Damn Wrappers.....

Triplane

27 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

depends on where  you are  I guess  the further  away from the server  you are  the longer  it  takes

You guess is wrong I suppose, Peter :). I am almost at the antipode of FSS with a slow and not so reliable connexion and never had any problem. The unwrapping is always swift. The issue is most probably with the unwrapping computer.

It's certainly a known issue as it is included on the FSS website FAQs. Not related to hardware capabilities nor connection. When I first installed ORBX product into P3D version 1 I think it was, I never saw this freezing of the unwrapping process but since my first reinstallation of the sim platform I see this event every single time. For me the wait is around 45 minutes. Clearly, this phenomenon  will no longer be present when we move over to FTX Direct.

Indeed, it's a known issue and has been for a while now. I know the team here has tried to pin down the cause but it's just one of those crazy things that probably won't ever be solved. I had the same problem a while back and then it went away. Now it's come back - but only with ESSA this time. It's the it-only-happens-sometimes-and that's-not-very-often-and-not-to-everyone that's stopped anyone from finding out what the problem is.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant a bit. It was a tough night last night as I had to reinstall everything for both FSX and P3D because of a Dumb-User-Error while setting up a dual-boot.

Doug

I'm in Norway and have never experienced more than a few seconds on the wrapper. At most 45 to 60 seconds... '

But the new Orbx-store is welcome anyway - the hunting in my email for the registrations and dates whenever I need to reinstall something (moving to P3D v3, for example) is tedious. Also the hunting for the updates in my looong account history at FlighsimStore is a pain... :-)

All the time spent tinkering is time lost from flying. :-)

4 hours ago, Euan Emblin said:

Clearly, this phenomenon  will no longer be present when we move over to FTX Direct.

"Clearly" is a big word that, at 67 yo, I tend to shy away :lol:. The issue with the wrapper seems related to the authorization process of the OS, browser or unzipping software in the user computer.  I wouldn't bet that it won't appear in some computers with the Steam-like  new OrbXDirect, wrapper or not. As the migration has shown, Murphy law still rules the day. I understand that OrbX will prudently beta the process with users for this very reason. 

17 hours ago, Medtner said:

But the new Orbx-store is welcome anyway - the hunting in my email for the registrations and dates whenever I need to reinstall something (moving to P3D v3, for example) is tedious. Also the hunting for the updates in my looong account history at FlighsimStore is a pain... :-)

I keep all my registration keys in 1Password encrypted vault. There are several other similar products where you can easily organise and retrieve codes

Archived