Buy FS Global Ultimate ?

sim123

Is buying FS Global Ultimate a useful investment ? , when you have installed FTX Global , OrbxVector, Orbx LC 's and Fat regions

what will add FS Global Ultimate America and Europe extra to my sim experience.

Have read many opinions , but like to hear from people from Orbx what I can expect more when using it or leaving it out of me sim

beside 101 GB space saving on my SSD.

looking forwards to your replies.

I am not orbx but do have Ultimate and it has enhanced my sim. My opinion though is based on not having something like Global 2010 previously installed to do a comparison of before and after. There are areas in Ultimate which the mesh is 2m (some parts of the US I believe) which is greater than Global 2010.Also Ultimate uses much better SourceData than Global 2010. Details of the differences are available at the PILOTS website,(shame they don't have a forum where questions can be asked !!!) My default mesh settings in all regions and other FTX products is 2m and with no adverse effects at all, which is higher than some of the recommended Mesh settings in some regions advised by orbx.

I had both Global and Ultimate installed, and used Ultimate most of the time, but found that I had frequent elevation problems making quite a lot of the airports unusable, even after using the elevation correction tool built in, and/or also the FTX one.

I now use just Global, and find that things are much better.

I have compared the scenery using both and to be honest can rarely see any difference.

Brit.

Hi sim123,

FTX Global was designed by developers using FS Global 2010 FTX Edition, so it's recommended by ORBX. But as FS Global Ultimate provides the latest and most accurate terrain/ mesh data, I chose this one for my sim. It has the most recent data from 2013 and higher detail than Global 2010, which however can be seen only at some places and when flying clsoe to the ground.

FS Global Ultimate Bundle (not 2010) takes 101 GB, when you install all three packages. But you may buy only one or two packs depending on where you plan to fly most of your time. For example, if your flights are limited to the Americas then FS Global Ultimate Americas is actually the best there is. A division on two drives is possible in order to save space, e.g. install FSX/ P3D on C:. and FS Global on D:. My three packages are installed on E:, a 495 GB HDD, while P3D runs on F:, a 120 GB SSD.

Ultimate uses the latest available data from 2013 with the highest available resolution. That's why it's so much larger with its 121 GB than Global 2010 with only 25GB.

I bought Ultimate Bundle in winter 2014, because I wanted to see the most accurate elevation details wherever I'm flying. Many people say, they notice no difference between Ultimate and 2010, But that is, because when flying thousand meters above the ground it's hard to spot terrain details of 1 - 19 meters.

They make a huge difference concerning terrain so you'll see mountains, hills and valleys as they appear in reality. Additionally, openLC adds textures which make up the surface we see, like forests, deserts or fields. It doesn't depend on Mesh products like FS Global. Nonetheless, using all components (Mesh + FTX Global, Vector and openLC) delivers the most precise data available for flight simulation. Moreover, FTX Vector has been designed to place airports at their correct real world elevations. Therefore, without a suitable mesh addon pack you're going to get issues for many airports in mountainous areas.

Regions and airports themselves aren't affected by FS Global, because sceneries like KEKA come with their own precise mesh. However, the surrounding mountains outside of KEKA's coverage will look exactly as they appear in reality. But since the mountains in that area are quite round, it maybe difficult to see differences between default mesh and Global mesh when flying on high altitudes.

Some FTX Global freeware sceneries like LIDA Asiago depend on a mesh software for a correct rendition, while others don't need it but will look more realistic in surrounding areas.

I think that PILOT'S invested years of research and work on providing the most precise terrain data for flight simulation while using performance efficiently, like using less detail in flat areas where you wouldn't notice higher detail.

There is an increase in loading time when I start up P3D and when loading a new flight. It takes 2 minutes to start the sim and 1 - 2 minutes to load a flight. Without FS Global Ultimate both lasted only seconds. Nonetheless, performance and framerates aren't affected by the amount of data once the sim is running.

Greetings,

Bermuda

A very good  explanation Bermuda and it reflects the benefits of Ultimate. Each to their own though. If someone is happy with Default, FreeMesh, FS Global mesh or Ultimate, then so be it. Ultimate is very large and also expensive for world coverage (the most expensive addon I have ever bought and twice the price of P3D itself) but the enhancement it brings was worth every penny. Again, only my opinion.

Archived