Can't Launch a Flight from Friday Harbour

PaulSB

Hello,

I use FSX Steam Edition on Windows 10.  I installed Friday Harbour a couple of days ago.  I installed it as administrator, with the region set to North America, then ran the airport elevation corrections and Orbxlibs, as always.  When I tried to launch the first flight from Friday Harbour, the 'loading terrain data' progress bar got part way through then stopped.  I tried re-starting the PC and after doing so twice, I was able to launch the flight.  However, now when I click on 'Fly Now' the progress bar reaches 6% and then stops, but re-starts have no effect.  Other airports are unaffected and I can launch flights as normal.  Any help gratefully received.

Paul

The progress bar stopping for a relatively long time at 6% is not unusual - on my machine it can sit at 6% for several minutes if it's the first time I start the sim that day. Try letting it sit there for a while before you abort.

Cheers

Jack

Also consider that for some reason Friday Harbor is notoriously slow at loading. I have P3D on SSD and my usual time for loading is a max of 3.5 minutes for North America as i have many addons in that region. Loading a flight from Friday Harbor can take my system upto 7 minutes. Hence i don't really fly there anymore. life is too short !

Hi both of you,

Wow! you're right.  I just tried it again and it loaded after a little over 6.5 minutes.  With a lot of scenery it usually takes about 1 minute to load anywhere else, but I thought I had waited long enough when I aborted after waiting for 4 minutes.  I think I will enjoiy the lovely Friday Harbour scenery by flying over it and landing on it, after taking off from somewhere else.  Thanks very much for your advice.

Regards,

Paul

Just this last week I've noticed something strange that may be relevant.  I was loading up flights at the new KBHB and if I went into the start screen and selected the plane the airport etc it would load inside a minute.  But... if after I exited and went back in to the last saved flight (supposedly to save time in choice of flight parameters) it would take up to 5 minutes to load.

So, maybe you could do some tests starting from the default MS flight and also from the menu selection screen and then saved flights and see if you experience the same weird behaviour...

Here's another thought; recently I've experienced intermittent excessive loading times with P3D (2 to 3 times normal) something new yet I had made no significant changes.   The key to finding the cause was (still is!) using Process Explorer  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer   It turned out that for reasons unexplained my antivirus program was accounting for 50% or more of CPU usage during loading. Finding the right options in my AV to prevent this was not at all obvious, but once done, loading times returned to normal. And Process Explorer then showed that the AV was barely using the CPU, confirming it's usefulness I think.

Hi John and Larry,

Thanks for your further comments.  Fortunately, as you will have seen, the problem was resolved by patience while I waited 6.5 minutes for Friday Harbour to launch.  However, I will take a look at your suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

Hi John and Larry,

Thanks for your further comments.  Fortunately, as you will have seen, the problem was resolved by patience while I waited 6.5 minutes for Friday Harbour to launch.  However, I will take a look at your suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my sceneries used to hang at %6 and take 5-6 mins to load, like you. The game changer for me was moving my sim and all related FSX stuff to an SSD. Now 5-10 secs is the norm. Huge difference.

jsapair

Archived