New adventure in flying

aero-3fsx

By now with all the tech media & simming news on VR recently, some of you maybe on the fence about trying VR to see what all the hype is about

Undoubtedly most of you have heart of Froogle sim news and a recent video caught my attention

Please go and watch it to get a good review on what you might be missing out on

With so much dust in the air so to say, with new development for VR I think things will develop quickly as simulation software updates to take advantage of new VR possibilites and the new graphics cards that are being released. I believe we will see some nice improvements over the next year in many sims.

The CEO of Take Two which among other titles owns Grand Theft Auto, is also very sceptical of VR

Its important to have the facts about a topic to properly assess it

John Venema, CEO of OrbX is very positive towards VR

10 hours ago, John Dow said:

RFesolution is the killer for me until there's at least 2560 x 1440 available I'll stick with the screen

I really thought I'd feel that way, as well...  I was perched on the precipice of choosing between going with a 4K monitor in the 50-inch range, or plunging into the Rift.  Retrospectively, I couldn't be happier that I chose VR.  

Even still using merely the DK2 (as of this writing, my CV1 is within 100 miles of me, and arrives TOMORROW!!!! <happy dance>), I've found I couldn't have been more wrong in that concern.  Sure the resolution and screen door effect annoyed me -- for like, five minutes.  Then I was so completely lost in the immersion I couldn't have cared less!  Someone has said that with a flat screen (or three, etc...), you get a sense of what flying is like.  But with VR, you ARE THERE!  That has been my experience!

Yes, there are moments when I NEED more resolution.  Thanks to the useful benefit of "Binocular Zoom", it's easy to overcome that shortcoming in those rather few moments when it really matters.  But the overall feeling of "being there" is just so overwhelming, that there is no way that even 8K at 120 FPS could ever tempt me away from VR again.  I can't imagine flying without it.

I have a 32" 4K monitor and am very pleased with it. When my Rift arrives I will try using it for more than flight but for normal internet & email I will use my monitor. For increased resolution in VR you may have to wait till 2018 and be missing out on a lot in the meantime. The current VR generation is not much different from a 28" standard monitor. You quickly ignore it and as Drizzle said above, the immersion more than compensates for any lack of resolution.

Archived