Texture morphing causes?

Jon Clarke

I have been flying in Global recently in order to view the rest of the world and the quality of Global/Vector/OLC. I am finding that there are numerous airports that suffer from texture morphing in my installation especially alongside runways. I will only mention 4th February (Luanda) as an example but it illustrates the general theme of my problems. I am sat on runway 5 and all appears good during the length of runway i travel to take off. The other end of the runway is 23 and a whole different story. If i start down the runway for about the first 100-200 metres as i travel, the textures on either side of the runway, i.e. the grass area continually morphs to different photoreal type textures.  I also reported a similar activity many months ago at Larnaca (Cyprus).

In Global setting I have Vector and Pilot's Ultimate active.

I am trying to obtain if possible, a sort of definitive answer to what aspects I need to look at in my system to find the cause of this morphing activity. I always try and solve the problems by trial and error regarding deactivating Vector, running AEC, or deactivating Ultimate or both but never seem to be able to pinpoint a resolution.

I understand the old adage about a corrupted Terrain cfg, but I am not convinced this is the source of the problem. The morphing only happens in Global and never in any FTX Region. All my library insertion points are correct.

Is there an answer that would generally fit in with "The causes of Texture Morphing" ?

Thanks for the links, but most do not relate to my problem which is strictly in Global not FTX Regions. I have done the backup Terrain cfg but all is still the same. There is mention in Holgers explanation that it can happen when the sim cannot find the relevant LandClass files, but i don't know what LC files would be in Global. I have installed Global Base which only replaces the Textures in Scenery\world\scenery\textures as far as i know, and no mention of any LandClass replacement. Maybe someone could clarify that. I have no other LandClass installations except OLC EU and NA/Alaska/Canada, which should not affect any other global area.

Does Global Base replace all the previous default textures in Scenery\world\scenery\textures or just some? If it is all then it would not be a Global Base problem. If it was "some" then maybe some original default files have been deleted that contained LC data?

When running Global I have the following sceneries activated: Night Environment for European countries, UK2000 airports, FTX Global Airports, OLC EU and NA, Vector and Pilots Ultimate Mesh, MT6 traffic. Non of those should effect an airport in Africa with the possible exception of Ultimate Mesh AFR.

Are there an suggestions as to which products I would need to reinstall  to get this annoying problem rectified?

Would a dev or qualified person please oblige and list the possible causes of texture bleeding/morphing?

I know only one cause which relates to a corrupt Terrain cfg.

I want to know so I can pursue rectifying the problems I come across at some places/airports when flying in Global around the world. Particularly textures that run alongside runways i.e. certain sections of grass areas running parallel to the runway will lose the grass effect and become more like ground texture as you travel down the runway.

I would be most grateful.

This is what I am talking about. left side texture shot showing bleeding textures which should be grass. This fault appears as i go down the runway for about 200 yards and then goes back to grass. Shot at Runway 23 $th February Airport Luanda, Angola

Just an example only of the problem in some of my FTX Global setting airports.

Capture1.jpg

Hi jjaycee1,

I too have noticed this affect around the globe in areas/airfields yet to have corrected landclass (FTX OLC), which I suspect may be the underlying cause of this effect at default airfields.  Holger Sandmann may have another viewpoint about these types of default airfield bleedthrough.

4th of February Airport - ICAO / FNLU - Luanda, Angola. Just went to this Default airfield and noticed the same thing, although where you have bleedthrough urban texture I have desert sands coming up through the grass and following the aircraft as it moves along the runway from 23 threshold. (This difference is because I don't have FTXVector) I am only using FTX Global Base for global areas. 

To complicate that further I am using FreemeshX where, with the African component checked in Scenery Library, the airfield was spawned in a trench, unchecking the FreemeshX component for Africa corrected the elevation but it did not alter the bleedthrough patch which follows the aircraft, so I don't think it is a consequence of higher res Mesh being used.

See pics

0cce6c97f523d52bb70ade009ec37d80.jpg

ca784ef9fa8501dbe0ef2bd2283f979d.jpg

b9badf68a24c66e09776e327e5efc718.jpg

Hi there,

this issue has been reported for a number of default airports. We also had them at a couple of the Region enhanced airports -- since patched -- and scratched our heads about the cause for a while but eventually figured out that it occurred where adjacent landclass polygons, e.g., grass and gravel polys at airports, have overly complex shapes; once we split the polys to provide them with simpler shapes the issue disappeared.

In other words, the issue is unrelated to terrain.cfg entries, and also not related to Global Base, but rather has to do with the geometry of the local polygons. Also, it only becomes visible at the highest displayed LOD meaning the user aircraft has to be very close and the issue moves along with the aircraft in that circular shape as seen in Jeff's screenshot. That's why we refer to it as "peeling" rather than morphing.

The only solution is to replace the current landclass polygons in that location with a different, simpler version. For the affected default airports I'd suggest looking through file libraries at Avsim etc., I seem to faintly remember that some of them have been fixed by others. 

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: to answer the question about Global Base: it replaces every single one of the the default landclass textures and autogen files in \Scenery\Wolrd\texture and, in fact, adds a couple thousand more -- additional seasonal variants, blend masks, and night textures made available via the extended landclass control file we provide.

Thanks again Holger for your detailed and informative response. I thought my topic post was going to fall in a crack.(no Pun intended Jeff, ref to your mesh problem!)

Holger what search criteria would i use to find the type of possible file that avsim might have. I have no idea what I would be seeking as far as a title or type of file i would need?

Archived