Yellow fields in Germany? Global

aujeffk

What are the yellow fields scattered all throughout western Germany in FTX Global?  Nice flight into Bitburg (although Bitburg was dead)...nice approach and beautiful scenery.

Just don't know what those yellow fields are????

2 hours ago, mcdonar said:

I believe that in the USA rapeseed is referred to as canola (Brassica napus).

I was under the impression that only the oil of the rape seed is called "Canola" (instead of "rape oil", understandably), kinda like "Mazola" is for corn oil. The ending of the words seem to be derived from Latin "oleum", or so I thought. Was I wrong all the time?

Thank you VERY much for the clarification.  Like many others my brain's first reaction was to take the second post in this thread literally.  

It will be interesting to see if they change with the seasons - are they yellow just in Spring/Summer?

10 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

Canola is a derivative of rapeseed developed in Canada. It is less acidic than natural rapeseed and produces better oil. It is the main oil seed crop here but not sure about the rest of the world.

Larry

The Canadian 00-hybrid is also widely used in Europe as it's considered the only edible version. When the German Institute of Health recommended Canola for its optimal Omega-3 to -6 ratio the demand exploded here. But that is not the reason for the enormous abundance of rapeseed fields across Europe, it's because it is the crop of choice for biofuels and as such heavily subsidized.

Archived