Keeping busy is important....

birdguy

Another reason to become fully involved in flight simming and other activities. 

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/159253/20160518/a-packed-daily-schedule-is-good-for-your-brain.htm

For we old timers keeping the synapsis firing is important as we grow older.  I'm very aware of this because my father died from Alzheimers or senile dementia.  I try to keep my brain active and P3D/Orbx is a big part of that.  Additionally I play the default Microsoft games every morning too...freecell, solitaire, hearts, minesweeper.  I am always taking one or two of the Great Courses. I still do some writing.  And every evening I watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.  I have this need to keep my mind active. 

Noel

Wow, great minds, I too take Great Courses and keep myself busy as my family is lousy with Alzheimer's.  I hike, sculpt clay, carve wood, flight sim, play Xbox and PS3 games, flight sim, play chess, write stories, flight sim, cook for the wife, tend her garden, flight sim, take care of my aquarium, help my neighbors, did I mention flight sim? :)

I completely agree Noel, I'll be 57 this July and I'm more busy than a one-armed paper hanger.

I have been keeping myself busy with sky and cloud design for years but it appears its time for me to find a new hobby and Im really not sure what that might be.  It was hard enough to find that I could do sky design (or so I thought).  Id take up fishing but fishhooks and tremors don't go together :)

For people looking for more to occupy their time I would recommend The Great Courses and continuing your education at your own pace.  I watch a 30 minute lecture every morning with my breakfast.  And I donate the ones I'm finished with to the grammar school I graduated from.  I recently finished The Persian Empire and Empires before Alexander.  Right now I am taking Understanding Japan, A Cultural History and Homer's Odyssey.  They aren't cheap, about 75.00 for a 24 lecture course, but well worth it to me.

Noel

Another great brain booster is young people. My wife and I spend quality time each week with our 21-year-old grandson and his 21-year-old fiancé. That interaction both helps us think a little quicker and also provides us with a window into the new generation's world--which is quite different from ours.

• 1 month later...

There is a saying in Spanish:  "Viejos lo cerros, pero reverdecen"

in English would be something like "Old hills and even greening"

This is what I think: My body might get old, but my mind shall not.

By all means, keep yourself busy. Before you find out You can do something no more, plan something else to do.

Archived