A2A P-51civ. in the OrbX American Samoa

dominique

After countless screenshots over 37 years of simming, I made my first video of a flight ! At 67 yo, it was high time :D ... I tried my best to be reasonably short (7' 30") but keep the beauty of Tim and Ken's scenery and the thrill of a P-51 flight. I see now all I should have done better but there is a time where you have to wrap things up and publish, I suppose. Constructive criticism (flight or video editing) much more welcome than any compliment ;). Better in HD, of course.

The graphics are superb for sure. Tropicana feeling!

Just for the video editing now, not the audio: At the beginning you could have removed at least a minute of footage, where the plane is just parking.

Naturally, complete flight take longer than only departure or landing. All in all, a glorious movie!

51 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

The graphics are superb for sure. Tropicana feeling!

Just for the video editing now, not the audio: At the beginning you could have removed at least a minute of footage, where the plane is just parking.

Naturally, complete flight take longer than only departure or landing. All in all, a glorious movie!

Thanks. You're right, I've to contract the intro in a next video but I still want to keep the engine startup sequence.  I'll find a way ! I've to polish a little bit the transitions too but the wretched replay function does not keep gear and flap positions as you know which makes it difficult !

Thanks guys.

27 minutes ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

You were barely off the runway when you switched to outside view, but your wheels were already up. You hadn't had the time to retract them. Filming in replay mode?

Indeed Bruce, driving the Mustang from the outside is a good way to die :). Full steam, you barely have the room to take off and the runway is narrow. So replay it is  in the outside views and as the replay function doesn't keep the gear and flaps positions, the transition timing and angle of filming is a little tricky. I should have started the outside view a tad later in the climb. Learning curve...

Great video Dom!

If I would consider making a video I would get some custom camera views (ezdok etc), and keep it about 2-3 minutes long, but to be honest I tried making one once and....well ... its really hard :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Tim Harris said:

Great video Dom!

If I would consider making a video I would get some custom camera views (ezdok etc), and keep it about 2-3 minutes long, but to be honest I tried making one once and....well ... its really hard :unsure:

Thanks for your comments, Tim. Couldn't do wrong with Pago anyway, could I ?  A2A aircraft and your Experience packages make a great cocktail . On my small forum, almost all my PIREPs are shot in one of them so far

EZDOK : I hear you, maybe I should but, right or wrong,I belong to the KISS school, I tend to shy away from any utility, as good as it is, which could a source of headache (been there, done that so many times) like FSUIPC, EZdoc etc. Now, there is, in P3D, a functionality which intrigues me  "edit a custom camera" .  I've to look into it.

Duration : 2/3' is good for a promo but when I was still professionally active and too busy to sim (or once nailed on an hospital bed for weeks...) my favorites were long screenshot threads/videos which make me/you share a whole flight from start to finish. Now you gotta be reasonable indeed ;) but on that particular flight, I went from something like 60 minutes of Shadowplay recordings to 7'30". I could have shortened the intro and be down to 7 but if you show the startup sequence, the takeoff, some good views of the scenery and the landing you can't make it in 2', IMHO. And I've not yet used the avatar to walk a scenery ! 

Anyway, looking forward to your next Pacific island !

16 hours ago, raymondgoubet said:

Pour une premiere video, elle est pas mal du tout. Garde les sequences de demarrage, car sans cela il n'y a pas de vol. :)

Merci, c'est bien mon intention ;), démarrer un avion de chez A2A, Sibwings ou Lotusim c'est un bonne part du plaisir du vol.!

Gorgeous resolution, stunning scenery .... people live there?  I mean ..... no Internet, no Costco ....:blink:  I like the entire sequence, it lends to making a complete story.  Seeing you start the P51 makes me want to give it a try in the correct way .. that's good.  A slight mismatch in the landing sequence where the scene switch takes you to an earlier point ... nothing to take away from the vid though. Flying over the villages and and viewing I might have given it an extra second ... because people like me are seeing it for the first time and checking out the details. It takes 6+ minutes to tell a story so I have no problem with lengthy videos upto a point (maybe around 10 minutes?)  as long as I'm seeing different scenes to keep the interest up .. which you did. Like the view of the village, the view over the larger island, But you people on the go are more busy than people our age ... so I understand when they only have a limited amount of viewing time for this great hobby.  Let's see more of your flights? Nice job indeed ... even though you wanted more constructive criticism. :) 

48 minutes ago, jlindblo said:

Gorgeous resolution, stunning scenery .... people live there?  I mean ..... no Internet, no Costco ....:blink:  I like the entire sequence, it lends to making a complete story.  Seeing you start the P51 makes me want to give it a try in the correct way .. that's good.  A slight mismatch in the landing sequence where the scene switch takes you to an earlier point ... nothing to take away from the vid though. Flying over the villages and and viewing I might have given it an extra second ... because people like me are seeing it for the first time and checking out the details. It takes 6+ minutes to tell a story so I have no problem with lengthy videos upto a point (maybe around 10 minutes?)  as long as I'm seeing different scenes to keep the interest up .. which you did. Like the view of the village, the view over the larger island, But you people on the go are more busy than people our age ... so I understand when they only have a limited amount of viewing time for this great hobby.  Let's see more of your flights? Nice job indeed ... even though you wanted more constructive criticism. :) 

Thank you very much for taking the time to dissect my first video and commenting !

