LDDU Dubrovnik floating houses

Jon Clarke

Just installed the new LDDU and it looks great. I do have a slight problem with a small batch of floating houses at LAT N42 34.20 LON E18 14.43.

In LDDU I have ticked the Vector Compatibility box. I also ran the Vector AEC but no LDDU appears in enabled or disabled.

I am flying with Global and OLC EU. Mesh at my normal 2m. All other aspects seem OK to date. Your help appreciated.

LDDUfloatinghousesLATN4234.20LONE1814.43

Many thanks Misha and congratulations on a truly gorgeous addon. The problem has seemed to resolve itself although I had not intentionally done what you suggest. I did it by restarting the sim and switching to disable Vector compatibility. I will now go back and switch to enable the compatibility. All appears good now. Please tell me what the Vector compatibility does because i could not see any discernible difference with it enabled or disabled?

Misha your resolution to reload the scenery library works, but I keep having to do it each time I load up LDDU and start the flight. It means I am loading the flight twice to get the houses to stop floating. This is not correct is it? I can understand having to do it once or twice when I load up a flight at LDDU but not every time.

I don't remember seeing floating houses.  Are you starting with the default flight, then selecting LDDU, or saving an LDDU flight?  It might make a difference.

Also ORBX sceneries are designed to work with a resolution of 5 metres, not 2 metres.

I am in P3D v3.2. I choose the flight from the Scenario page. It is not a default flight, I choose airport and time & season and ai settings prior to loading. Regarding the 2m mesh setting, I think that the 2m setting I have as my default is not a problem and has been confirmed in other posts previously. It works fine for all sceneries although I do fully understand the 5m norm. My mesh setting doesn't change at all when I reload the Scenery Library but the houses do then end up on the ground and not floating. If 2m was the problem then they would still be floating would they not considering there was no change in my mesh setting?

I will try saving a non floating house LDDU flight and see if that works.

Mesh is a strange beast.  Autogen seems to 'remember' the mesh that it had accessed at the time the autogen loads, and if it loads another mesh after that, the autogen is left hanging.  As it always selects the highest resolution mesh, it's possible that some other mesh could be causing the problem.  Can you tell me the direction away from the airport that your houses are, i can't read the coords on your screenshot.  I'll go and have a look.

I went and had a look and yes it is the case that on loading P3D  the houses are floating.  I tried resetting the flight but no luck they were still floating.  So then I changed the mesh to 2m and they were stuck to the ground.  Went back to 5m and they stil stayed glued to terra firma.  Seems there's an anomaly with the mesh somewhere.

Same thing in FSX.

I renamed the mesh bgl to .OFF extension and the houses were on the ground, but some large ditches appeared.

I'll let the devs know this might need a tweak

Like Misha says, you could change a setting and reload the scenery. In my case i have experienced this problems when a scenery is in overflow, so for instance reducing the autogen density i have not experienced it anymore. My thought is that is something related to the memory, so lowering a bit the settings, the situation is fixed, at least in the tests i made til now. Mesh could be, but it's also sure that if you set to 2 mt instead of 5, performances decreases, you have more data to be processed, so it should be related to the memory again.

On 23.8.2016 at 1:24 PM, John Dow said:

I went and had a look and yes it is the case that on loading P3D  the houses are floating.  I tried resetting the flight but no luck they were still floating.  So then I changed the mesh to 2m and they were stuck to the ground.  Went back to 5m and they stil stayed glued to terra firma.  Seems there's an anomaly with the mesh somewhere.

Same thing in FSX.

I renamed the mesh bgl to .OFF extension and the houses were on the ground, but some large ditches appeared.

I'll let the devs know this might need a tweak

If you use Ultimate Mesh, check if there is a "DX_LDDU.bgl in your ../AFM/scenery folder

These "micro-meshs" are great for default sceneries but create trouble if the scenery brings it's own detailed mesh

Thanks data63. I use those files quite a lot where necessary but on this particular airport I don't think it is the correct solution. I base this on John Dow's findings when he took a closer look at the coordinates I gave him, and the fact that reloading the scenery library in my case rectifies the problem. It requires looking into by Misha and a fix offered.

Hello,
I wish I could give you a definitive solution but unfortunately there isn't one. It's a fundamental problem with the FSX code and some people may get it more often than others. I for one am not able to replicate the problem, so the only solution I can give you is to reload the scenery library when it does occur.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Cheers

I guess in normal operations the problem wouldn't be noticced.  I had done extensive looking around at inspection height during testing and I hadn't noticed these houses a few feet off the ground.  Given the situation i would say it's not something that should cause major stress for anyone flying into or doing standard patterns around the airport.

I agree about the not causing major stress. I am happy to reload the scenery in order to get it correct. I must say though that this is the first time ever I have seen this, and I do not fully understand how the reloading rectifies the problem. I would  have thought it would do it correctly at the initial loading. My opinion of course is based on the fact that I have never experienced this before although Misha states that this can happen (and does !!)

It's simply an oferflow, too many items on the ground, at a certain point houses remains lifted up. I told it at the beginning, then you are free to think what you want, it happens with my scenery too, the tecnique to create the scenery is different than before and it generates too many items that need to be rectified if you want to avoid the problem. Don't know if Misha used the same tecnique, but it seems the same problem. If you keep a lower autogen setting, it's more difficult that the problem is shown because a lower number of items is displayed. It doesn't depend on your pc, the simulator has a limit to show the items, 6000 for houses and 6000 for trees per grid. If the scenery overpass this limit, then you have the issue, even if it dispays less items than those annotated. Around an airport the issue is enhanced for sure because the total memory is used also by other items aside the autogen.

Some more depth added:

FSX/P3D render autogen at a fixed altitude, based on where the model intersects the highest point of the underlying mesh.

If the underlying mesh has not loaded enough levels of detail at the time of autogen rendering, its shape is inaccurate and the models may end up floating. This is more common in mountainous regions or those with sharp elevation contrast, Skagway in SAK has had this issue for years.

Reasons for why the mesh loading has not occurred fast enough are abound, but the fix is to reload the Scenery Library around "floaters". Reloading the library dumps several terrain and scenery elements and re-renders them. 

Many thanks for the recent replies. 

Maurizio you sounded a bit annoyed with the "you are free to think what you want" statement. I was not intending to cause any frustration. I apologise if I did.

Alex, many thanks for the detailed whys and therefores explanation. It was exactly what I was looking for and I now fully understand the whole process. That was what I was looking for as a reply. Unfortunately I am the type of person who is looking for that kind of answer to a question !

John, a good idea maybe? Get working on your theory and I will volunteer to test it !!

If you found the reply you were looking for, i am not annoyed :) The important is that you enjoy your simulator and by consequence the addons in the best way. By my point of view a refresh while in flight is not in line with a flight simulator where there should be a continuum, but it's only my personal opinion. About my scenery, yes, i am annoyed because i have never experienced an issue like this before, neither using my old rig that has 2 GB of memory and i have Always used custom mesh for my sceneries. So, probably something changed.

Archived