Issue with KMRY

dawgfan58

I have FTX global, openLC NA, and FTX northern california. I keep northern california not selected in the scenery library except for VFR. So when I fly into KMRY without northern california checked in the scenery library I have some elevation issues. Obviously if I enable NCA then the issue is solved, however the VAS/FPS is an issue.

If you want to fly into KMRY without those elevation issues, NCA should be enabled, as you found out.  Your vas/fps issues can be lessened by several means, depending on the aircraft you are flying at the time.  Personally, I have not experienced vas/fps issues flying into Monterey, but I don't fly jetliners, either, which may be part of your problem.  Cutting back on autogen density and cloud draw distance would be where I would start.  I've found these two settings help with issues in SCA and the LA/Long Beach Basin.

G'day Dawgfan, 

KMRY is only designed to work completely when NCA is installed and active - as you've discovered, the elevation issue is a big one when this is not the case. 

If you would like some help reducing your VAS footprint in NCA, this is another issue altogether. Have a search of this forum for previous suggestions; otherwise feel free to start a new topic regarding this issue. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Although what Jarrad and Stewart are saying is the " best" advice, what you are trying to do is fly NCA region without NCA active. 

Orbx have stated that they will eventually introduce a complete deactivation option in Central 3. The disabling of a Region at present only deactivates the main Scenery and Texture folders but does not do any more than that. KMRY during it's installation also adds an Elevation ADE file into your Scenery\world\scenery folder and this remains there even if you deactivate NCA or any other Region.

To remove (potentially) the current elevation problem you are having you also need to temporarily remove or disable the KMRY ADE Elevation bgl. I often remove the elevation bgls from the scenery\world\scenery folder if i want to fly tubeliners in a full fat region and store them in a desktop folder for reintroducing when I want to fly in the Full Fat region with the Region enabled.

I must add that this NOT the recommended process but only a workaround until total disabling of a Region is offered by Orbx.

Hi jjaycee1, thanks very much for chiming in, but I feel I should point out that your method will not work in all addon airport/region combinations, and certainly won't work in the case of KMRY. 

Disabling the KMRY elevation adjustment file, with or without NCA ticked in your scenery library, will cause major problems either way.

Each addon airport will be different, and will factor in elevation deviations from the default (both the region version and/or HD version of the airport), flattens/sloped flattens, whether the airport includes custom mesh etc. KMRY is a prime example of an airport with unusual elevation characteristics; the NCA version is at a different altitude to the default (and includes custom flattens & 10m mesh), the HD version includes a different altitude adjustment again, complex sloped flattens and higher-resolution 5m DEM. Because of the topography of the airport - built onto the side of a hill - any incorrect configurations are glaringly obvious, and hence why issues such as Dawgfan's are relatively common. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Many thanks for clarifying the particular nuance of KMRY Jarrad. I suppose i didn't actually realise that such anomalies could arise with a payware addon airport versus the "enhanced" airports" that are inbuilt into a FTX Region.

I stand corrected on that aspect.

Archived