AUYCDR lost in the woods.

psk2449

In April 2012 I bought Caloundra AUYCDR  (FSS0158662 4/4/12) and really have not used it. I have just used it for the first time and at first, the black loading worm crawled to 98% then Flight Simulator stopped working. The second time it loaded but the runway was in thick forest. When I took off anyway, clear of the trees everything was normal. So effective was the cammoflage that I could not relocate the runway for the forest. Checked that there was no conflicting other scenery files. Nothing. Just to double check all was up to date, I downloaded the latest  OBXLLIBS  160321 but when I tried to unzip, got the message "File Invalid". Tried reloading AUYCDR but same. I'm not sure what to do next. Incidentally, I think that on reading the forum I've been lucky to have had few if any problems with Orbx files, fingers crossed.  

Interesting.  Sounds like a conflict.  Maybe try disabling all your add on sceneries especially OZx etc confirm that YCDR default works then if it does, enavle the airport alone without AU scenery etc.  

Conflicts can be from a lot of places, including Traffic etc so you'll probably need to be quite methodical about what you enable one scenery at a time etc.

Removed the Orbx YCDR and left the tick in the box of scenery in Flight simulator and found that all reference to Caloundra has disappeared from the list of airports on Flight Simulator altogether. Seems that the default one has vanished? Tried with the list in Scenery unticked - the same. How could the default one vanish?

Still the same. No wonder I couldn't find a default one. Just to double check, I removed Orbx YCDR and ran the FSX Repair to re establish the default. When I set up a flight from YDCR I found myself flying over endless water and the listing on FSX had reverted to Seattle. Reloaded Orbx YDCR and the loading fails still at about 76% and shuts down Flight Simulator. Cannot figure out what is causing the conflict. First Orbx product I've had a failure with. Everything else is perfect.

Standard questions.

1-  Did you install the latest library files ?

2-  Did you after installing the library files, open FTX Central, and apply "Oceania"  as your active area?

Yes. Tried all options. Have just discovered a strange duplication in YCDR Traffic files. In Flight Simulator X, Scenery-World- Scenery I have two Caloundra Traffic Files-

Traffic bgl

Traffic bgl OFF

In Flight Simulator X - ORBX,  I have a separate Scenery -World - Scenery file containing another  Caloundra Traffic bgl file.

How I ended up with three I don't know. Surely there should only be one?

That one in the ORBX folder must be a misdirect in the installer... I have it as well and I just deleted it.

If you're using the Australian AI package from ORBX, you should delete the Traffic.bgl file in the main World\Scenery folder.  If you're not using the AI program, then delete the .OFF extension file.  Either way you should only have one file.

Generally, if there are two versions of a scenery file, the bgl and the OFF version, it is because scenery was deleted and reinstalled without all files being deleted, which unfortunately is a manual process.  it's not a biggie I sometimes find files I've missed as well.  Often the only evidence is greyed out or unselectable options in the control panel.

At any time you can search FSX for the ICAO code and the airport name in the folder search and this will generally show up all the files you need to delete to completely remove scenery... on the proviso that you don't delete files requirted by any other scenery package!

That's a relief! I still can't find a reason for Flight Simulator to shut down at approx 76% of loading YCDR. I'll look up the thread for removing ORBX files and remove all of YCDR and start again with a new download and see if that shows up anything.Thanks for your help. I'm determined to fix this thing. Never had a failure with an ORBX  file before.

• 1 month later...

I have finally given up on AUYCDR. I have removed all traces of AUYCDR, refreshed Flight Simulator from the original disk, got a fresh download from FSS,reloaded the whole thing and Flight Simulator still stops working when this airfield is selected for flight. I even got sneaky and tried flying to AUYCDR from Brisbane, but FS stopped working when I was about 30NM from the field. I loaded the whole thing onto my old computer to test and it worked perfectly. Seems the fault is that Flight Simulator and this computer just doesn't like this airport. I'll just write it off as a loss and close this subject.

Gad second time to write this the first one fell into the black hole of dropouts...

There's gotta be a reason.  I remember when i was testing YBBN and YCDR that there was a point over Bribie Island where I too would have the sim shut down.  Cannot for the life of me remember what the cause was but I did find a solution eventually.

This is what i would have done:

Used only a default aircraft such as the C172 or the trike.  

Unticked all sceneries other than the original FSX default, plus AU SP4 and YCDR especially Add-on scenery, ANTS, OZx etc.

Cut and pasted to a temporary location all the files in World\Scenery\Scenery showing a date after 2007.

Reduced all sliders in FSX to minimums and turned off traffic, ships ferries etc.

Turned off all the CP extras in YCDR.

Cycled FSX twice to ensure the scenery database has definitely been built properly.  With all those non-standard aspects of FSX off, I'd be very surprised if you don't have a working FSX.

If you do successfully fly from the default YBBN to YCDR or start a flight at YCDR, try adding all the scenery components as above one at a time until you find which one is causing the error or conflict.

If you still can't get it working, then is it possible that you have FSX installed to the default Program Files (x86) folder?  If the permissions for that folder and your User folder aren't set to maximum sharing and access, you can find that some required files might not get written or accessible during the install process.

You paid good money for the scenery you should be able to use it.

• 4 months later...

Accidentally found the answer when changing the priority of scenery on another airfield. Found YCDR worked perfectly as long as it was given 1-4 priority on the scenery file. Thanks for all advice. Can now enjoy this excellent scenery. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Archived