Notes from an Orbx newbie

Aquilam

I became an Orbx customer--and fan--about a year ago when I purchased their beautiful Chicago Meig's Field scenery via Steam--fantastic work!

Recently I downloaded and installed Orbx's free offerings including their generous and stunning Iceland scenery. Notes:

1) After installing the downloadable content via FTX Central 3, my scenery.cfg file was inadvertently overwritten by another app I use (Scenery Config Editor) and the Orbx scenery entries were lost. After manually attempting to add the Orbx data into scenery.cfg myself, I realized that the order of scenery layers mattered (below ground airports in Iceland was one of the results of my mistakes). Unfortunately I could find no reference or method to reinstall the scenery data into scenery.cfg without first uninstalling, and then re-downloading and reinstalling the Orbx content. I felt bad about this at a time when Orbx's servers are already overloaded, but again it appeared to be the only option to get the Orbx data correctly added to scenery.cfg. (After reinstalling the Orbx freeware content is working great.)

2) I don't understand the file-naming conventions for the free content, i.e., it's difficult, if not impossible, to determine what Orbx subfolders correspond to what scenery. Every scenery folder has cryptic names only a coder could love. Again a file-naming guide would be helpful, and if someone could point me to such a resource I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forums

It's a pity you didn't come here first.

In your ORBX\scripts folder is FTXConfigurator.exe.

Right clicking that and running it as an administrator will add all the product entries

to the simulator scenery library and in the right order.

There is a system to the naming of the file folders and I suppose anyone who

wants to manipulate the files will work it out but it is not encouraged.

Thanks for the tip Nick! Unfortunately there's no reference to FTXConfigurator.exe in the FTX Central 3 interface.

Regarding file naming, I have no interest in manipulating the Orbx scenery files themselves, rather I use an app called SIMstarter NG that allows me to create custom scenery.cfg's based upon the scenery areas I plan to fly (limiting scenery entries speeds up FSX performance immensely), so if I'm flying a particular Orbx scenery area I would prefer, like my other scenery addons, to only activate the relevant entries. This is difficult to do when with cryptic scenery names.

You won't find it in FTX Central... It's a small program that gets ran automatically when you install a new piece of Orbx software... it's done in the background, so you probably don't ever realise it ;)

It can be ran manually though... You can find it in the ORBX/Scripts/ folder that is inside your main sim directory. For example, in my case, it's here:

S:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\ORBX\Scripts

Just right click on the icon called "FTXConfigrator.exe" and then click "run as administrator"... It'll do all the hard work for you.

13 minutes ago, sim123 said:

simstarter NG will use the scenery.cfg and when orbx stuff installed it is named the same as other addon scenery.

so there will be no problem to select or deselect scenery needed for your flight.

rgds

Maybe I'm missing something, but with the Iceland install I don't see any scenery.cfg entries that say Iceland, so I have no idea which entries are Iceland nor those which may be associated with or required for Iceland. Entries that identified themselves as Iceland might have saved me re-installing everything else because Iceland appeared to be the only scenery I was having elevation issues with.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE8 & ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE9 - Iceland 

Thank you!

I should mention that I can't get FTXConfigurator.exe to work; when I click on it nothing happens.

Same is true for  FTXConfigurator_OLC.exe

FTXLights.exe however works fine. Not sure what's going on.

I'm flying FSX Steam Edition

****************  SYSTEM SPECS  ****************
Windows 10 Home 64 bit 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz
ASUS X99-A Motherboard
32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
850w Power Supply
GeForce GTX 780 driver version 373.06

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 27 QHD U2715H 
Resolution: 2560x1440 (monitor native)

G602 Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse
Logitech G510 USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Saitek X52 Pro Flight System (throttle & joystick) 

Thanks for the response Nick. I really appreciate the responsiveness of this forum!

Regarding FTXConfigurator.exe, it would be helpful if FTXConfigurator.exe delivered a message confirming its action.

On a related subject, one thing I've discovered is what appears to be an incompatibility between FSX Central 3, FTXConfigurator.exe and the freeware SceneryConfigEditor for FSX. With over 900 addon sceneries (and growing) I, and likely many other FSX users, find SceneryConfigEditor indispensable for managing scenery data sets, especially when it comes to setting scenery priorities.

- Using FSX Central 3 to install a new scenery reorders scenery.cfg's layers by putting all Orbx scenery at the top priority (to be expected), but then it also resorts *all* other scenery layers by what appears to be the installation dates of that scenery. This is a disaster, especially for one who has carefully organized over 900 scenery entries.

- Running FTXConfigurator.exe doesn't resort all the scenery like FSX Central 3, however it does remove all of SceneryConfigEditor's meta data, which again can mean the loss of many hours work.

While I appreciate Orbx's effort at making a seamless and easy-to-use interface for its products, my guess is that in its current incarnation its use is resulting in more work for the FSX user rather than less.

FTXConfigurator.exe is run by FTX Central and does not need a user interface.

As for the Scenery Config Editor, I have used and been an advocate for it since

it was released.

The simple way to mitigate any effects that FTX Central may have is to have a

saved version of your scenery.cfg files, load the one you want, run FTX Central

and use it.

You can then discard the scenery.cfg file and reload your saved default.

If I had a scenery.cfg file with 900 entries, I would have already split it into smaller

more managable scenery.cfg files.

I maintain regional scenery.cfg files and keep them as "profiles" with names like

sceneryWESTERNEUROPE.cfg.

To use one, I open it and use the "save as" function to save it as scenery.cfg.

Thanks for the tips, Nick. As an FSX noob I have learned the performance value of smaller scenery.cfg files. To that end I've had great results with the payware SIMstarter NG which makes managing individual scenery.cfg profiles nearly seamless.

2 hours ago, Aquilam said:

Thanks for the tips, Nick. As an FSX noob I have learned the performance value of smaller scenery.cfg files. To that end I've had great results with the payware SIMstarter NG which makes managing individual scenery.cfg profiles nearly seamless.

I use SIMstarter myself too. Obviously, with my setup, I have a lot of scenery in lots of different countries, and I also fly some pretty heavy metal from time to time... A good setup I've found is to have "regional" profiles set in SS, two for each region... so I have a North American General Aviation profile, and a North American Airliner profile... the GA profile has high settings and all airports in North America active, the Airliner profile has lower settings to help with the heavy performance hit of the airliners I fly, and only large airports active. Similar for Europe, Asia etc. Then I have a full global setup with everything active, in case I want to do some trans continental stuff. Something to bear in mind as you get deeper into the rabbit hole that is fight sim ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought FTX Global, Vector, LC N. America, LC Europe, and using the settings provided in the pdf's when I fly I don't even make it to taxiway FSX Steam Edition quits to desktop I know it's a 32 bit application but ever since I installed your products the application quits. I have tried disabling areas how are people getting your products to work? Very frustrating and costly. I run Win 10 Pro 64 Intel 6700k unlocked running at 4.4, Gigabyte Geforce Nvidia gtx 1070 8g video card, 32 gigs Gskill 3400 MHz ram running at that speed. I also tried Rex Essentials OD Rex Worldwide Airports their newest one and uninstalled them and still the same problem. I only fly VRS Superbug and VRS Tackpac planes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling  all of my Orbx products same thing. what settings in FSX Steam are people using to make this work?

Archived