing a product literally halfway around the world in Australia. I phoned the bank to tell them that, yes, it was me (David Mills) and I was indeed trying to make a legitimate purchase with my own money (already sitting in their own bank). And, by the way, it was only about $30 American. We're not talking huge amounts of money, and it was a debit card. I wasn't borrowing the money from anyone. So I thought that the bank would clear the transaction and I would be able to buy from ORBX thereafter without a problem.

But I was stunned when the bank told me that the card would no longer work outside the United States! Period. Even if I phoned them and confirmed it was a legitimate purchase, and for a small amount and with my own money already in their bank. No, their cards won't work anymore overseas due to widespread fraud and security issues. I was told that, even if I took my own card IN PERSON overseas, such as I would do on vacation, it STILL would not work and could not be made to work under any circumstances!

So how, then, am I buying ORBX products? If you have access to an AAA facility -- American Automobile Association -- they will sell you a VISA card for $9 that works anywhere in the world. There's no credit check and you don't have to have a bank account. You may reload the card as many times as you want for free. All you pay is the initial $9 for the card, plus whatever amount of money you want the card to hold. Every couple of months, I'll take maybe $150 in cash to my local AAA and put it on the card. Then I'll simply use this AAA VISA card on ORBX Central to make all my purchases. It works perfectly.

I do think that ORBX needs to address this issue, though using PayPal would not have solved the issue for me since my bank doesn't approve PayPal purchases either if those purchases are from overseas companies. More and more banks here in the United States are restricting the use of their cards to domestic purchases only.

I'm an avid flight simmer and a huge fan of ORBX. So I'm happy to go to the trouble of taking cash out of the bank, then driving in person to the AAA facility, and then reloading my card. But this is a hassle that would deter some people from buying ORBX products. I wish I could just use my regular credit/debit card. But for those of you without a card at all or whose banks are restricting their use to domestic-only purchases, you might consider this option. It's worked out well for me and allows me to buy ORBX products successfully.

David Mills

Huntington, West Virginia  USA

Thank you Mr. Mills for your reply. I've read of others having that difficulty, which is why I reached out to my bank to verify if there was any restrictions on my purchase prior to posting. My bank was able to see a successful transaction go through for the amount of $0.00. My bank verified there was no fraud or holds on international purchases and I was free to purchase from their end.

I use my bank debit card all the time for Orbx purchases, and have for years, without issue. I won't name my bank, but it is a large, national bank, and I make small and large purchases from all over the world without issue. Heck, a few months ago I bought a $700 throttle quadrant from a developer in Spain. I had that thing purchased and shipped to me in Hawaii in a week. So, with some banks, you can still use your debit card how you wish.

Update: Issue is not bank related. Spoke with them for over 30 minutes confirming no travel purchase restrictions, no holds on account, and funds are sufficient to purchase. The issue seems to be with STRIP as my bank is showing a transaction of $0.00, which is incorrect. STRIP is not completing transaction on merchant end. This is NOT a swipe at ORBX, as I'm sure they are not in control of STRIP. However if it would be appropriate to get a point of contact at STRIP to resolve this issue that would be much appreciated.

Archived