PILOTS Ultimate elevation issue tips

Jon Clarke

I know this is not an ORBX product but I have found an interesting resolution to those elevation issues that can occur in P3D for users of Ultimate.

The disks don't allow installation of the Aerodrome Flattening Meshes (AFM) facility into P3D as it is designed for FSX. However if you have a copy of FSX you can install the programme. I did that and moved the file to a storage disk. I have today decided to fly from KBIL and KDEN in P3D. I noticed especially at KBIL that I was sunk down too far at the airport. I had already run the Vector AEC and enabled KBIL and disabled to no avail. I then opened AFM file and found DX_KBIL and put a copy of it into the Pilots Software\Scenery folder. Everything was then great at KBIL. I did the same when I went to KDEN (Denver). The airport as I flew away, was on a plateau. Went to my AFM_FSX folder and found DX_KDEN, put that into the Pilots Sofware folder in my P3D directory and again it was now all flat where there had been a plateau. These fixes from the AFM folder are far better than just trying to alleviate the airport elevation problems via the Vector AEC tool, IF you are using Ultimate in P3D.

Further to my original post, I can now say that this is proving to be invaluable in rectifying elevation issues for those of us with Ultimate.

I can also confirm that as long as you got the AFM disk in one of your Ultimate DVDs then all you need to do is Open the AFM disk. You do not need FSX. If you autorun the DVD it will ask you which version of MSFS you wan to install into. So, if you don't have any MSFS availalable it will not proceed. Just use the right click Open option to see the contents. Then just copy somewhere on one of your HDDs the file AFM_FSX. It is just over 4GB in content so be aware. I could show plenty of pics showing the results of the removal of plateaus etc but I submit one of Colorado Springs default with Ultimate at 2m resolution, and one after dropping the AFM bgl into Pilots Software in the P3D directory. I am finding it is resolving all issues to date with elevation problems that tend to appear in Global or non fat areas of the world. I am currently in Colorado in the sim as it is generally a mountainous area so I would have anticipated potential airport elevation conflicts. I was not wrong ! So far this morning I have flattened KBKF,KASE and KCOS, all with great results. I am hoping this will resolve 90% + of the problems in Global areas.

The resolved issues did not involve any use of Vector AEC.

After AFM. Cliffs and plateau gone.

ColoradoSpringswithFlatteningbgl.jpg

Before AFM. Note the cliffs and plateau.

ColoradoSpringsdefault.jpg

Archived