OpenLC NA not accurate at all in my area.

j0nx

Hi, I just bought OpenLC NA and Vector lastnight and installed them and am not getting any accuracy at all in my area of KHEF Manassas, Va. I had already been running FTX Global with FSG landclass and was pretty happy with it and it was fairly close in accuracy but decided to give Open LC a try to see if it would get it even better still. Now everything west and north of KHEF is covered in trees and is not accurate at all. Many of the housing developments that were there with just Global and FSG are now gone too. I opened google maps and it shows what the area should look like and there are no dense tree covered areas for miles and miles in the Northern Virginia area outside DC as you can imagine like what I get with OpenLC. What exactly is Open LC supposed to be doing? Maybe I'm confused as to what it does and am way off base? Vector seems to be adding roads from what I can see but even then I'm not entirely sure it's adding much more than what was there before because it's very subtle? Everything shows up fine in FTX Central 2 so I'm pretty sure it's installed ok. It just doesn't seem to be doing anything accurate. Any ideas?

Look in your scenery library.  You should have 3 entries for OLC NA.  OLC NA 1, OLC NA 2, & OLC NA Night Lighting.  I live just north of Dulles in Ashburn. and I find it to be quite accurate up by me.  Haven't really looked down by Manassas yet.

Regards,

Rob

I don't see major differences around KHEF on my side, compared to what I see in GE. In any case, you should post a pic or two with their coordinates (the red letters up left) of places you feel being wrong. That would help to assess whether your install is OK.

In the meantime, check that your FSG landclass is deactivated (quite an old addon :) btw, I've had it since Fs2k2 I guess !). Also be sure that the priority order iin the scenery library s respected : non-OrbX 3rd party addons on top, then OrbX airports and regions, then OLC NA then Vector (just above the xxxbase files) and that the insertion are set (see manual). Last, confirm that you did the OrbX migration process with no error at the end. 

Hmm I see the vector addons in scenery and see an entry called na olc lights but no olc na or na1 etc in there. I really don't know anything about insertion point or anything or a migration process either whatever that is. The central 2 shows that everything is installed. My order # is 0511263 BTW.

Holy moly I just manually added the missing areas into scenery and now THAT is what I'm talking about! Totally accurate now. Thanks

Kordat! The question is why did the install of OpenLC NA get so botched? There were no errors during the install and it appeared to go like it should but it only added the lc lights folder into scenery and nothing else. Any ideas on why it got so botched?

jOnx,

Rob, post is not saying there should be an entry named "OLC NA".  Actually he's saying that there should be entries named:

1) ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1

2) ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA2

As for the third file 'OLC NA Night Lighting' I do not show this file in my FSX Scenery Library.  Perhaps that is a P3D function??

Hi guys,

the night lighting entry is actually named "FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS" and contains the new lighting system for both FSX and P3D. Since we wanted those to work also within any FTX NA Region a user may have installed it's named so that it's automatically positioned in the FTX block of entries just above all the NA Regions.

j0nx, not sure why the entries weren't automatically added; usually that happens when one starts FTX Central but perhaps your scenery.cfg file was write-protected at that time.

Cheers, Holger

Well what Im saying is there was no entries anywhere in my scenery area except one for FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS. I manually added the ones for the rest of the LC areas and everything looks great now. I did start ftx central at some point and it said it couldnt find fsx. I then started ftx central 2. I'm wondering if I should remove those manual entries to the eu and na areas that I added that were missing and then just reinstall openlc?

21 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

the night lighting entry is actually named "FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS" and contains the new lighting system for both FSX and P3D. Since we wanted those to work also within any FTX NA Region a user may have installed it's named so that it's automatically positioned in the FTX block of entries just above all the NA Regions.

j0nx, not sure why the entries weren't automatically added; usually that happens when one starts FTX Central but perhaps your scenery.cfg file was write-protected at that time.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger,

I do have the lights entry and it is placed just above the NA Regions in the FSX Scenery Library.

22 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger

FYI, the OLC NA installer placed the LIGHTS just below the last region that I purchased a couple of weeks before (Scotland). I moved it a notch up but the installer has a small flaw 

Hi Dominique,

not sure what you mean by "small flaw"? The installer itself doesn't sort the entries, it's FTX central that does it and it's strictly alphanumerical for the entire FTX block. Since the NA Regions reside underneath the EU Regions alphabetically that placement is entirely correct. As in:

FTX_EU_

FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS

FTX_NA_

Moving the entry around manually doesn't make sense anyway since it will be re-sorted into the intended order next time you run FTX Central.

@ j0nx: it's not really necessary to uninstall and reinstall. However, if you want to make sure all entries are present and in the correct order you can navigate to \ORBX\Scripts, right-click on FTXConfigurator.exe, and select Run as Administrator. That will trigger the module that checks all Orbx scenery library entries; it's a silent operation meaning you won't see anything happening other than perhaps a brief flash of a DOS window.

Cheers, Holger

On 8/13/2016 at 8:59 AM, j0nx said:

Hi, I just bought OpenLC NA and Vector lastnight and installed them and am not getting any accuracy at all in my area of KHEF Manassas, Va. I had already been running FTX Global with FSG landclass and was pretty happy with it and it was fairly close in accuracy but decided to give Open LC a try to see if it would get it even better still. Now everything west and north of KHEF is covered in trees and is not accurate at all. Many of the housing developments that were there with just Global and FSG are now gone too. I opened google maps and it shows what the area should look like and there are no dense tree covered areas for miles and miles in the Northern Virginia area outside DC as you can imagine like what I get with OpenLC. What exactly is Open LC supposed to be doing? Maybe I'm confused as to what it does and am way off base? Vector seems to be adding roads from what I can see but even then I'm not entirely sure it's adding much more than what was there before because it's very subtle? Everything shows up fine in FTX Central 2 so I'm pretty sure it's installed ok. It just doesn't seem to be doing anything accurate. Any ideas?

So going back to the original topic, I live here in Phoenix, and I am also not getting anything accurate at all. Here is what my current PHX area looks like. This was taken on a fresh install of fsx steam, no other landclass or mesh addons installed, just flightbeam PHX scenery. In real life, the surroundings of the airport is all major city, no farms or fields at all. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? All areas appear to be installed in the correct order in FTX central.2016-8-13_17-18-27-82.jpg

15 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Dominique,

those lights are shipped with openLC North America and limited to its coverage area, hence the title "FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS" and the placement above the block of entries for the North American FTX Regions.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks

Thanks Holger, I have yet to try that script because it looks so good now I'm scared to mess it up. The script must not have run correctly after installing OpenLC but after I added the entries manually it is dead nuts accurate now to google maps. All the major roads are there now after vector too. It's truly transformed this old sim that I had all but shelved for DCS. Flying in my NoVa area now is totally accurate and runs great on my rig. I'll try running the script on my test pc to see how it works first before I try it on my VR rig. Thanks all for just a great product.

Archived