FTX Traffic

chumley

Hi

I have loaded the FTX Traffic files and firstly would like to thank all involved in the production for their efforts in making my airports come alive.

In FS9 I used to have an application that would allow me to view the scehdules like a flightboard for times I spent watching arrivals and departures. Is there such an application for FSX?

Thanks

Aybe

Ok - it would appear there is no proggie to look at schedules for AI.

The reason for my interest is after loading the latest and greatest version and sitting patiently at YMML waiting for my favourite airline, Cathay Pacific, between 7.30am (scheduled arrival) and 9.10am (scheduled departure) it never makes an appearance.

I think perhaps something is not right and wondered if anyone else has witnessed a presence.

Thanks

Aybe

The morning schedule for Cathay Pacific into Melbourne according to the latest Cathy schedule (as per their website) is arrival at 06:15 for Flt 135 and departure at 07:35 for Flt 134.

The FTX AI flight plan has the arrival at 06:20 for Flt 135 and departure at 07:40 for Flt 134, which would have been correct at the time FTX AI was put together some time back.

Microsoft made an error with the time zone for Melbourne in FSX so if your system still has Melbourne 11:00 hours different from GMT, those times will be out by 1:00 hour. If you have corrected the Microsoft error, then look for Cathay to arrive as per the above schedule.

I've not yet found a satisfactory flightboard type program for FSX but I am still looking.

Thanks Graham

I had my times cocked up. I travelled back from Hong Kong earlier ion the year and of course we were in the midst of daylight saving hence my belief that the time should be around 7.30am.

I'll wander over to YMML shortly for another look.

"If you have corrected the Microsoft error, then look for Cathay to arrive as per the above schedule."

Mine show 9hrs. How is it corrected?

Cheers

Aybe

Of course you are correct, the time difference is 9:00 hrs not 11:00. It's been that long since I corrected mine I had forgotten.

What you will find is that Microsoft put the time zone change between 10:00 hours from GMT (Sydney and Brisbane) and 9:00 hours from GMT at a vertical point somewhere between Sydney and Canberra. Any Australian town west of that line will have a time difference of 9:00 hrs until you get to the next time zone change somewhere between Adelaide and Perth.

You'll find that all of your home state of Tasmania is out by that hour in FSX. According to FSX you're in the same time zone as Melbourne and Adelaide but not Sydney and Brisbane.

I would have said that Microsoft got it correct by putting Sydney 1:00 hour ahead of the rest of the country but having Brisbane there as well sort of destroys that argument. (a little Aussie humour for our international guests)

I'll have to go back through my files to find the fix and I'll post info on it tomorrow.

The program is Dennis Thompson's World Time Zones v3.0 about half way down the page on this website.

http://www.matva.org/utils.htm

It's for FS9 but works fine in FSX as they have the same time time zone engine.

This little set-up will correct all the times Microsoft got wrong around the world. It even has Broken Hill on the same time as Adelaide as in real life.

You can also use it to switch between Australian Summer Time and Australian Standard Time if you wish.

There is a small error in one of the batch files and I have corrected it in the file below. Once you have Dennis' files in place, just replace his file with this corrected version.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance with this. I have found it to be a good little utility that just sits there quietly and works.

Hi Graham

I have dfownloaded and loaded the Thompson files and your replacement batch file.

When I go into FSX Melbourne & Hobart are still GMT+9 and Sydney & Brisbane are GMT+10

Was the Timezone fix supposed to correct this?

Thanks

Aybe

Great to hear that all is now well. I think I also had to add the entry in FSX myself from memory. Perhaps the Scenery config entry was more appropriate with FS9.

If you need to change to or from Daylight Saving Time, go to the folder Addon Scenery/TimeZone/Scenery and find the file DSTorTST and double click it to run. It will run very quickly, probably 1 or 2 seconds, and that will then set all your times to Australian Standard Time. It changes to whatever is appropriate at the time you run it ie. if you run it today, it will set everthing to Standard Time.

You should never need to return to that file unless you wish to change to Daylight Savings Time in October. I prefer to maintain my FSX system on Australian Standard Time as that is how the schedules in the FTX AI Traffic pack were set up.

Happy simming.

Hello followers of FTX AI.

I was extremely lucky, while visiting Australia to see our grandchildren, to be invited to Graham's home here in Sydney, and given the chance to see what goes on behind the scene's in making up scenery ,or in fact anything else aeronautical.

I should have written this earlier, but unfortunately, I fell down a stairwell at the son in laws residence and broke 4 ribs and puncturing my left lung. I was allowed home from Westmeade Hosptial a little over a week later.

I do want to take this opportunity in thanking Graham  for showing me just what goes on in a developers world, it was very very fascinating and Graham thanks again. I hope you don't mind another visit next year!!

Regards,

Jim.

Hi guys,

In FS9 I used to have an application that would allow me to view the scehdules like a flightboard for times I spent watching arrivals and departures. Is there such an application for FSX?

Actually, if you have FSX Deluxe you already have access to a free AI traffic viewer named Traffic Toolbox. It's part of the Software Development Kit (SDK) files, which you need to install separately; the SDK installer is one one of the two FSX DVDs.

The utility will add itself to the FSX menu on top of the screen under Tools > Traffic Toolbox and includes a board ("Traffic Explorer") that lists airplane type, airline, arrival and departure time, gate, status, etc. and also has a "radar" screen (Traffic Map) that shows all active AI in the user's airspace. Using either the list or the radar screen one can "jump" into Spot View of any listed airplane. Moreover, one can manipulate each AI with a large number of commands.

One oddity though it's not related to the utility itself but rather a "bug" with FSX: if you have AI active and force a scenery refresh to get rid of blurries or for other reasons the AI will respawn meaning you know have duplicate AI.  

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for Traffic Toolbox.

It amazes me I didn't think to look on the disks as I used to use it in FS9.

I have loaded the application but must have stuffed up somewhere as it doesn't show in FS.

My FSX is loaded in E:\FSX and I put the SDK in the same place. Undoubtedly this is not correct so any advice on how to install and make it work would be most welcome.

Thanks

Aybe

Hello Aybe,

I have both FSX and the SDK on my D: drive so having non-default locations are definitely possible. However, I don't think you want to have it inside the FSX folder. Instead I placed mine in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK". In addition the trick is to insert a piece of code into a config file so that FSX knows where the SDK modules are located. There is a small .exe file in the SDK folder that's supposed to do that for you (run "ConfigSDK.exe" in \Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK) but that never worked for me.

In the same folder as the fsx.cfg, in Vista it's C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, is a dll.xml file. Make a backup copy of it (!) then open it in Wordpad or Notepad and add the following lines:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

The Path can be relative to the drive that FSX is installed on (which is why I have ".." as they are on the same drive) or you can insert the full path, for example "<Path>D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>

Save the dll.xml, re-start the sim and the new SDK entries should appear.

Cheers, Holger

I can't speak for the other airlines but I prepared the Qantas and QantasLink schedules based on the published flights by Qantas for July 2009. There should be no timing issues as the normal time zone differences that exist in Australia were factored in. If you can give me more details, ie. flight number or time of day, I'll check it out.

I'll leave it to Mal Walker to check re Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

Archived