Problem with city 3d lights

Giuseppe R.

Good afternoon. 

I've got a serious problem with the night lighting of FTX global base, practically the 3d lights that I've seen in the product description don't work at all; the lighting is just like the default one... 

I've checked the light configurator; it's ok. I've also checked the ftx center 2, and everything seems to be normal. I bought the product yesterday, so I'm not very familiar with all the tools it offers... I've also read the manual.. It looks like the lights could appear automatically, but it's not so for me. My sim version is FSX sp2... all the products I've got there are 100% authentic. Hope you can help me. Thanks

Hi Guiseppe,

welcome to Orbx!

The light models are included with our Orbx libraries package so perhaps you haven't installed that yet? https://www.fullterrain.com/support#Orbxlibs

In addition, some of the lights require custom terrain.cfg entries, which are activated by pressing "Apply Group" in FTX Central. 

Last but not least those 3D lights are autogen objects (trees, in fact) so you'll need to make sure that your autogen density slider is not all the way to the left.

Cheers, Holger

On 8.5.2016 at 5:48 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Last but not least those 3D lights are autogen objects (trees, in fact) so you'll need to make sure that your autogen density slider is not all the way to the left.

Now that is interesting! I was not aware that these fantastic lights are actually autogen trees. Thanks for the insight, Holger!

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:33 AM, Giuseppe R. said:

Good afternoon. 

I've got a serious problem with the night lighting of FTX global base, practically the 3d lights that I've seen in the product description don't work at all; the lighting is just like the default one... 

I've checked the light configurator; it's ok. I've also checked the ftx center 2, and everything seems to be normal. I bought the product yesterday, so I'm not very familiar with all the tools it offers... I've also read the manual.. It looks like the lights could appear automatically, but it's not so for me. My sim version is FSX sp2... all the products I've got there are 100% authentic. Hope you can help me. Thanks

Hi! Have you fixed the problem yet? I just installed Global too and have the same issue, but am in the middle of installing the orbx library files or whatever (my internet is SLOW) and was just curious if your 3d night lighting problem was resolved while I wait for my snails pace internet to download this...

55 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

the light objects are part of the Orbx Libraries so, yes, they will need to be installed and activated for the 3D lights to display.

Cheers, Holger

thanks, but how exactly would you install them? I downloaded the file, and it gives me a message saying:

the pic is below, its empty?

Screenshot (25).png

5 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

the light objects are part of the Orbx Libraries so, yes, they will need to be installed and activated for the 3D lights to display.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger!

I feel like a nincompoop because I didn't read the part of your comment where you said to click "apply group", I did it and I now see the light! The lights look amazing!

Thanks!

PS. is there a way to make the lights extend further out? like 80 miles horizontally?

Hi there,

good to hear you've got this resolved. The 3D lights are autogen so their display range is the same as those of autogen buildings and trees. However, we have new tech in the works that will extend the view range and brightness for the main roads and intersections: 

Cheers, Holger

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

good to hear you've got this resolved. The 3D lights are autogen so their display range is the same as those of autogen buildings and trees. However, we have new tech in the works that will extend the view range and brightness for the main roads and intersections: 

Cheers, Holger

Ah, ok, but they wont be 3d lights because they won't be autogen? It looks a lot better in that video though, the 3d lights look great but that's the only thing ive noticed a bit off, when the lights just stop out in front of you and slowly load when you get closer, so yeah, that would be a huge improvement even if they wont be 3d because the stock P3D lights are terrible.

Is there also a way to make the lights slightly smaller? I think I noticed they're pretty large compared to what I've seen in others videos and screenshots...

Also, I have a question about Orbx Vector, does it impact Vas memory or possibly impact FPS? I'm fine with FPS because I have a pretty good system, actually really good, and will soon get AMD Vega when released to beef it up more but there may not be a point except for FPS... I'm worried about that stupid Vas (why 32 bit!!!) because I run my settings at the max with 4k textures at 4k resolution and I prefer to not have the risk of more OOM's.

Thanks

I'm not aware that Vector has any substantial effect on VAS or fps.  Other folks may disagree.  As long as you insist on using 4K textures, then you'll have to live with your OOMs.  If you can live with 2048 textures, your issues with OOMs might very well go away.

14 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I'm not aware that Vector has any substantial effect on VAS or fps.  Other folks may disagree.  As long as you insist on using 4K textures, then you'll have to live with your OOMs.  If you can live with 2048 textures, your issues with OOMs might very well go away.

Ah, thanks for the reply, yeah I'm just worried about OOM's, because apparently no matter the settings except for one or two things I get no FPS drops when going from low to the maximum, I got an OOM today and was extremely frustrated, after flying from Zurich to Stockholm in the PMDG 777 all was well, until I got right to the Airport and my FPS dropped from 30 to 10 and I heard a beep and then it took a dump on me, that rarely happens, actually almost never but when it does of course its right when you're about to land... I'd honestly rather have 4k textures and have the possibility of having an OOM, this is like playing Russian Roulette when it really shouldn't be in the first place if Lockheed Martin got with the 21st century and made it 64bit...

14 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I have a question for you though if you would be kind enough to answer, how do I install some of these freeware airports on Orbx's website? I downloaded some and it says the files are empty and there aren't any installers like with some others I've downloaded.

And I have the old version of the FTX lights configurator, how would I update that?

For the Lights configurator, try the freeware section here and scroll down to the bottom.  For the freeware airports, just a guess, but I would disable your antivirus software before I attempted the download them.  If the files are empty, that would seem to indicate your antivirus is blocking the download for some reason.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

For the Lights configurator, try the freeware section here and scroll down to the bottom.  For the freeware airports, just a guess, but I would disable your antivirus software before I attempted the download them.  If the files are empty, that would seem to indicate your antivirus is blocking the download for some reason.

Hmmm, that's what I did and it gave me the old 1.20 version... The only problem about the Freeware airports is that there is something in them, windows shows that there is data in the folders but wont let me unzip them and says they're empty, that's only happened with these airports and all the freeware stuff, that didn't happen before.... It's that same message above where I posted a screenshot.

But the lights download worked, but its still the old version...

Thanks

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Is there a newer version of the lights configurator?  I seem to recall 1.20 is the most recent version.

I saw in the FTX manual that there is a 2.0 Version that is easier to use and has some extra options, There is a screenshot of it below...

Screenshot (52).png

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

FTX Aero or FTX Lights Tweaker,  neither one is the "Lights Configurator".  I think you might be confused--download it from the freeware page and check it out again.  The interface/GUI is entirely different.

Yep, all I've got is the 3d lights configurator, Tweaker, the new fancy looking one in that picture doesn't seem to exist on my PC, and the one on the Freeware page is the lights configurator(the old one that I have).... And some of those Freeware files must have something wrong with them, I keep getting that stupid message when I try to open them.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:26 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

The "Tweaker", so-called, is in the .../Orbx/Scripts folder.  It's called "FTX Lights".  The "FTX Global Lights Configurator" is hardly old, however.  1.20 came out last October.

Ok, all is well now, I found the tweaker, thanks for that, and the freeware downloads worked, it was my slow internet connection, thanks.

Would you happen to know if going Crossfire with 2 AMD GPU's would give me any performance gain? Because I am thinking about getting another AMD Fury soon when prices collapse and it would be pointless to get another if I wouldn't see any or much of a gain in performance considering playing P3D is mostly what I do on my PC in my free time... thanks!

Archived