I Found the Solution to Stutters - The Holy Grail

fltsimguy

OK I exaggerate on the Holy Grail part.  It appears that all you have to do is spent a ton of money. :D

The following are the specs on my new gaming machine. It set me back $2,300 CDN not including tax which brought the total up to $2,700.

I have loaded all my Orbx products, payware and freeware, over a hundred...and UTX and REX and starting to add all the other odds and sods.

I fly at amazing frame rates.  Took an F18 up to 700 knts and no blurries, no stutter. Lowest fps are in Seattle area, San Francisco area, Brisbane where they drop to about 50, most everywhere else considerably higher up to 250.

I can fly anywhere, sliders on max, 50% traffic settings, full weather scenarios, flying smoothly and I never have a stutter, not even a micro stutter.  Hope this doesn't jinx me but this is so amazing a flight sim experience I have never had before.

INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Retail Box Skylake
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I V2 CPU Cooler System LGA1151/1150/1155/1156/AM2/AM3/FM1/FM2
ASUS Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 1PCI CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2133C15D-16GVR DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB(8GBX2) Memory Kit
MSI GeForce GTX 970 TwinFrozr V 1140/1279MHZ 4GB 7GHZ GDDR5 HDMI 2x DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Corsair CS850M CS Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified 850WATT 12V Power Supply Unit
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower EATX Black Case 3x 5.25EXT 6x 3.5INT 2x USB3.0 No PS
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64Bit DVD SP1 OEM *for NCIX PC Only*
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive; plus six internal Sata HDs - 24 Terabytes data storage, three masters, three images
ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer Black
Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Interior Multicolor LED Strip (1M)
Bitfenix Spectre BFF-BLF-12025R-RP 120mm Red LED Case Fan 1000RPM 43.5CFM 20DBA 3/4 Pin *OEM*
nGear USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader 3.5in Internal With Extra USB3.0 Port Black

I am in flight sim heaven.

5 minutes ago, Hobnobs said:

Talk about click-bait! :)

Congrats on the new system. I made a copy and paste into Notepad of your spec. Hope you don't mind.

Enjoy!

Absolutely no issue.

I fact the reason for sharing the specs is to provide users with info.  This system rocks...and I haven't even looked into overclocking or any other system tweaks.

I have the 4790K from last year now and I did one attempt at overclocking but then stopped. I found that running stock at 4.0 ghz is good enough for FSX. Trying to squeeze it to 4.4 or 4.6 was nominal and not really worth it. You are at 4.2 stock so you may find that is more then enough as well.

My view is running hot lowers life expectancy and I do expect up to 8 years out of a new machine as I do move older machines down the line with my business. FSX gets a new machine and the old one moves down the line into the finance system and the oldest machine ends up in reception where it eventually dies. But an 8 year old former FSX machine is still great for reception gaming, that one is now the Farm Sim machine which is the perfect reception game. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Hamilton said:

Goes back to JV's thread few years ago about the ultimate tweak being money.

Well I concur.  I started out thinking that I would spend $1,500 but that changed when I thought about the longer term, might as well break the bank.

6 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Great PC Bryan !  What monitor are you running your sim on ?

I am using two. 

A 40" HD TV and 27" Samsung S27D590.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27D590PS/ZA

I would love to upgrade the HDTV into something that would accept higher resolution.  But that is money I don't have yet.  It will come eventually.

So I run the main flights on the 40" at 1920 x 1080 and GTN, Plan-G or other supporting stuff on the 27" monitor at same resolution.

1 minute ago, Mikelab6 said:

So, your monitors are 30Hz (refresh rate) capable ?  This is giving you a smooth as butter experience ...

Actually everything is set to 60Hz.  Haven't looked into setting it for anything different?  Am I missing out on something?

I ask because I have the same CPU with a stronger 980 graphic card and anything lower than 60 FPS on my 60 HZ 32" monitor is causing jerky panning inside the VC.  As long as my FPS stay above 60, my sim experience is smooth as butter.  If FPS drop below 60 FPS, jerky VC panning occurs.  As you said your new sim experince was great, so I thought you probably use a 30 HZ refresh rate capable screen (most TVs are 30 Hz capable screen but not monitors).

A 30 Hz refresh rate screen with above 30 FPS will give a butter smooth experience.  As long as the FPS is higher than the refresh rate, the sim experince will be very smooth (VC panning in mind).  It's easier to keep a smooth experience on a 30 HZ capable screen than a 60 HZ screen because it's easier to keep the FPS above 30 than above 60. My best experience so far is running with Vsync ON to avoid image tearing, and manage to stay above 60 FPS. My next step will be to try on 30 HZ screens ....

Interesting.

All I can tell you is this.  I just flew a P-51 at 325 knts over KSEA Seattle.  70 + or - frames. Smooth as silk to use the worn out expression.  60 hz on all my settings including the HDTV.  The only time I got less than 50 frames everything still flowed well.

Perhaps also its the combo of hardware in my system.

Panning fast, smooth....did loops, barrel rolls...really exciting the folks on the ground at KSEA....lol.  Everything is beautiful...(knock on wood).

The only issue I am having is trying to get the lighting (brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma etc) set right for me using the NVidia control vs application.  I think I just got it how I like now...and I am using ENB Series mods as well.

14 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Good for you Bryan!  I'll bet that's one nice setup you have there.  What sim?  FSX?  P3D?

Hope you enjoy it!

Hi Jack.

I am/have reinstalled FSX (still working on it) and also bought P3Dv3+ and am starting to install into that.

Its a very time consuming thing for sure.

2 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Hi Jack.

I am/have reinstalled FSX (still working on it) and also bought P3Dv3+ and am starting to install into that.

Its a very time consuming thing for sure.

Nice!!!  Time consuming but it'll be worth it with a PC and monitors like that.  Best to ya!

On 27.4.2016 at 11:46 PM, Mikelab6 said:

I ask because I have the same CPU with a stronger 980 graphic card and anything lower than 60 FPS on my 60 HZ 32" monitor is causing jerky panning inside the VC.  As long as my FPS stay above 60, my sim experience is smooth as butter.  If FPS drop below 60 FPS, jerky VC panning occurs.  As you said your new sim experince was great, so I thought you probably use a 30 HZ refresh rate capable screen (most TVs are 30 Hz capable screen but not monitors).

A 30 Hz refresh rate screen with above 30 FPS will give a butter smooth experience.  As long as the FPS is higher than the refresh rate, the sim experince will be very smooth (VC panning in mind).  It's easier to keep a smooth experience on a 30 HZ capable screen than a 60 HZ screen because it's easier to keep the FPS above 30 than above 60. My best experience so far is running with Vsync ON to avoid image tearing, and manage to stay above 60 FPS. My next step will be to try on 30 HZ screens ....

Hi,

totally agree to that. I am running at 30 hz at a Samsung TV 40" HD using a Gigabyte GTX 980 TI G1 Gaming with I7-4790 at 4.5 GHz, Vsync ON Frames limited at 33.

Cheers Uwe

On 27.4.2016 at 0:21 AM, fltsimguy said:

Interesting.

All I can tell you is this.  I just flew a P-51 at 325 knts over KSEA Seattle.  70 + or - frames. Smooth as silk to use the worn out expression.  60 hz on all my settings including the HDTV.  The only time I got less than 50 frames everything still flowed well.

Perhaps also its the combo of hardware in my system.

Panning fast, smooth....did loops, barrel rolls...really exciting the folks on the ground at KSEA....lol.  Everything is beautiful...(knock on wood).

The only issue I am having is trying to get the lighting (brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma etc) set right for me using the NVidia control vs application.  I think I just got it how I like now...and I am using ENB Series mods as well.

Hi,

may be this is for you:

Cheers Uwe

21 minutes ago, Red1963 said:

Hi,

may be this is for you:

Cheers Uwe

Hi Uwe

Thanks, I did see this post last night and pulled the file off dropbox.  I haven't yet had a chance to look into it but thanks for thinking of me.

At this time, after much fiddling I now have two presets, one for regular computer work and one for my simmer using ENB series but I want to check out this shader pack.

cheers

Bryan

Archived