OLC NA OOM with P3D

I was flying into FSDT JFK after a 15 hour flight from HKG and just passing over LGA, FSUIPC starting the OOM warning. I lowered all my settings to zero and I still OOMed. Given I was using the PMDG 777, but I can fly and have flown into JFK and much bigger VAS intensive airports before this. I've been doing some testing and I concluded OLC NA is just chowing down like it's Thanksgiving on my VAS. This is the 2nd OOM I have had a 3 days. First was with the Aerosoft 321 at FSDT LAX and I OOMed. Never OOMed at LAX in P3D let alone the 321 in FSX or P3D. I might aswell be just flying with FSX if I'm gonna OOM like that.

I thought about uninstalling OLC NA and just using Canada and Alaska.

FSS0506559 

I assume you included, if active, reducing your ai traffic down to a max of 1%? With all the associated autogen buildings and the large amount of heavily used airports within 100 miles of JFK, your system will be under stress, especially also considering flying a tubeliner and all it's sophisticated details like the PMDG 777

Fly with autogen set to normal. I was doing lot of hops from add on airports with fsx steam and 737 ngx on dx10 and I don't get above 2.6 gb (1.4 left). Both fsx steam and dx10 have vas management on p3d levels. 

Now I do understand 777 is more heavy on vas plus you have p3d which has some more fancy effects and on top of that you fly to heaviest scenery in flight simming world but this may be good starting point. Also don't go crazy with LOD radius. If both won't help then reduce road traffic and ultimately Ai traffic if all else fails. 

I have created a similar thread because I am suddenly experiencing OOMs after the USA LC upgrade.  The OP point is BEFORE the upgrade he never had any issues.  So all the suggestions about reducing sliders after the upgrade is a moot point.  An Official response from ORBX about the vas usage of USA Open LC would be more appropriate.

Good to know I am not the only one... I flew into JFK with the T7 from Dubai last week. I had one ding when I was pulling into the gate, but really nothing major. Left the plane cold and dark, departed the next morning back to FlyTampa Dubai without a hitch lol

I fly the PMDG NGX 737 most of the time and have experienced OOMs as well.  I made the following changes and it seemed to help.  I lowered the LOD to 4.5.  I went into the Scenery Library and unchecked all the ORBX fat regions and airports except for global airports.  I simply turn them back on if I want to fly low.  I have found that ASN heavy weather will also cause problems in the high traffic areas such as KSFO and KLAX.  I take all of that into account when I am flying and adjust as needed.  It saves me a lot of frustration by occasionally saving my flight during the course of the flight just in case.   If I suspect that the weather, traffic and other factors are going to diminish my memory I will save my flight near the end of the flight, exit and re-enter the flight just to be safe.  PMDG restores the complete setup of your plane.  I'm not sure all manufacturers do that.  I have found my flight plans gone on some aircraft so it doesn't work for all.

I don't think there is one easy fix for all the factors that save OOM issues so I try to plan ahead just to be safe.  It is very frustrating to fly a long route and then crash at the end of it. 

Just my 2 cents and I hope this helps.  Happy flying! 

I have also noticed a significant FPS drop Just flew into FSDT DFW with the 777 and that scenery is usually quite FPS friendly, but instead of my manageable 20 or so FPS, I was getting 5-9 on short final. and 5 at the gate. Again I tried lowering the settings but nothing really helped. As I was turning into my gate, the textures were laggy and it was actually making me dizzy.

I am done with OLC NA. I would like to uninstall it.

• 4 weeks later...

You can disable them by unticking one or the other in your Scenery Library. That way you can have OLC EU enabled when you fly in Europe and NA disabled or OLC NA enabled and EU disabled when you fly in NA.

Also for your info if you have any Full Fat regions installed and maybe Vector as well, then you can disable the OLC and Vector when taking a flight in a Full Fat Region. This will reduce your OOM likelihood.

I just finished a full reinstall of P3D with all addons one by one and tested VAS usage around KEWR/New York area. When I finally got to openLC/migration I noticed VAS would slowly tank and never be recuperated. It was fine with just Global and all the payware airports. Even lowering autogen doesn't make a difference, memory still leaks away. It is absolutely something to do with Orbx openLC or the migration. Very disappointed with OpenLC on the performance front. 

If you are seeing OOM, best option is just to set FSUIPC save your flight and somewhere in the middle of your flight - close the sim and restart the save flight.  You will have an OOM free experience.  Trust me this is the best option - let FSUIPC save the flight automatically (you can set the number of intervals and number of saved files to keep etc).  For example before arrival to NY area, your sim will save the file and all you have to do is restart sim and just load that saved file.  You will have tons of VAS free and will be able to enjoy the area for further flying.  We all are plagued by 32 bit simulator design for the time being.

But I am not seeing OOM and if I fly from FB KIAD to FSDT KJFK installed on top of global/vector/openlc_NA with tons of regions and payware sceneries installed.  I am able to land with pmdg 777.  And top of that using VR which even consumes over 500MB of VAS.  For the past 2 months (and in the past) - I always do insane VAS tests to the sim.  Now with VR, I am testing the heck out of the sim's limits.

Though my LOD is set to 3.5 and no AI for the time being.  There are just number of settings.  Recommend to read Rob's AVSIM official p3d setup guide.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:17 PM, Airwolf said:

If you are seeing OOM, best option is just to set FSUIPC save your flight and somewhere in the middle of your flight - close the sim and restart the save flight.  You will have an OOM free experience.  Trust me this is the best option - let FSUIPC save the flight automatically (you can set the number of intervals and number of saved files to keep etc).  For example before arrival to NY area, your sim will save the file and all you have to do is restart sim and just load that saved file.  You will have tons of VAS free and will be able to enjoy the area for further flying.  We all are plagued by 32 bit simulator design for the time being.

But I am not seeing OOM and if I fly from FB KIAD to FSDT KJFK installed on top of global/vector/openlc_NA with tons of regions and payware sceneries installed.  I am able to land with pmdg 777.  And top of that using VR which even consumes over 500MB of VAS.  For the past 2 months (and in the past) - I always do insane VAS tests to the sim.  Now with VR, I am testing the heck out of the sim's limits.

Though my LOD is set to 3.5 and no AI for the time being.  There are just number of settings.  Recommend to read Rob's AVSIM official p3d setup guide.

Thanks Wolf. Great explanation, i'll definitely give this a try.

Archived