Advice for add-on compatibility and quality, Steam DLC's

What add-on to buy?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What add on would you get off the Steam DLC Store to go with Global Base, Vector, and Canada/alaska & EU Global upgrades and treeHD all from FTX?

• Skychaser
    • Paper Aztec
    • Cargo crew
    • Arctic Rescue
    • Rex Texture Direct 4
    • Active Sky Next
    • F-16 Fighting Falcon
    • Embraer E-Jets 175/195
    • Accu-Feel
    • Battle of Britain: Spitfire
    • Greenland Nuuk

I got a 25% off coupon for the following titles from steam and wondered if anyone could recommend any over another and also was curious if they would be compatible with Base,Vector, Canada/alaska OpenLC and EU Open.... and TreesHD which I own, as far as I know every global product offered....

I already have the "Around the wourld in 80 flights" and the lights redux add on

Anything I should grab and why do you recommend it! Love my orbx Global products!!!

list of title i have a coupon for:

Skychaser

Piper Aztec

Around the World in 80 Flights

Cargo Crew

Arctic Rescue

REX Texture Direct 4

Active Sky Next

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Embraer E-Jets 175/195

Accu-Feel

Battle of Britain: Spitfire

3D Lights Redux

Greenland Nuuk

Of that list, ASN for sure.  It provides very convincing weather which adds major immersion to the sim.  I don't know if there's a specific Steam version, but the regular version is a fairly straight-forward install and setup.

Or do both!  I'm on P3D so can't vouch for the StephensDX10, though I've heard it well recommended.  But if you have a discount voucher for the above products, then it would be a good opportunity to get ASN anyway.  OTOH sales come round reasonably regularly anyway.

50 minutes ago, jabble said:

Of that list, ASN for sure.  It provides very convincing weather which adds major immersion to the sim.  I don't know if there's a specific Steam version, but the regular version is a fairly straight-forward install and setup.

There are two specific differences:

1) The ASN "Steam Edition" version supports only FSX:SE on Steam.  It does not support Prepar3D, FSX Boxed, or any other simulator platforms/versions.

2) Due to Steam platform requirements, networked support is not available, so this must run on the same machine as Steam/FSX:SE.

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, GrumpyOldGamer said:

OTOH?!?

On The Other Hand!  The major flightsim vendors usually have some of their wares on sale at any one time, and ASN is one that comes around regularly.  Flightsimstore, Simmarket, PCAviator, etc.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOldGamer said:

Nick, this is not the Steam version correct?

No it is not : the Steam version as DLC only works with the Steam Version of FSX and does not support network support

ASNext from Hifi works with all flightsimulators : FSX boxed, FSX Steam, P3d...

1 hour ago, Penzoil3 said:

It injects real weather into the sim and updates itself in real time.

And there are a plethora of settings you can choose within ASN.  One of them is the length of time you want between those automatic weather injection updates to happen (default setting is every 15 minutes I think).  Another one (which is unrealistic to real world flying, but still available for sim flying) is to prevent new weather updates from happening once you get close to your destination airport.  No surprise drastic wind or weather changes happening on approach to the runway, etc.

Archived