- a story is what I want to see so this is what I shoot.  I do the same for screenshots, go to my site (see my signature)  and have a look at the subforum about PIREPs, long threads telling a flight !  Glad that I am not alone here.

- Do try the whole startup sequence . Did you hear me saying "piece of cake', this was not premeditated, I was just relieved, after a few days flooding my engine after a recent update of Accusim. You don't get that sense of accomplishment with control E :)

- There is indeed a awkward mismatch in the editing before touchdown. I first thought it acceptable but after the video went online I was not so happy.

- I hear you about spending more time on Ofu village or Ta'u.  I wanted to stay below 7'30' and I shaved seconds everywhere. I keep that in mind.

Now I see that you uploaded a new link to your own video, let me have a look...

Blows my first video attempt away. Nice job. Lots of good comments above. I'd like to add, I like to see a bit more of the panel while in VC view. Maybe push the zoom back a notch or two to allow a better view around. I like to show the "pax" the instruments from time to time...we all like to Back Seat Drive a bit. :D

Cheers.

Matt.

3 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

Blows my first video attempt away. Nice job. Lots of good comments above. I'd like to add, I like to see a bit more of the panel while in VC view. Maybe push the zoom back a notch or two to allow a better view around. I like to show the "pax" the instruments from time to time...we all like to Back Seat Drive a bit. :D

Cheers.

Matt.

Thanks Matt. I am not very fond of zoomed out VC views on one side but I agree that  glances to the instruments from time to time would have been welcome for the immersion feeling. Actually I deleted some to keep the 7'30" max goal I had. I will work on your idea in my next video.

Now, squeezing a pax in the 51 would be quite a task. My cat maybe :lol: .

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it, every bit, I could have watched more, so much time is spent adding points of interest to sceneriesto add to the immersion and so rarely do the video makers have time to capture them.

I think as you did by capturing an hours worth and condensing it down works well, maybe there were some very minor things that could have been improved on but for your first video I think your future videos will just keep getting better, your love of flying comes through from the cold start to the angles you filmed, please do more.

thanks for sharing this

cheers

Ken

Hi Dominique, I just saw your video, I like it so much. I also like to make videos and also I've made a lot of mistakes.
By my point of view, the forewords are too extenses, consider also no forewords at all. Focus the video to the scenery, or the plane or the flight procedures. Then, by example if you try to remark the scenery don't need to show the start procedures, etc. also mainly outside views for the scenery.
By other hand, when I record flights, I made the video from the playback, and during the playback I manage the flaps, undercarriage etc, at the appropiate moment. I use Shadowplay to record.

Some videos I was made live with shadowplay inside the cockpit.

Congrats & kind regards,

Jorge.

10 hours ago, Jorge Bach said:

Hi Dominique, I just saw your video, I like it so much. I also like to make videos and also I've made a lot of mistakes.
By my point of view, the forewords are too extenses, consider also no forewords at all. Focus the video to the scenery, or the plane or the flight procedures. Then, by example if you try to remark the scenery don't need to show the start procedures, etc. also mainly outside views for the scenery.
By other hand, when I record flights, I made the video from the playback, and during the playback I manage the flaps, undercarriage etc, at the appropiate moment. I use Shadowplay to record.

Some videos I was made live with shadowplay inside the cockpit.

Congrats & kind regards,

Jorge.

Thank you very much, Jorge, for taking the time to write your thought provoking comments, I appreciate that. Thought provoking  for me because your ideas of  what a video should be are a little different from mine. As I explain elsewhere, when I was not able to sim in the past years, I always enjoyed videos or long screenshot threads narrating a whole flight. So should I do videos for me or for the viewer :) ?!

The forewords were too long indeed but, when watching other videos, I often miss a short personalized introduction for instance, getting you into the subject. And I like to get a full idea of the flight rather than a focus on scenery or aircraft (except for reviews or tutorials of course). But, sure enough, I have to find a better balance between all the parts.

I do use live and replay too but some aircraft don't work well with replay  (or I miss something !). It is not universal. The L-39 for instance reset gear/flaps before the replay.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived