YBUD performance problem.

Jon Clarke

YBUD for P3D v3 (2.) installed but I have terrible performance with it. I do have all the boxes ticked in the Control Panel which I know will not help, but flying out of the airport and towards the township, which is not vast, my fps drops to single figures. This is not typical of the performance I get at the other payware AUS airports i have. With the same settings at YPEC my fps is in the 30's. Is there any particular object in the Control Panel that can cause such a performance hit? I know i can experiment, but would appreciate a response in regards to the potential fps killer in particular. Although not payware, the performance at Sydney is way better and has much more urban area to deal with + airline ai.

Need to clarify. The performance is OK in daytime but then drops drastically at dusk. I use REX for Dusk sky textures as well as day and dawn but something is not right.

Thanks daldana. I don't have any Ants Airports. I have checked my dusk REX textures and they are not the problem as they work with great fps(ie smoothness, for those who will tell me not to look at fps as long as the flight is smooth! No flight is Smooth when in single digit fps)) with the other regions.It's something in YBUD + my system that drops fps hugely when going to Dusk. Day=40+fps, Dusk 6-12 fps.

Just did a flight around YBUD at Dusk and had frames between 37 and 48 and perfectly smooth for the entire flying time.

My frame rate is set at unlimited and Textures set to 2048 x 2048. I have all my Scenery settings at maximum except Mesh which is at 5m, all Shadows on and at maximum but do not use HDR. AI Aircraft are set at 100%, Airport Vehicles at 0% and Road Traffic, Ships and Boats at 20%

I use relatively high nvidia settings the main ones being Antialiasing - Setting at 8xSQ [Combined: 2x2 SS + 2x MS] and Antialiasing - transparency Supersampling at 8x Sparse Grid Supersmpling.

OZx is installed but their YBUD is deactivated. I don't have REX Textures though.

I have no idea why you are having an issue and have been unable to replicate it. Is it possible to deactivate REX and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you Graham for taking time to look at my post. I had given up !

The fps figures you quote are what my sim normally runs at in most locations in Regions especially AU. I first thought my problem may be with the REX Dusk textures but I tried them in PNW and other FTX NA regions and had no adverse effect at all. What I do also notice is that the autogen seems to periodically disappear as I approach it and then returns. It is this aspect I feel may be causing the low fps as the system is reading the files, but Dusk is a problem. I have no problem at the other AU payware airports, nor freeware ones in AU, just YBUD. It was never like that before so I must have something erroneous happening with that particular scenery. I have reinatlled it a couple of times to no avail. I will reinstall again but this time remove all previous files rather that reinstalling it overwriting the existing installation.

Seeing as you cannot replicate my problem I doubt you may be able to further assist as the problem seems localised.

I will however report back in this thread after my experiments and hopefully you would be kind enough to monitor my response.

Completely reinstalled YBUD having removed all previous files. Changed REX dusk textures. Still cannot get fps above single figures when heading and flying over the autogen township.

Some comparison figures:

Dusk static on runway 32: Spot view: Look left=45 fps, Look straight down runway=24 fps, look right towards township=15 fps, look behind plane=42 fps.

Day time runway 32: Spot view:: Look left=50fps,look straight down runway=41 fps.look right towards township=36 fps, Look behind plane=51 fps Both scenarios with 85% GA ai (no airlines)

Conclusion might lead to REX dusk textures, but Kingsford Smith at dusk with same dusk textures as YBUD but airline ai @85% fps 28-36 all around the airport and city. Kingsford Smith is a much more autogen populated area but is not a payware airport.

Stumped as to what my YBUD problem is !!!!

Just did a couple of circuits at YBUD in the A2A Comanche, first one day time with clouds, second one dusk with clear skies.

fps set to 25 max.  Lowest fps was from the tall chimneys back to the CBD at dusk, as low as 17 briefly but still smooth.

Mine's FSX not P3D but it should behave the same in each sim.

YBUD Day.jpg

YBUD Flight.jpg

I will try that John,and report back. If it works it will be a unique situation. The problem appears to the ignorant like me to be related to a struggle my system is having with the autogen in the township. The default YBUD has the township autogen although the payware adds to that. Seeing that my performance in that area is poor with both versions is what is driving me to that conclusion. I base this on my performance abilities in all other AU airports and airfields, many of which are just as detailed if not more so than YBUD. YPEC for example has several areas of township, water, boats etc but performs well. As I pointed out in my last post, although default, Kingsford Smith is a huge localised area and all is good there, and all with exactly the same settings and times of day. What also baffles me is what changes occur between flying in the day with no problems, to flying at Dusk and resulting in a crawl. The only addition is my REX Dusk textures that I can think of. All my times of day have REX textures, Dawn, Day and Dusk and Dusk has no adverse effect in any other place in AU nor any other Region.

No difference in performance John except the fps drops lower than on unlimited. It appears as though if I make changes to the time of day without coming out of the sim then things get worse. I started a the initial flight at 11.18 am sat on runway 32 in spot view looking at the plane from a left to right view and was at 43fps. I then went to Time & season and just changed the time to 16.18 and the same view gave me 21fps. A loss of 50%. I then changed time to 13.00 and had 35 fps. Changed time again to 1630 and got 14 fps. Totally illogical considering that besides textures and lighting, the only thing that would change is the amount of traffic.

I am truly lost on this and now have the choice of only flying there in the mornings and keeping YBUD installed, uninstalling and flying the default again only in the day, or never going to YBUD. 1st world problems eh !!

Archived