2 hard drives one full - can I put scenery in the second hard drive

I have no control over what staff members do, the complaint is lodged and I will leave a reminder.

It occurs to me that you may not have a full installation of the Microsoft .net framework.

If you visit this page and download the net version detector, you can use it to check and if

necessary install the missing elements.

You should see this

dotnetversiondetector_main.png

Has  it occurred to you Andrew that this is your problem, as no one else appears to have the sort of problems you are having. These forums are probably the best in the simming industry for getting help, and the staff are infinitely patient, giving their time trying to help.

My suggestion..Start over, and follow the instructions, but then again, I am only another client of Orbx and may well be told to "butt out". Teecee

Just for clarity. I have now the following files showing:

OrbxFTXOpenLC_EU120_Part2

OrbxFTXOpenLC_EU120_Part1_3

OrbxFTXOpenLC_EU120_Part3

OrbxFTXOpenLC_EU120_Part4

Within Part4 there is an OrbxFTXopenLC_EU120 Application. There are no applications in the other 3 files.

If I click on the application OrbxFTXopenLC_EU120 it asks me to extract all files which I did.

At this point I am going to wait for advise as last time I got into problems from this point onwards as it was asking me to insert disks for the various parts.

I await your reply.

The four downloaded files must be extracted and all of the files placed into one folder.

The contents of the folder must look like this

Capture.png

Until you have this one folder containing all the files, you must not run the installer.

Once you have, right click on Orbx FTX openLC Europe120.exe and select

"Run as administrator" from the drop down menu.

Here is a resolved topic from another customer who faced a similar problem to yours.

Yes there is, you seem to have somehow associated .2 files with Internet Explorer.

Look at the type column and you can see it, under Text Document.

This is probably why the installer cannot see the .2 file and you see the request

for another disk.

You might be able to solve this problem if you go to Windows File Explorer View options

and deselect "Hide extensions for known file types."

If this does not work, how to remove the file association can be found on this page

I just went back to try and download again part 1 and before I click on download I opened the ZIP preview in Internet Download Manager (this is one of the programs you recommend for downloading).

In that preview you will see that it is associated with the internet.

I haven't associated it with the internet have I? The download appears this way before I've even clicked on download.

2016-10-21 (2).png

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:55 PM, teecee said:

Has  it occurred to you Andrew that this is your problem, as no one else appears to have the sort of problems you are having. These forums are probably the best in the simming industry for getting help, and the staff are infinitely patient, giving their time trying to help.

My suggestion..Start over, and follow the instructions, but then again, I am only another client of Orbx and may well be told to "butt out". Teecee

Dear Teecee,

Absolutely it is my problem. I purchased a download of scenery and find the installation procedures archaic and non user friendly. I have downloaded quite a few add ons from other companies (Just Flight, PMDG, GCS cant remember the name of the provider, as well as DMC directly from Steam) and installed them without problem.

This is a brand new PC, high spec and without previous versions of Flight Simulator so it should be a lot simpler than this.

I'm glad you are a happy customer and I would like to be one too.

What is a 2 file?

Files that contain the .2 file extension are most commonly used by various IBM voice recognition applications. These files contain information about the script data and voice type language that are used by the software applications.

So as I try to fathom out what is going on I have come across the above. .2 file extension.

On my pc it is set to open with Internet Explorer. I can see that I can change this on the specific file that I have downloaded apparently. If so what should it be changed to?

Is this the normal procedure a customer has to go through to add scenery or it is just specific to my new PC?

Thanks

Andrew

It is you who has somehow managed to associate the .2 file extension with Internet Explorer.

I have pointed out your error, explained what you need to do and linked you to how to do it.

It is unfortunate that you have dismissed the advice in these terms

" I can't follow either of the 2 processes above I'm afraid."

Unless or until you accept that the problem is of your own creation and is not a fault in the software,

no more progress can be made.

4 hours later I have managed to go into the registry and locate the .2 file extensions and delete them.:(

The file in question is still showing up the same.:angry:

2016-10-21 (4).png

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

It is you who has somehow managed to associate the .2 file extension with Internet Explorer.

I have explained what you need to do and linked you to how to do it.

It is unfortunate that you have dismissed the advice in these terms

" I can't follow either of the 2 processes above I'm afraid."

Unless or until you accept that the problem is of your own creation and is not a fault in the software,

no more progress can be made.

I have no idea why this new PC associates .2 file type extensions with Internet Explorer.

Please advise next steps as I have removed .2 from the register editor as you advised.

However if you read the messages above you will see that the file is still showing the same.

2016-10-21 (6).png

Hi there,

it really doesn't matter because the only purpose of an association is linking the file extension to a specific application, meaning it's like a shortcut that gets triggered when you double-click on a file, but only then.

As Nick has explained above all you need to do to start the installation procedure is to double-click on the .exe file. The data files (.2, .3, .4, etc.) all need to be in the same folder but will get loaded automatically by the installer. Thus, the file association of the .2 file is irrelevant and won't interfere with the installation.

Cheers, Holger

Holger

Really?  So the fact that its showing as an IE type won't affect the installation. That's not what I was lead to believe at all, hence my chat with Microsoft.

All files have been added to 1 folder but the file assocation of .2 file is IE and I was told this was the reason the install didn't work?

I apprciate your input alot.

Andrew

This is what I said, based on the perhaps foolish assumption that you had followed the guidance on how to install

and that this had failed again.

This is probably why the installer cannot see the .2 file and you see the request

for another disk.

It seems I am wrong and I'm sorry to waste your time.

As Holger has kindly corrected me, it seems it doesn't really matter in this case.

If you wish to remove the association, follow the guidance in the link, all of it and then reboot

your PC.

Far be it from me to disagree with a Microsoft help line.

Suffice it to say that I have Microsoft Edge on this PC and it is not associated with .2 files, in fact

.2 files are not listed in the registry or file associations at all.

An association is surprisingly easy to create, whether intentionally or not and can be achieved by selecting

the Open with option and highlighting a program.

Then it only need the always open with this box to be ticked and it's done.

Not so easy to remove.

Archived