Incredible! - What Are the Specs for a Computer to Run your Software

fltsimguy

OK I have been totally wowed viewing the UTube videos of your scenery.  Some things I think are likely FSX related like the water with waves with white caps.

There is now way I could ever fly around in FSX that fluid and with the sharpness and detail in the scenery.

Perhaps later this year I will look to get a new PC so please tell me what am I going to need to be able to get a flying experience as wonderful as portrayed in the Orbx UTube videos?  Spare no expense.

Bryan "fltsimguy" Wallis

Duncan, British Columbia

How about you post you specs so we can see if any one here has a similar setup. :)

And if you are going to upgrade you can look in the 'Hardware and Tech Talk' Forum to see if anything has been suggest for a PC in your price range ;)

cheers,

The new gen PCs will run FTX and addons very well ... so if you are getting a new PC later in the year ... all should be well.

The landscape will change over 6 months, so none of the info will be useful then:

for now - the way most are going

i7-920 - overclocked (to varying degrees)

suitable Mobo

6Gig of Ram - probably DDR3 - low latency, high clock (but basically match it to your overclocking requirements)

Vid Card with Lots of VRAM - Probably a 2Gig GTX285 series card would be the current pick (the SLI or 295 cards won;t ofer much bang for buck)

Fast Harddrive or RAID0 array (SSD drives are getting cheaper and faster)

All this will be laughable in 12month, and irrelevant in 6 ;)

As far as "now" goes ...  modest hardware can run FTX - but you'll need to make choices. Usually this means cutting the autogen back, and reducing some of the visuals - but overall this should result in a pleasing flight experience.

A separate drive to install FSX is a must in my book

Landscape is going to change in six months... ??   ..systems going to be irrelent....sounds scary, whats going on ?

Same old same old???

Junk your ancient AT and get a 386 with intergral Maths Co-Pro. , Sound familiar?

Seriously, yes, I am about to get a new system (discretionary and can be put off a bit) what gives??

Darryl

Nothing new - except a new socket for i7s

The bottom line is that computer hardware has and always is outdated in 6 months ...

so anything suggested now will be "old hat" in 6 months.

So I'll wait 3 months..hedge my bets... ;)

Joking!

Thanks, I'll go ahead now then

Darryl

I was hoping by now to be taking advantage of the reduced quad core prices in the wake of the i7 roll out, was looking to pick up sensibly priced Q9650; has that happened....No.

The Q9650 is over a bloody year old now and has been superceeded several times over, but here in the UK it's still priced around £245! crazy.

Oh well, looks like i'm stuck with the Q6600 for a while longer.

But yes, if you can afford to replace the MB, RAM, CPU, PSU, GPU and HDD's all in one hit then the above advice from Ian is very sound.

Russ.

My computer runs FSX brilliantly - and its a stock Core i7. So you can just imagine how well the sim must run on an overclocked system.

Im starting to see more and more games labelled as "Optimized for multi-core"....how I wish Aces was still around to mod the underlying FSX code to be the same.

A separate drive to install FSX is a must in my book

Yes I agree...in fact it should be a requirement to do this! Drives are so cheap as well :)

Mine's pretty much a middle of the road system and runs FSX superbly...

A system similar to what I would choose, but I wonder; does it cope with YMML combined with the Flight1 Citation Mustang? Those two addons bring my current system down to its knees, individually :D

Throttle-up.  The i7 is the easiest CPU ever to overclock.  Go to Simviation and follow the overclocking thread.  There are cookbook instructions.  Without overheating I was able to take my i7940 from 2.93gig to 3.3ghz.  It is really worth doing and you can also make sure you don't cook your chip.  If you have an additional air or liquid cooling system there are those who have got it running at 4+ghz.

Meanwhile, yes, I keep checking the Intel site to see progress on the next hot chip to come out - and the nVidia page for the next hot GPU, which nowadays means RAM, RAM and RAM.

Thank heaven for the server market, for if it wasn't for that need for fast processors then all of the effort of the processor and graphics industries would be diverted to laptops and the range of new small convergent machines that combine a telephone, camera, netbook and bidet.

• 10 months later...

Bryan,

There is very good info right here on this forum in the Hardware thread.

Various people have links within their posts to all of the necessary info that you need for a successful OC.

SpiritFlyer is a very accomplished OC'er and full of good advice. He's added heaps of threads on the matter.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Its interesting to see that the Intel i5/i7 chips are really dominating the market at present. It always was a fierce war between Intel and AMD for the fastest CPUs but since the Core i5/i7 rollout etc, Intel must be rubbing their hands together and AMD havent come up with a good match it would seem.

(For the record I have a core i5) :P

Bryan,

To answer your question simply:

An OC 980x, gtx 480, and an SSD (Vertex 2) drive will get you the results you want. You will need win 7 64, FSX Acceleration, and ORBX.  ;D

You will be marveled daily. I can't stop saying WOW!  :D

For OC'ing i found http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/ guide to be the best for beginner OC'ers. Its really informative guide for OC'ing and tells you how to find your maximum without great danger to cook your chip, and after that start OC'ing with the info about your own mobo, memory and cpu limits. I found it the safest one for beginners.

The i7-980X chip (6 cores, 12 virtual) has been around for a while now ... so it is no surprise they have finally put it into an Intel Mac.

The scariest part is likely to be the price ....

[EDIT: Although in this case it is a dual Xeon board 2 x 6 cores .......  at $AU7000 base]

Archived