Consider buying OpenLC NA, but I'm wondering just how much is different?

Mac_Maddog88

I know I'll probably just buy it, but I'm curious still, how much new textures are there? How different does NA look with OpenLC? Is there still any scenery that's dull and repetitive like with default land class, or is it not far off from the quality found in full regions?

One thing I'm wondering specifically, do the tropical regions (Florida, etc) really look tropical and have a differing climate and set of land class textures than areas further

North?

Thanks,

-Mac

I actually bought it recently but have put off installing it due to being concerned about the problems people have reported post migration with blurries and VAS issues. I posted a pre install question in the support area and Holger answered but I can't decide if I should take the chance doing the migration and install. My FSX has been flawless for the past few years and I'd hate to jeprodize a good working install.

I bought it instantly.  It is a superior product.  Well worth it for sure.

I am not totally convinced yet that OpenLC EU and NA and the migration haven't added extra demand on scenery processing.  I never had VAS OOM's but now I do, so I have had to play with all sorts of things to find a stable flying regime.

Just tried it though have been flying alaska/canada for some time. VASTly better than FSX scenery, not as good obviously as Orbx Regions. I notice the improvement most in the flatter areas like the great plans. No repeating patterns!!!

If you expect places you know to look like the real thing you may be disappointed. Terrain features are close to real, and building placements are good though not complete. That said, the terrain in general does look real. Water look a little off but that may be that it needs tweaking on my part.

All in all... I love it. Flying other places now other than just in areas where I have Orbx regions or photoreal scenery!!!

Cmitch

I agree with CMitch - I actually fly in non- Orbx regions and the combination of Global, NA LC and Vector have made my home turf of the Midwest US at least region-esque, as I doubt that Wisconsin will ever be blessed by region treatment.

The combination of the three above products is great - the only bummer is that you're flying into mostly non-enhanced airports.

Steve

I only just recently, within the last few days, installed the Rest of North America with high hopes for Mexico, a place that was in bad bad bad mal mal muy mal need of help... And I am not disappointed in the least. It looks terrific.

Hawaii has been upgraded nicely too. Slopes that were previously fully forested even up to the tip top Peaks are now a lot more craggy and lava face looking.

I can only assume or hope that Florida has been treated as kindly.

Regards,

Coffee.

Yes I have it, and I think it is great. Granted I haven't been "everywhere" with it yet. But what I have seen is really good, with one exception. Since this is Land Class, which I believe tells the sim where towns are at, I have one gripe. South East of KAPA there should be towns. Lots of them and decent size too. Yet there is no such thing. Hmmmm, interestingly enough Vector has put roundabouts in the correct locations, yet there is no town. Its a roundabout in a forest basically. Maybe I got something goofed, but I thought it humorous.

All that said I think that Open LC NA is defintly worth the purchase and install.

Brian

On August 29, 2016 at 0:22 AM, fltsimguy said:

I bought it instantly.  It is a superior product.  Well worth it for sure.

I am not totally convinced yet that OpenLC EU and NA and the migration haven't added extra demand on scenery processing.  I never had VAS OOM's but now I do, so I have had to play with all sorts of things to find a stable flying regime.

I still haven't installed mine and have had it for a week now. Still concerned about doing the migration and VAS/performance issues.

9 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I don't understand the hesitancy Gordon considering you have bought the product. Install it and see what it does. If you end up with problems then you can uninstall it and all should be back to where you were.

I agree with this.

I have found the sweet spot for my settings and now have a great flying experience again.  The landclass is superior quality along with the Orbx textures.  I will still say the the whole migration and unified landclass has added some VAS demand, but its manageable.

18 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

I don't understand the hesitancy Gordon considering you have bought the product. Install it and see what it does. If you end up with problems then you can uninstall it and all should be back to where you were.

Well I purchased the Canadien part because of the discount that would be offered when you got he whole NA package. I purchased NA the last day before the promotion expired.

Between all that time I started reading all the issues people had with migration that was required when you install NA and the associated VAS and FPS problems. I've been running FSX perfect since 2008 and never had an OOM or FPS issue, so now I am worried to install after all the issues I've read about.

Granted I paid the money and would be out the $55 or whatever it came to, but I'd gladly waste the money to not have problems. At least if I don't install I know I am safe, but will be limited in the future as all new purchases will require migration and library upgrades.

So that's where I stand now and will probably just shelve Open LC NA until I feel comfortable installing it or see less support topics talking about problems it has caused. I don't think uninstalling and reverting back to prior state is as easy as it sounds unless you back up the whole FSX install.

1 hour ago, GordonGekko said:

Well I purchased the Canadien part because of the discount that would be offered when you got he whole NA package. I purchased NA the last day before the promotion expired.

Between all that time I started reading all the issues people had with migration that was required when you install NA and the associated VAS and FPS problems. I've been running FSX perfect since 2008 and never had an OOM or FPS issue, so now I am worried to install after all the issues I've read about.

Granted I paid the money and would be out the $55 or whatever it came to, but I'd gladly waste the money to not have problems. At least if I don't install I know I am safe, but will be limited in the future as all new purchases will require migration and library upgrades.

So that's where I stand now and will probably just shelve Open LC NA until I feel comfortable installing it or see less support topics talking about problems it has caused. I don't think uninstalling and reverting back to prior state is as easy as it sounds unless you back up the whole FSX install.

If you purchase a seagate ssd ,they come with a free back up program and very easy to use.

Is there any reason why your not backing up now? its just that you seem super cautious so its kinda odd

Archived