Going back to win7pro

bailout3

4 weeks ago I purchased a very fast custom built PC from ncix with win10 home installed. I have installed and uninstalled fsx deluxe with accelerator dvd's half a dozen times. Each time something wrong happened when I tried to install my numerous addons beginning with orbx global and global vector. Many good people in these forums tried to help me but with my limited knowledge of files, compression and extraction I have given up. My last PC I installed fsx on a hp PC with win 7. I had no problems...everything just basically went to the default location on my hard drive then I downloaded all of my DL with no problems. However, I didn't have global vector when I first got my PC. But I had many orbx areas, all Na and then over time purchased and installed 85% of Orbx programs. I now have global vector and the open lcs. 

My new PC has a 1 TB SSD and a very fast 1TB hd. My old system just a hd. Maybe that has thrown some confusion into the scenario for me as well. I am contemplating having win 10 removed and win7pro installed, after all this PC is expressly for fsx. 

The os was on the SSD drive c:/ and the hd was labelled data d:/ . Fsx was on c:/ and the downloads were sent to data d:/    Is there a problem with using the two drives ?.

I don't care about the cost so much as I just want to be able to fly again.

Comments appreciated.

I just had a new system built this Spring with win10 and had no issues at all installing all of my Orbx products into it . I do however use P3D , you might consider moving to

P3D . I have had P3D since it's inception and I would never go back to any shape or form of FSX (Steam or Gold) . Food for thought mate and I hope you get to flying again soon .

Cheers

John

Hi John...thanks for the reply. Do you have 2 different drives for fsx? 

I really don't know anything about p3d other then the name and wouldn't know about installing it either. What I might do is have a    

Friend who has fsx do a remote install for me for the first couple of addons so I can see how it is done on Win10. I just don't understand why it isn't installing properly like it did on win7. I can install the fsx DVD,s and addon aircraft but not global vector and with my limited knowledge I can't figure out what is going wrong. Maybe I will put everything on the hard drive and see if that works.

I have been using Win 7 Pro since it came out. My FSX is on my E drive as Microsoft Flight Simulator X.  It is a 500GB SSD and all of my FSX files and scenery files are on it.

I have a fairly high end system and FSX runs flawlessly on it with FPS up to 40 and above. ( except in Seattle) where it usually runs around 17.  All of my settings are set to the right and nearly all of my scenery is ORBX.  I have many different developers aircraft but fly A2A and RealAir the most.

I have no plans to change from Win 7.

Tom

12 hours ago, bailout3 said:

My last PC I installed fsx on a hp PC with win 7. I had no problems...everything just basically went to the default location on my hard drive then I downloaded all of my DL with no problems.

If you installed FSX in the default location, that could be the problem. Most people would recommend that you install it somewhere else to avoid all the protected file silliness.

( I think it is probably even more restrictive in Win 10 than in 7.)

I have FSX Steam and P3D v3.2 running in Win 10, installed in my G drive, and I have zero problems.

Just FYI...

Russ

Could someone give me an alternate example that can be used to replace the default path. I would like to give it a try.

thanks.

Ps: I have a 1 tb SSD and a 1 tb hd western digital caviar blue 6 gb sata 7500rpm...should I put everything on one drive to keep it simple for me or use both and if the answer is the later how do I set this up and what paths should I use. I really am PC 

challenged...sorry

Windows 7 isn't the answer. Windows 10 will work just fine for what you are trying to do.You really, really, really need to find someone who knows what they are doing and have them set things up for you. You need to stop looking for a magic solution...there isn't one. This isn't rocket-scientist work but after all those uninstalls/reinstalls I honestly think that unless you get some competent help locally (not via the forums) you'll never get things right. Nick has the right idea - if you have a friend that can help let them do it for you.

Doug

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and I find it great. All my FSX SE loaded fine and I am happy with it.   I have all my Flight sim stuff on a separate SSD .  The default location is the C Drive, Its a simple matter of changing the destination drive to the one you want , and I am a PC plonker .

23 hours ago, bailout3 said:

Hi John...thanks for the reply. Do you have 2 different drives for fsx? 

I really don't know anything about p3d other then the name and wouldn't know about installing it either. What I might do is have a    

Friend who has fsx do a remote install for me for the first couple of addons so I can see how it is done on Win10. I just don't understand why it isn't installing properly like it did on win7. I can install the fsx DVD,s and addon aircraft but not global vector and with my limited knowledge I can't figure out what is going wrong. Maybe I will put everything on the hard drive and see if that works.

Hey Mate , as I stated I only have P3D . I have it on my SSD C drive . But I also use my HD D drive for my large mesh folders ( FSGlobal 2010) etc . Here is a link for P3D :

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/

PS - This a link for a local club of Simmers that might be able to assist you : http://www.vacanada.org/v6/en/?page=about

Cheers

John

Thanks for the input from everyone and I am going to remain with Win10. I have someone who is going to help me start adding the first couple of addons in about a month from now. He is presently away on vacation unless I can find someone  else to  use the remote program sooner.

Again many thanks.

Archived